Let's get negative, you know?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Let's get negative, you know?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 am

for me, if something is bad enough to be put on this list, it has to have NO redeeming qualities, it has to be irritating while at the same time overplayed/overrated and as formulaic as possible. there is a lot that i feel could be put in all those categories. for example, i like a lot of old school hiphop and quite a bit of the modern stuff. but i hate the combination of trends in hiphop where you have to brag about how much money you have, boring trap rap beats and repeating the same line over and over again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ

another thing that annoyed me is the white guy acoustic pop. think ed sheeran, but in my mind, not even the ginger boglin could produce a song this skin crawling. i find this one makes the most sense if you picture a man with a neck beard, fedora and who calls himself "a nice guy" sings this to you. plus i love how the video treats domestic abuse like "if there is a nice guy in your life, he can save you"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2yjAdbvdQ

this one kinda combines a lot of trends i hate in modern rock. aka that modern rock should barely sound rock. now im not saying we should go back to the 80's hair metal or the 70's bbc style rock. but the fact i have hear this song in so many adverts and blairing out of so many trendy clothing shops..... i think in the year it's been out, i'd be more than happy never to hear it again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKopy74weus

and because you all knew it was coming from me and how much i've railed on the band in the past.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx1Bh8ZvH84

if it wasnt for the neil cicierega remix, i would have mentioned it sooner.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:07 pm

I think I hate more stuff now than I like, but I'm better able to shrug off compared to the past. I just ignore what I hate now.

I hate, or simply am incapable of understanding, modern rap music and anything produced by teenagers with face tattoos and heavy appetites for prescription painkillers. I also really hate this "Rockstar" pop rappy thing, but it might be a transient hate, because I suspect it will end up in the dustbin of music history soon enough. Enjoy that gem here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UceaB4D0jpo

So with that out there, my nomination for worst song ever, at least to my ears, is "We Are The World." No point in linking to it, your ears are probably already bleeding. Noble intentions aside, it's just an awful song, and I can't even find fun in it, the way I can with something like Europe's "The Final Countdown." Even "We Built This City," which is also horrific, can be kind of funny in its depravity. "We Are The World" is just egos run amok, self importance and a dreadful tune by people who at one point were capable of the best.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:44 pm
Oh, shit. Yeah, social distortion is a great example of a terrible band that makes terrible music. Them and Bad Religion. Both have "hot" sounding names, something that play at being provocative somehow, but don't really meet that goal. And both make music completely devoid of the things that make music good, like dynamics or vocals that have more than one note.

Super harsh....I get bad religion anything the past 15 years. Social D, white heat white light is a great CD.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:46 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lw6MZBmY-U

The worst shitstick music ever produced, played and filmed.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:44 pm
Oh, shit. Yeah, social distortion is a great example of a terrible band that makes terrible music. Them and Bad Religion. Both have "hot" sounding names, something that play at being provocative somehow, but don't really meet that goal. And both make music completely devoid of the things that make music good, like dynamics or vocals that have more than one note.

Super harsh....I get bad religion anything the past 15 years. Social D, white heat white light is a great CD.
Shoulda been called "hot shit hot mess". I'm sure it's a great CD to use as a coaster, but the least terrible way to apply it to one's ears would be to break it and shove the shards through one's eardrums.
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 am
for me, if something is bad enough to be put on this list, it has to have NO redeeming qualities, it has to be irritating while at the same time overplayed/overrated and as formulaic as possible. there is a lot that i feel could be put in all those categories. for example, i like a lot of old school hiphop and quite a bit of the modern stuff. but i hate the combination of trends in hiphop where you have to brag about how much money you have, boring trap rap beats and repeating the same line over and over again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ
Oh my God.
s_mcsleazy wrote:

another thing that annoyed me is the white guy acoustic pop. think ed sheeran, but in my mind, not even the ginger boglin could produce a song this skin crawling. i find this one makes the most sense if you picture a man with a neck beard, fedora and who calls himself "a nice guy" sings this to you. plus i love how the video treats domestic abuse like "if there is a nice guy in your life, he can save you"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2yjAdbvdQ
no... it just.. I mean...
s_mcsleazy wrote:

this one kinda combines a lot of trends i hate in modern rock. aka that modern rock should barely sound rock. now im not saying we should go back to the 80's hair metal or the 70's bbc style rock. but the fact i have hear this song in so many adverts and blairing out of so many trendy clothing shops..... i think in the year it's been out, i'd be more than happy never to hear it again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKopy74weus
I just threw up, and slipped on my own vomit, and now my blood is mixing with the vomit, and my tears of course, but none of that is all that bad because it might mean I'm going to die, and if I don't go to hell, I'll never see anything like that video again.

I've never been so happy to lapse into the banality of Wonderwall before in my life.

Fuck, music is terrible. Sean just punched me in the dick.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:04 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:46 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lw6MZBmY-U

The worst shitstick music ever produced, played and filmed.
Yeah, Queens of the Stone Age fucking suck. This "generation's" Stone Temple Pilots, except not as good, and STP was fucking terrible. I say "generation" because the Queens of the Stone Age are as old as dirt, and if there's anything that's super lame it's a group of men naming themselves after a woman like... well, I think they think it's "ironic" or "clever".
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Meat and potatoes punk is even worse than meat and potatoes heartland classic rock. Just listen to Bob Seger already, he's actually kind of good, and no one is buying the punk veneer.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 am

Just remembered this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfifoXL-D-g

good luck finding anything worse than that

:whistle:

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:57 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 pm

as my essex girl of a mother always used to say, dont be afraid to hit em in the dick.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:30 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:35 pm
No reason not to put a donk on it.
I actually kinda enjoyed that. It doesn't take itself too seriously, at least.

I think that's what all the worst examples in this thread have in common - an unswerving belief in their own significance.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:06 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:57 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 pm

as my essex girl of a mother always used to say, dont be afraid to hit em in the dick.
Or stab 'em in the balls.
This is an excellent rectangle

Mickster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mickster » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:06 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:57 am

Or stab 'em in the balls.
:wtf:
Yay! Oh do let's keep going with the jokey sexual violence stuff - Larry, can you go one further than these two?? I bet you can if you try... :fp:

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:42 pm

Maroon 5 - What Lovers Do
I mean, all Maroon 5 songs are the worst song ever, but this one is especially vile. The guy's voice always sounds like he's taken a swig of milk and not quite managed to swallow it all, but it's particulaly bad in the intro to this song.
Plus, it sounds like the lyrics of the chorus go "ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh I'mma shit for you".

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 am

Oh god, Maroon 5. They're up there with Chainsmokers in the active promotion of musical evil. I'll add "Moves LIke Jagger" to the list of horrors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEPTlhBmwRg

Reasons for hate: It got a lot of airplay and was hard to avoid. It was sort of earwormy, but still terrible, and I'd feel bad about pretty much all music while it got in my head. Crappy disco vibe, stupid concept, and they drag the "Genie in a Bottle" lady down for getting involved. It also irritates me that Maroon 5 is technically a band with guitars and basses and drums, but all I ever hear from them is the singer and machines. Those bastards made a deal with the devil, and I hope we're all there to see the Dark Lord come to collect.