Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
User avatar
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by burpgun » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:26 am

Any of you see these Quincy Jones interviews that just popped up? Comical stuff from an 85 year old man who seems to give zero fucks about anything. He says the Beatles "were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard. " Then he trashes Ringo's drumming even more harshly.

I was really quite surprised by all of this. While I know Jones' has a long career in jazz, pretty much the only reason I know about him is because of Michael Jackson and "We Are The World," a cheesy bit of 80s junk. So to me, he's a pop guy. I'm sure a major part of Jones' bile is rooted in his age, but regardless, it's still strange. Even if the Beatles weren't the greatest musicians in the world, the parts they played in recording the songs they wrote are, obviously, some of the most recognizable recordings ever made. Whether or not they were the best instrumentalists is a side issue, and you'd think Jones would recognize that. Maybe it's the jazzman in him and some underlying belief virtuosity and versatility trumps a distinctive playing style. I don't know. What do you think?

Interview is here: http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-j ... ation.html

User avatar
Telliot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9431
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by Telliot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:39 am

Between that and the GQ article, he's been pretty active in the I-Have-Zero-Fucks-To-Give category. He also says Marlon Brando had sex with Richard Pryor.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

User avatar
Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1881
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by Grey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:42 am

burpgun wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:26 am
I'm sure a major part of Jones' bile is rooted in his age, but regardless, it's still strange.
Paul McCartney is 75 and hasen't turned into a miserable old cunt yet last I checked. He's also still out there playing and making music, when was the last time Quincy Jones did anything relevant? 25 years ago? Age is no excuse.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 24070
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 am

burpgun wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:26 am
So to me, he's a pop guy.
You say like that's a bad thing or like the Beatles aren't pop music...there is no shame in pop music. I'm not too bothered with reading up what he's says since I've no interest in the Beatles whatsoever and find the endless media brouhaha somethign to avoid but Quincy Jones has been involved in some amazing music.

Checketh;Quincy Jones - Summer In The City

I can forgive him We Are The World, as you can forgive McCartney The Frog Chorus, Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time and Obladi Oblada three songs that will surely await me in hell.

D
Come on Barbie, let's go party!

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1883
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 am
Location: U.S. of fuckin' A.

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:45 am

Telliot wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:39 am
Between that and the GQ article, he's been pretty active in the I-Have-Zero-Fucks-To-Give category. He also says Marlon Brando had sex with Richard Pryor.
Pryor's widow backed him up on this one.

User avatar
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by burpgun » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:55 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 am
burpgun wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:26 am
So to me, he's a pop guy.
You say like that's a bad thing or like the Beatles aren't pop music...there is no shame in pop music. I'm not too bothered with reading up what he's says since I've no interest in the Beatles whatsoever and find the endless media brouhaha somethign to avoid but Quincy Jones has been involved in some amazing music.

Checketh;Quincy Jones - Summer In The City

I can forgive him We Are The World, as you can forgive McCartney The Frog Chorus, Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time and Obladi Oblada three songs that will surely await me in hell.

D
I don't have anything per se against pop music. I've got young kids and I'm around it all the time. Even had to buy a Taylor Swift record to make them happy!

It's just that's the context in which I know Jones is as a pop record producer. I know nothing of him as a jazz guy, because, quite honestly, I find the vast majority of jazz boring, even as I fully appreciate the skill it takes to make it. I'm also not a huge Beatles fan either. I was just shocked to see such a dismissal of the band, from a man who has had success, but has had nowhere near the cultural impact the Beatles had. And if "We Are The World" is one of your major contributions to pop culture, one might be more circumspect before trashing others.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 24070
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:12 pm

^^^

well 99% of music talked about on OSG is pop as far as I'm concerned.

Still you've got three of the ingredients for a multi reply thread in music; hate, superannuated golden oldie component and no music...nicely done!

D
Come on Barbie, let's go party!

User avatar
scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by scottT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:38 pm

I suppose one of the benefits of age is that you can tell it like it is and you don't really have to care anymore. Not that criticizing the Beatles is edgy. It will soon be fifty years since they broke up, and two of them are no longer with us. Of course they are now icons so people will continue to hold strong opinions. It is a bit anathema not to like the Beatles.

I give Quincy Jones's opinion a lot of weight beyond the usual statements of an elderly curmudgeon. He more than earned it. He certainly wouldn't be the first to find Ringo's drumming wanting. The crit of McCartney's musicianship is harder to understand (from our perspective). But it's understandable since he came from a world where musicians really had to know their stuff, and he worked with the best. A lot of it could be a generational thing where he just didn't really "get" rock music.

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2871
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by mbene085 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:35 pm

I don't really care what an 85 year old Quincy Jones has to say about the quality of music that was produced a half-century ago. The impact of the Beatles has long since been established. This isn't a hot take or anything. What's the next headline? Buddy Guy slams Elvis Presley's guitar technique?

The most relevant thing in the last 20 years about Quincy Jones is his daughter. She's hilarious.

User avatar
The Dead Ranch Hands
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1304
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:33 am
Location: Dry Gulch

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by The Dead Ranch Hands » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm

He was talking about their musicianship, and he was right. The Beatles weren't known for being amazing instrumentalists. They wrote great hooks, that was their talent.
I want maximum "Thunk" and "Thwack" when I do muting, and fast tremolo picking. I want percussiveness and quick decay. Now if only there was a guitar that offered that Oh wait! The Jag! - blueavenger

User avatar
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8822
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: トイレ国、ウンチ市

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Rashida couldn't possibly be any cuter.
Don't eat food off the floor

User avatar
Telliot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9431
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by Telliot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:17 pm
Rashida couldn't possibly be any cuter.
You and me both, sister. :-*
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6073
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 pm

The Dead Ranch Hands wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm
He was talking about their musicianship, and he was right. The Beatles weren't known for being amazing instrumentalists. They wrote great hooks, that was their talent.
Maybe I'm not qualified to judge, never having had much interest in jazz virtuosi, but I say he's W R O N G. McCartney single-handedly rewrote the book on pop bass playing (while wishing he could play like James Jamerson) and his melodic guitar playing wasn't bad either. Plus, anyone who doesn't appreciate Ringo's unconventional drumming style is the one with the problem, not Ringo.

User avatar
NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:39 am

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by NickD » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:35 am

burpgun wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:55 am
And if "We Are The World" is one of your major contributions to pop culture, one might be more circumspect before trashing others.
Why do his songs have any relevance to his opinions on other people's songs?

I've never written a popular song, but I can still opine on other's songs, and there is nothing to say my opinion isn't relevant (or yours for that matter).

User avatar
Telliot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9431
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by Telliot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:15 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 pm
The Dead Ranch Hands wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm
He was talking about their musicianship, and he was right. The Beatles weren't known for being amazing instrumentalists. They wrote great hooks, that was their talent.
Maybe I'm not qualified to judge, never having had much interest in jazz virtuosi, but I say he's W R O N G. McCartney single-handedly rewrote the book on pop bass playing (while wishing he could play like James Jamerson) and his melodic guitar playing wasn't bad either. Plus, anyone who doesn't appreciate Ringo's unconventional drumming style is the one with the problem, not Ringo.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I’d also like to point out Q’s close relationship with MJ probably informs his opinion of Paul a bit. Macca doesn’t have very nice things to say about MJ after he cozied up to Paul and stole his songbook out from under him.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Post Reply