Hampshire & Foat - The Honeybear

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hampshire & Foat - The Honeybear

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 am

about
After the success of ‘Galaxies Like Grains of Sand’, Warren and Greg retreated back to the Isle of Wight to start work on long discussed concept album based on a fictional children’s book The Honey Bear. Each track a chapter of the book, hypnotic folk pieces mixed with ambient field recordings that Warren and Greg collected around the beaches, cliffs and gardens of the island.

They brought everything together at home, organically forming this beautiful ambient folk tale during the island’s idyllic summer evenings. After finishing the initial mixes on the island they brought the tapes up to Scotland and overdubbed with Strings, Oboe and Flute. Whether you're 5 or 50, the charm and beauty of The Honeybear is undeniable,

Hampshire & Foat - The Honeybear (full stream)

BEAUTIFUL pastoral neo classical folk album. It's out on Athens of the North but it could just as easily have come out on Clay Pipe. It's very much like a long lost pastroral Library record. but in the bandcamp comments someone mentions Robert Kirby who arranged for Nick Drake and this is a pretty good comparison shout. I'm mainly doing a thread on it becuase the cover doesn't exactly scream 'BUY ME' and I'd imagine most folk seeing it in a shop will just jog on by and miss the magic.

I think the big thing with this is the sound it just sounds 'right'.

It's not out for a week but I'd advise buying it as soon as you can because the previous album Galaxies Like Grains of Sand went quickly and sells for double on the secondary market. You get an instant download of the whole album.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hampshire & Foat - The Honeybear

Post by NickD » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:47 am

...less than a hundred left.

I've got mine already ordered and resisting temptation to listen to the digital before it arrives.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:37 am

^^Holding off on the digi while I await my copy too; can't wait. Still keeping a keen ear to the ground for a reasonably priced copy of Galaxies Like Grains of Sand as well.

Thanks again for the recommendation, to be honest if I saw this cover in the shop I'd probably be crossing the Darien Gap to avoid whatever was contained within but hey, goes to show you really can't judge a book by its cover.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 am

WOW! The Honey Bear is super gorgeous!

D

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Thankfully have just found a new copy elsewhere and ordered it. Brilliant.

D, did you see Claypipe is about to repress Plith's usic for Smalls Lighthouse

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:03 pm

nanamour wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:37 am
^^Holding off on the digi while I await my copy too; can't wait. Still keeping a keen ear to the ground for a reasonably priced copy of Galaxies Like Grains of Sand as well.

Thanks again for the recommendation, to be honest if I saw this cover in the shop I'd probably be crossing the Darien Gap to avoid whatever was contained within but hey, goes to show you really can't judge a book by its cover.
Looks like HMV in Ireland still have copies but they don't ship outside the UK!!!

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:14 pm

sammynb wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:03 pm
Looks like HMV in Ireland still have copies but they don't ship outside the UK!!!
Thanks for the hot tip! I'll see if a UK pal can sort me out :)

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 am

D
It is though, isn't it?

It was the soundtrack to my Sunday morning, a glimpse of spring through the rain.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:58 pm

NickD wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 am
shadowplay wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 am

D
It is though, isn't it?

It was the soundtrack to my Sunday morning, a glimpse of spring through the rain.
Yeah, I've said if before but it bears saying again, they just have 'that' sound.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 am

New album out called Nightshade; Library Music Volume One.

Lovesly as my youngest in wont to say. :-*

Again...just has 'that' sound.

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:40 am

Galaxies Like Grains of Sand has been repressed!

(Annoyingly 3 days after I bought the new one so I'm paying postage twice, but these things happen)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:55 am

There's a new elpee out on the 22nd called The Mage. It's been out on digital for a wee while but the vinyl drops :k on the 22nd. It's up for preorder if you look but I can't see a direct buy. The sleeve has a serious homebrewed private press vibe for me.

I've not heard anything beyond Of My Hands, since I'm waiting on the vinyl which is the opening track and it's a bejesused towering folk jazz masterblaster, that's going to make a believer of us all :o but Lady S got me to buy her the digital which is a piffling fiver at Bleep and she's had it in her car for a wee while and she tells me it's magick and she's particularly been swept up by the track Drifting.

Actually I just listened to it and I must say I'm adoring it's beautiful combination of ethereal modal (?) jazz, mothlight folk and weighty breaks. I'm no Jazz expert but this might be their most 'jazz' release in this AOTN series, while still having that unshakable feeling that this some incredible old record you've just unearthed in a bargain bin or baroque bordello.

The whole thing is streamable on Yootoob ; Hampshire & Foat - The Mage.
Greg Foat's 9th album 'The Mage' joins the dots between the past and future of British jazz. Enlisting the talenst of jazz/library/soundtrack legends Duncan Lamont, Art Themen, Ray Russell and Clark Tracey to collaborate with their modern contemporaries Greg Foat, Moses Boyd and Heliocentric's drummer Malcolm Catto to create something undeniably British but outward looking and global.

A long time personal ambition for Greg was to work with Trinidadian songstress Kathy Garcia, on 'The Mage', this wish is granted as she joins him to re-imagine the deep Xian masterpiece 'Of my Hands', 45 years after recording it as a young girl.

Greg's compositions and arrangements showcase the old and new, downtempo folkscapes, free jazz with notes of hip-hop and soul from the young team flavouring the mix. Featuring Simon Ljungman and Friends as a male choir, Greg's EMS Synthi AKS experiments (made famous by Dr Who) the album is a testament to the versatility and pure musicality of all those involved and Greg Foat's ability to bring artists together to record beautiful, timeless music.

#Greg Foat's 9th album joins the dots between the past and future of British jazz. Bringing Jazz/Library/soundtrack legends Duncan Lamont, Art Themen, Ray Russell and Clark Tracey to the table with modern contemporaries Moses Boyd and Heliocentric's drummer Malcolm Catto. A long time personal mission for greg was to work with Trinidadian singer Kathy Garcia, she joins him on The Mage to re-record the deep Xian masterpiece 'Of my Hands' 45 years after recording it as a young girl.

Greg's compositions and arrangements showcase the young and old, downtempo folkscapes, free jazz with Notes of Hip-Hop and Soul from the young team flavouring the mix. Featuring the Simon Ljungman male choir, Gregs EMS Synthi AKS experiments (made famous by Dr Who) the album is a testament to the versatility and pure musicality of all those involved and Greg Foat's ability to bring artists together and make beautiful timeless music that moves deeply.
(lifted from Piccadilly Records who have a preorder up)

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:40 am

Thanks for the heads up, I have it on alert now.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:03 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:55 am
It took so long to appear on vinyl that I forgot about it, but I just picked a copy up from my local record shop.

Definitely the most jazz of their collaborations, must be why it’s labelled as a Greg Foat album. There is a bit of an early 70’s vibe to it, and I think you are spot on with the folk element. Lovely.

Nice to see Duncan Lamont still playing, and on something that isn’t Music For Pleasure crap.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:37 pm

I have discovered so much music on this forum thanks to you guys (mainly Shadowplay) & have thoroughly enjoyed exploring Hampshire & Foat. I just wanted to express my gratitude.
We are merely moving shadows.