Current guitarists you like.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Current guitarists you like.

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 am
The player on Tyneham House is Michael Tanner of Plinth.. He's a bit of a genius IMO and I totally recommend his three part guide to droning medieval music on NTS; Cantus Orbis.
I was about 90% sure Tyneham House was another of M. Tanner's projects, but as they make a point of being deliberately obfuscatory about the personnel in the surrounding blurbs I thought I'd play along.

Will check out his radio series at some point. Wasn't all mediaeval music drone-based, though? I remember from Howard Goodall's history of music that Summer Is A'Cummen In caused a sensation by being the first song to feature a mind-blowing two chord harmonisation.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:55 am

Oh! Johnny Marr! He's still out there being brilliant.

Also both Roger Miller (Mission of Burma) & Tom Verlaine, both of whom do live music for silent movies. I saw Roger's Alloy Orchestra with Ziga Vertov's "Man With A Movie Camera" and they were amazing.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Stosh221
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stosh221 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:05 am

Probably pretty out of left field but I stumbled across Chris Vinnicombe's YouTube demos for Guitarist from a few years back, and I totally dig his playing. Don't know much about him save what some cursory internet sleuthing reveals. Recently appointed editor of Guitar and Bass magazine.

I love playing that eschews technical-pizzaz-for-its-own-sake in favor of impeccably tasteful chord progressions and engaging melodic hooks. Definitely what I aspire to in my own guitar work. Too few examples of his demos, but a couple I've bookmarked include:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is9apHPNcUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn8gC1ioVs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl-Y2V5yls0

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:54 am

I think LoneLady (Julie Campbell) is an amazing guitarist. She's totally got it all and is amazingly captivating and stupefunky live (and on record).

She obviously wondrous on her own stuff but check her out in this track by Wrangler ( Stephen Mallinder of Cabaret Voltaire and synth maven Benge) it really is Dirty. Must have been incredible for her getting asked to do it.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:11 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:54 am
I think LoneLady (Julie Campbell) is an amazing guitarist. She's totally got it all and is amazingly captivating and stupefunky live (and on record).

She obviously wondrous on her own stuff but check her out in this track by Wrangler ( Stephen Mallinder of Cabaret Voltaire and synth maven Benge) it really is Dirty. Must have been incredible for her getting asked to do it.

D
Thank you, David!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:28 am

I don't really like guitarists, I know I know, it sounds weird with this being a guitar forum.

But if I have to metion someone, it would be Johnny Marr, and Mike Campbell, with an honourable mention going to Billy Duffy.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 am

I'd definitely echo others in mentioning Neil Young and Johnny Marr. I've been lucky enough to see Neil Young a couple of times but I'm hoping to see Johnny Marr one of these days. I love his playing style, there are a few of his owns songs that I rate but (maybe typically of me looking into the past) I'd also love to hear his renditions of Smiths songs, all of which he does very well, singing & all.

Those obvious two aside though, I'm currently loving Emmett Kelly, ever since I saw him playing guitar for Ty Segall & The Muggers. I didn't realise until I started digging that he's a singer/songwriter in his own right, as well as being an excellent guitarist.
His stuff with The Cairo Gang is great but I've been particularly taken by his cover of Where Are You Tonight (I Wonder) which is just gorgeous! To my ears he sounds like a cross between Nick Drake & Will Oldham (the latter of whom he's performed with).
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:09 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 am
I'd definitely echo others in mentioning Neil Young and Johnny Marr. I've been lucky enough to see Neil Young a couple of times but I'm hoping to see Johnny Marr one of these days. I love his playing style, there are a few of his owns songs that I rate but (maybe typically of me looking into the past) I'd also love to hear his renditions of Smiths songs, all of which he does very well, singing & all.

Those obvious two aside though, I'm currently loving Emmett Kelly, ever since I saw him playing guitar for Ty Segall & The Muggers. I didn't realise until I started digging that he's a singer/songwriter in his own right, as well as being an excellent guitarist.
His stuff with The Cairo Gang is great but I've been particularly taken by his cover of Where Are You Tonight (I Wonder) which is just gorgeous! To my ears he sounds like a cross between Nick Drake & Will Oldham (the latter of whom he's performed with).
Wow. Kelly is a great player! I'm trying to get the finger-style thing and it's not easy. That's a fantastic cover.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:54 pm
Jamie Stewart of Xiu Xiu.

He’s not a virtuso, and a lot of his guitar playing can come off as unremarkable at first glance, but I really like how the guitar parts drive the songs rhythmically instead of making synth pop songs ‘rock’ with misguided guitar solos.

https://youtu.be/nZe1-ftkT0Y
Seconded.

Not too much else to add that hasn’t been covered. I’ll still throw out Alan Sparhawk, Marc Kozelek and Neil and Christian from Slowdive.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 am

fortytwo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:28 am
I don't really like guitarists, I know I know, it sounds weird with this being a guitar forum.
Me neither, I just like music but I thought I'd start a thread in music that might get more than one reply and I was interested to hear about new players (more new records really) that I might somehow have missed. Thread hasn't really went that way with most players being older than me* and looking more like a favourite guitarists thread but I probably framed the original post poorly.

D

*no age restrictions intended but not really how I imagined it.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:35 am

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 am
fortytwo wrote:
Me neither, I just like music but I thought I'd start a thread in music that might get more than one reply and I was interested to hear about new players (more new records really) that I might somehow have missed. Thread hasn't really went that way with most players being older than me* and looking more like a favourite guitarists thread but I probably framed the original post poorly.

D

From my experience lately a lot people in their 20's and younger don't seem as passionate about music. I'm not sure if that's because of how available everything is. In my late 20's I was pretty heavy into drum n' bass and completely abandoned guitar music. Everything is really accessible now but also really spread out. I keep thinking (knowing, really) that there are interesting subcultures of cool music happening now that I'm totally unaware of and it bothers me. I hunt around for things but haven't heard anything that sounds radically new or truly exciting as things I was into when I was younger.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:25 am

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 am
fortytwo wrote:

D

For my part I do feel a little stuck in discovering new music, it's like I've heard most of it before, and the newer stuff go straight over my head.
One newer band I've been listening to a little is Dawes, after I saw a rig rundown with them.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 am

As a borderline prepubescent boy manchild in his early 20s, I don't really listen to guitar based music lately either. My favorite records of the last two years or so were mostly hip hop and 'art pop' records (the latest Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, FKA Twigs, Forest Swords and Xiu Xiu albums have been amazing) but there doesn't seem to be much interest in those genres here (obviously, it's a fucking guitar forum after all).

As much as I like Sonic Youth and their ilk, endlessly jerking off over their music gets boring quick. I dig some newer guitar bands like Warpaint, Alvvays, Iceage and Girl Band, but they aren't really pushing envelope. They sound more like refinements of what's already been done, which is fine and a perfectly valid approach, but I wouldn't say their my favorite guitarists.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I've been really digging this compilation album called Silva by a record label named Misamah Recordings. Not a single guitar in sight. https://miasmah.bandcamp.com/album/silva
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:53 am

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 am
Forest Swords.

I think his playing is great. There's not so much on the new stuff but some of his playing back on the Old English Spelling Bee/No Pain in Pop stuff.

The playing on the likes of Miaches, Visits , Rattling Cage and The Weight of Gold is magic. It's like how I'd imagine a praying mantis would play.

That exotic twang hovering in the spaces really does it for me.

The two guys in Heroin in Tahiti are similar in some ways in that they are post surf post soundtrack sturmers and their records especially the total masterpiece of Sun and Violence are like Morricone summoning Coil from the spirit world. The earlier album Death surf is much more of a 'guitar' record but Sun and Violence is where the magic happens IMO.

I'm also reminded how much I like the playing of Brian Pyle of Ensemble Economique. His guitar tone is probably direct from Joe Bonamassa's night terrors, where he's just about to blooze it and discovers he's plugged into a Gorilla. It's thin, spectral and his lead tone often sounds like it's being delivered through an intercom in a Soviet nuclear bunker, you'd probably get no respect for it on TGP or down the Megachurch but it's PERFECT in situ.

Ensemble Economique - Your Lips Against Mine

Ensemble Economique - Make-Out In The GDR

Ensemble Economique - Radiate Through ME

I also love Taylor Burch of Tropic of Cancer and DVA Damas. She's deep in rockabilly on the DVA Damas stuff especially earlier on but on the later more techno stuff her tele still shines minimal but bright. She plays so little but always seems to play the right thing.

There's been enough Tropic of Cancer chat on here that I'd guess that if they are for you you've already found them but here's a live session.

Arguably the top table of of contemporary post punk

Tropic Of Cancer - Court of Devotion (at Room 205)

Tropic Of Cancer - The One Left (at Room 205)

Tropic Of Cancer - A Color (at Room 205) just bass on this.

Man this is GOOD;Tropic of Cancer - More Alone (Live at MFNW)

Btw there's interest in non guitar music on OSG, it's pretty hard getting a thread going but feel free to chip in.

D

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 am

I really like Ryan Jarman from the cribs... he does such a great job in keeping simple songs interesting and busy just by adding also simple phrases here and there. He's always doing something to complement the root notes from the bass.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)