Let's get negative, you know?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Let's get negative, you know?

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:52 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 pm
budda12ax7 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:44 pm
Oh, shit. Yeah, social distortion is a great example of a terrible band that makes terrible music. Them and Bad Religion. Both have "hot" sounding names, something that play at being provocative somehow, but don't really meet that goal. And both make music completely devoid of the things that make music good, like dynamics or vocals that have more than one note.

Super harsh....I get bad religion anything the past 15 years. Social D, white heat white light is a great CD.
Shoulda been called "hot shit hot mess". I'm sure it's a great CD to use as a coaster, but the least terrible way to apply it to one's ears would be to break it and shove the shards through one's eardrums.
hahahahah.....oh good one. I guess you don't like his country music stuff?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:53 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:52 am
mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 pm
budda12ax7 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Super harsh....I get bad religion anything the past 15 years. Social D, white heat white light is a great CD.
Shoulda been called "hot shit hot mess". I'm sure it's a great CD to use as a coaster, but the least terrible way to apply it to one's ears would be to break it and shove the shards through one's eardrums.
hahahahah.....oh good one. I guess you don't like his country music stuff?
Can't stand his voice.
This is an excellent rectangle

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 am
Just remembered this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfifoXL-D-g

good luck finding anything worse than that

:whistle:
Wow! That’s pretty painful. My wife was sitting across the couch from me when I played it and she stopped what she was doing to say, “What the hell is that?”as if a scabies-ridden had rat just traipsed into the room, took a shit on the floor, and wiped its ass on the drapes. Well played, Sauerkraut!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:41 pm

What's wrong with you, Larry? Do you NOT want to live in America? Do you hate freedom? I think you do. I think you hate being free. The beauty of being free is that you're free to move to the Soviet Union whenever you like.

There was a song that I was thinking of, but then I watched that video, and now I don't remember what I wanted to post. See, I know that you're thinking "that's because the song you just heard was that much worse" but it's because I couldn't stop rockin'.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:59 pm

I do hate freedom, always have.

Let's face it, in an autocratic nation with a strong ruler, would he permit something like that Bobby and the Midnites song? Fuck no.

What good is freedom if that's the result?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:15 am
Grey wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:45 am
This stuff posted so far is pretty lowkey, you gotta step it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiWeClAk4g
from the comments section:

Apparently he has a lot of followers because that's pretty much what Guitar Center sounds like every time I walk in.
Savage.
Yea, it's pretty bad. It's got to be intentional.

Another comment from the video:
"When you try to be Jeff Beck, but become Lil Wayne."
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:59 pm
I do hate freedom, always have.

Let's face it, in an autocratic nation with a strong ruler, would he permit something like that Bobby and the Midnites song? Fuck no.

What good is freedom if that's the result?
It depends what autocratic nation. Clearly, they weren't playing any concerts in Moscow with that toe tappin' hit. But do you think your buddy Trump would put the kibosh on that song? Of course he wouldn't. What good is autocracy if that's the result? That's the logical conclusion of your self-defeating line of reasoning, you pinko.

Of course, it's an anthem to freedom, made in a free country, where music is free to be awesome. So there's no point in trying to turn that around, because you clearly have a poor ear for a good tune! And you know what? If you liked freedom like you're supposed to, that love of freedom would have given you a properly developed sense of taste. Don't blame Bob Weir or all the drugs he took for your own personal shortcomings, you Marxist!

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:56 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:19 pm
Holy fucking shit.
i saw them on that tour...
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:59 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:19 pm
Holy fucking shit.
a little known fact is that the animators form "Cars" used this video as a model
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:38 am

jakeisjake wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:56 am
That took courage to share that with us, Jake. Thank you.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:38 am
jakeisjake wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:56 am
That took courage to share that with us, Jake. Thank you.
my skin was thickened by that other thread ;) ;D

they were not nearly as bad as that video.

bobby takes serious grief from deadheads about that vid.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:05 am

If it helps, I'll share my own story. There was a time, in my younger years, when I found myself in a situation so sordid that it's hard to talk about to this very day.

I saw the Spin Doctors perform.

I did. It was a youthful mistake that I'll have to live with for the rest of my life. It was right around the time when they were on the radio, you know, with their songs like "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong", "Two Princes" and... and... "Jimmy Olsen's Blues." Yeah. The one with the scat singing and the slapped bass.

It wasn't an accident, either. I don't recall the situation exactly, but at some point a transaction occurred, where I would have said something like, "Here is some money. I would like to give you this money so I can see the Spin Doctors perform music," and the person at what could have been some kind of counter might have replied, "Here is a 'ticket'. This 'ticket' will allow you to enter the venue where the Spin Doctors will be performing their songs, and possibly 'rapping' with the kids between songs, should you choose to use this 'ticket'".

And God help me, I did. I'd like to think that my eyes were on the ground as I handed the ticket to the man at the venue. I'd like to think I flinched as at the crack of whip when he tore it in half and handed a portion of it back to me. I don't know... I just... don't know.

I still hear it all now, in my nightmares. The slapping of the bass... oh, the incessant slapping of that bass. The major seventh chords playing a rhythm that was, I realized later with horror, someone's interpretation of what "funky" was supposed to be.

The goatèe. Heaven help me. The goateé.

Sometimes, I wake up, screaming. Or I think I'm screaming. Can you scream when you are drowning in your own soul?

I don't know. My wife asks me, "What's wrong?" She's a good woman. Deserves better.

"Nothing, sweetheart," I tell her. "Nothing. Just the nightmares again. Maybe this will be the last one."

But I know it won't.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 am

I narrowly escaped the same fate. They were opening for the rolling Stones. We showed up late because my friend is perpetually tardy. We met her sister at the show. She was bummed at having just watched the spin doctors.

We also all saw Sheryl Crow together. She was supposed to headline, but she was the odd one out on the bill and everyone was there to see the cramps. So rather than let her play to three people, they put the cramps on last.