Ghost Music - fairly traditional sleepy jangly guitar music not bleeping.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Ghost Music - fairly traditional sleepy jangly guitar music not bleeping.

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 am

Unusually I'm not picking a record I like but a record I happened to hear out and about and thought it might appeal to a lot of folk on OSG.

I hear a lot of folk on here saying they like Galaxie 500, Yo La Tengo, Low and some older bands from Australia and New Zealand and I heard this and thought it was worth passing on. I don't dislike it but you know...I've enough to be going on with and I'd probably be more into it if it was actual ghost music.
Southend quartet Ghost Music release their evocative debut album I Was Hoping You’d Pass By Here via Arlen. They create careful, considered songs, weaving lo-fi lullabies with gliding guitars and understated arrangements. Influenced by Silver Jews, Flying Nun and K Records, they explore themes of nature, love, loss and a melancholic English romanticism embellished with beautifully spectral melodies and executed with startling subtlety. Despite this record being their debut, the band has produced a veritable wealth of music over the past 20 years in various guises. Ghost Music revolves around the songwriting partnership of Matt Randall and Lee Hall, who had played together in the 90s with John Peel favourites Beatglider. More recently Randall has received critical acclaim as Plantman, with his three albums Closer to the Snow, Whispering Trees and To The Lighthouse receiving praise from The Guardian, Uncut and Mojo. When Randall and Hall reunited to collaborate on another album together, they brought in the talents of Roy Thirlwall on bass (Melodie Group) and Leighton Jennings on drums (Dark Globes) to complete the band.
Spotify of whole record

and on yootoob outside the UK

D
Are you loathsome tonight?