Hugo Largo

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hugo Largo

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:24 am

The REM thread had me thinking of Hugo Largo because they were kinda sponsored by Michael Stipe.

I personally think both their albums are supernaturally brilliant as they were when I first bought them going on thirty years ago.

They were quite unique at the time for having two basses, a viola player, a SOARING and yet ultra dynamic singer in Mimi Goese and...no drums at all. I remember seeing them live and not being able to decide if her performance art shenanigans were getting in the way of the music or adding to it. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt.

For me the records were just a blast of cooling menthol, all deep blue spaces and star spangle.

I noticed I'm not the only one remembering them, I just noticed this article from Louder Than War when I was forlornly looking for listening links to post; an appreciation of Hugo Largo ‘the great lost band of post punk…’

The first record was Drum, that was the one produced by Stipe and you can hear him croaking away on occasion.

I am totally defeated in finding a Bandcamp or even Spotify and I'm often going to be reduced to posting live versions but I'm going to post what I can. It's amazing really this band isn't obscure AT ALL and yet there's nothing out there and it's slim pickings with the first album in particular. I'm not cherry picking tracks, this is literally all there is.

Drum

Hugo Largo - Fancy

Hugo Largo - Scream Tall (live)

Hugo Largo - Country

Mettle - probably my favourite between the two. When it came out I got given a quite unique 12' promo called; Brian Eno Wants You To Hear Something - A Band Called Hugo Largo And A New Album Called 'Mettle', which pretty much did what it said on the tin. I can't think of anything similar.

Hugo Largo - Turtle Song and a live version from UK TV

Hugo Largo - Jungle Jim

Hugo Largo - Hot Day

Hugo Largo - Halfway Knowing :-* in particular

Hugo Largo - Never Mind

Hugo Largo - Martha

So any old fans, new fans or folk wondering what the hell I see in them?

D

P.S. Mimi had a solo record called 'Soak' out on David Byrnes record label. it was an patchy effort, with some odd genre clashing like rocking all over drum and bass riddums. Not quite Hugo Largo quality but decent enough and produced by Hector Zazou who I have a lot of time for.

my favourite song on it is Love Is An Island which is gorgeous but rockers might be interested in her cover of Black Hole Sun.
Are you loathsome tonight?

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hugo Largo

Post by elektrovac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 am

I had the Hugo Largo experience at the Roskilde Festival in 1988 and loved it so much that I went out and bought the two albums immediately. The gig was really wonderful. I remember Mimi wearing a very larger number of dresses in layers and removing one for each song - or something along those lines.

It's not long ago I got to think about them, but then I couldn't find my vinyl albums (probably sold off at some weak moment, short of cash years ago). And then being very disappointed not finding them at Spotify ...

:-*

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 am

elektrovac wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 am
I had the Hugo Largo experience at the Roskilde Festival in 1988 and loved it so much that I went out and bought the two albums immediately. The gig was really wonderful. I remember Mimi wearing a very larger number of dresses in layers and removing one for each song - or something along those lines.
:-*
Yes loads of thin jersey dresses, she took off and I think put back on and some music and movement with a cooks knife. I had a friend who was at a Steiner School and he said she reminded him of the Eurythmy classes they got.

Sorry to hear you sold the records, though looking at discogs it looks like you can get than for less than the cost of a new seven inch in near mint condition.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danbind » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:16 pm

I remember them--yes, very original. I have Drum and one other, I'll dig them out when I get home this evening. I believe I also have a flexi single from The Bob (if you remember that old music mag), which IIRC is the Fancy cover.
remember / to kick it over

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 am

elektrovac wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 am
I remember Mimi wearing a very larger number of dresses in layers and removing one for each song - or something along those lines.
Stipe did that once when I saw REM play, it would've been around 1988/89 as well oddly enough.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 am

Loved them back in the day.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:39 am

A totally unique band that I forgot all about. Thanks!!!