The WFMU appreciation thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

The WFMU appreciation thread

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:24 am

I think it's high time for some WFMU love around these parts. It might be hard to imagine for those of us who've known and loved the station for many years (and whose lives were inadvertently changed for the better when we first came across it), but a lot of people are still not aware it even exists.
Why listen to the mighty WFMU? Because it's the world's best radio station by light years, because listener sponsored radio is the best and only way, because the Duane Train, because Hearty White, because a ton of other great shows, because it's where Ira Kaplan goes to DJ and Yo La Tengo play their cover shows, because of the Free Music Archive: http://freemusicarchive.org/, because it's easily streamable, because so often I get to hear things I would never have come across by myself (for better or worse, I'm grateful either way) and for so many more reasons...

:-* :-* :-* All hail the fun 91! :-* :-* :-*

https://wfmu.org/

Soggy Donkey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: The WFMU appreciation thread

Post by Soggy Donkey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:50 am

Hey Sauerkraut, I just saw this post. I am not lying when I say that one reason I bought my house is because of WFMU. Not kidding -- we were looking at two homes, and one picked up the signal, the other didn't. I know, I know, Interwebs, etc., but there is something about getting the transmitter signal. I have been a fan and supporter since the '90s, and it's amazing how little has changed. I remember hearing the Best Show for the first time, back when Scharpling was threatening to quit/kill himself every week, and then, yeah, catching Ira the K subbing for someone. The record fair is something to behold, too. It's incredible what an asset to my musical education this station has been. I have never heard more experienced, weird, idiot-savant DJs anywhere else, and it's like ALL of them. There isn't a bad time to listen.

I cannot count how many FMU tee-shirts I have, and huge-ass bumperstickers. Every car I've owned has some kinda FMU sticker on it. The only time I don't listen is when Solomon's doing his x-mas show. Someday it will be gone, I know, and that will be a sad sad day. How on earth is a free-form station like this even on the air still? It's just amazing.

edit to include a link so peeps know what's up: https://wfmu.org/

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The WFMU appreciation thread

Post by jakeisjake » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:59 pm

i loved FMU when i lived in the NYC area.

another really great station is WXPN in philly.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...