let's talk Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft/ D.A.F

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

let's talk Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft/ D.A.F

Post by shadowplay » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:27 am

Or probably not...

So I bought the DAS IST DAF boxset (Die Kleinen Und Die Bösen, Alles ist Gut, Gold Und Liebe, Für Immer a seven and an album of remixes) earlier this year and never actually played it because I already have the records from new but I bought my mate it for his Christmas/his 50th and he put it on while he was staying and while I do listen to DAF a fair bit, something in me just flipped back to when I first heard them and it was like hearing it anew.

Back then they blew my mind, not only were they singing in German but their music was feral and fun and maginificently anti rock. I remember reading interviews where they portrayed themselves as on the front line against American musical imperialism and while I'm sure this was tongue in cheek*, it really resonated with me.

I'm going to pick out a few songs from each record but you'll have to bear with me because most examples are locked out in the UK and I'll leave Die Kleinen Und Die Bösen till last since it stands slightly to one side from the three Virgin records.

For me they still sound thrillingly individual and posses a unique spirit and minimal focus.

Alles ist Gut (which is a Korg MS20 meisterwerk)

Der Mussolini probably the DAF song most folk have heard. Like a dadaist take on a 60's dance craze track...utter genius and a stone cold dancefloor killer.

Ich und die Wirklichkeit

Sato Sato

Gold Und Liebe (most of this record is blocked to me to link to)

El Que - has an amazing video :w00t: that's sadly terrible quality and also cropped by a minute. Btw the video for Brothers from way later on is incredibly questionable sartorially but still makes me smile

Absolute Körperkontrolle sadly no linkable youtube in the uk

Greif Nach Den Sternen (again only outside uk)

Für Immer

Kebab Träume

Prinzessin

Geheimnis

Die Kleinen Und Die Bösen

Coco Pino

Osten Währt Am Längsten

so likes, dislikes, favourites and reminiscences welcome.

D

*because if anything they sound like Bauhaus school future rockabilly
Are you loathsome tonight?

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: let's talk Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft/ D.A.F

Post by BlixaFan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:57 am

i definitely had a DAF phase (during my almost decade long Einstürzende Neubauten phase), and i love their attitude. that's what always got me about them. they just had so much attitude. might just pick up the CD boxset actually.... (i'm a fan of boxsets :D the french have boxsets nailed down)

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:11 pm

They're one of the focal bands in the excellent Verschende deine Jugend oral history. (And came across as a bit overbearing to put it mildly / living in squalor as a somewhat messianic test of will), but an excellent band. I think they were the first to use tons of tapes when playing live (pre-midi era).

One note (which I learned the hard way, with cool Germans laughing at me a bit): DAF is pronounced as a single word, not the initials (unlike DOA, for example).

Kebabträume....

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm liking what I'm hearing... new to me, thanks!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 am

cestlamort wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:11 pm
They're one of the focal bands in the excellent Verschende deine Jugend oral history. (And came across as a bit overbearing to put it mildly / living in squalor as a somewhat messianic test of will), but an excellent band. I think they were the first to use tons of tapes when playing live (pre-midi era).

One note (which I learned the hard way, with cool Germans laughing at me a bit): DAF is pronounced as a single word, not the initials (unlike DOA, for example).

Kebabträume....
Yes I pronounce it DAF like the car manufacturer. I saw them live a few times during the golden period, I never thought about them using tapes at the time but it makes sense when you say it.

I can't speak much German or understand a lot of the lyrics but that was always part of the appeal for a a wee boy from Scotland. I've literally thousands of German records that I can only sign along to phonetically. :D

One thing about DAF is their individual sense of rhythm and playfulness, they never do the lockstepped Teutonic cliche (which I also love), it's always delightfully off.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:59 pm
I'm liking what I'm hearing... new to me, thanks!
thats great to hear.

D

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:57 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 am

I can't speak much German or understand a lot of the lyrics but that was always part of the appeal for a a wee boy from Scotland. I've literally thousands of German records that I can only sign along to phonetically. :D

One thing about DAF is their individual sense of rhythm and playfulness, they never do the lockstepped Teutonic cliche (which I also love), it's always delightfully off.

D
I see potential for a great comedy here: David is off shopping for some obscure collectors car in backwoods eastern Germany, rural Austria or the like, gets separated from his guide and he can only communicate with the (initially hostile) locals via song lyrics. Working title: Tanz der Maserati.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 am

cestlamort wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:57 am
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 am

D
I see potential for a great comedy here: David is off shopping for some obscure collectors car in backwoods eastern Germany, rural Austria or the like, gets separated from his guide and he can only communicate with the (initially hostile) locals via song lyrics. Working title: Tanz der Maserati.
:D That is funny!

D

Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Straight6DOHC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:26 am

Oh yes! This is great stuff. Thanks for posting. Box set bought. Looking forward to listening to it.

surfin_bird
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfin_bird » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 am

Love it. Totally forget about it, so thanks for reminding me. My spotify is playing DAF loud.
I do want a Korg MS-20 again. :fp: