What are your favorite albums NOT from your youth?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What are your favorite albums NOT from your youth?

Post by fortytwo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Grandmasterdavid wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:04 am
Broken Bells - After The Disco
Oh yeah.. Definitely that one.

Phoenix - It's Never Been Like That
NIN - With Teeth
Nada Surf - Lucky, The Stars Are Indifferent To Astronomy & You Know Who You Are
DCFC - Plans, Narrow Stairs & Codes & Keys
Kacey Mugraves - Same Trailers Different Park & Pageant Material
Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites
Minor Alps - Get There
The Shins - From Chutes Too Narrow, Wincing The Night Away, Port Of Morrow & Heartworms

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:49 pm

There's a lot of the stuff I listened to as a kid that I still like although maybe don't listen to as much now. I guess new music will always be at a disadvantage compared to the songs that have been with you all your life. Anyway there are some recent albums that have had strong emotional significance for me:

Alvvays - s/t
Underground Lovers - Staring at you staring at me
Vincey - Everything was singing
OYR - A rose made of galaxies
Glasser - Interiors
Culkin - Several Sundays
Carla Dal Forno - You know what it's like
Screamfeeder - Pop guilt
Pia Fraus - Field ceremony
Sounds Like Sunset - We could leave tonight
Fennesz - Becs
Drones - I see seaweed
Jane Weaver - Silver globe, Kosmology
David Kilgour - A feather in the engine
Loscil - Sea island, Plume, Submers
Tim Hecker - Virgins, Ravedeath 1972

:-[
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Here are a few of mine in no particular order:

The Doves-Lost Souls.
The Lees of Memory-Sisyphus Says.
Boards of Canada-Geogaddi.
Jefre Cantu-Ledesma-Shining Skull Breath.
Nice Hooves-The Gall.
Snowman-The Horse, The Rat, & The Swan.
Kendrick Lamar-Damn.
David Bowie-Blackstar.

I could keep going but my list would end up being 100 deep before I know it. I just love music.
We are merely moving shadows.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 pm

None of the new music I like is "new" but it's not from my youth.
coheed & cambria (new album is best since silent earth)
Silvers pickups-neck of the woods
Bloc party-hyms
And while technically an EP "no one's first and you're next" from modest mouse has a great sound. I love a lot of the tracks on this one.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:59 pm

I turned the corner from teenage stuff to serious shit when I was about 20, thanks to some kind and conscientious mentors. From that first revelation came killer stuff like:
Albert Ayler - Love Cry
John Coltrane - Sun Ship
Abbey Lincoln - Straight Ahead
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Eric Dolphy - Iron Man
Miles Davis - Live Evil

My head still spins when I listen to that stuff 25 years later. But I feel like I was still a kid when I heard it. In my mid-twenties and into my early thirties, I finally listened to bands that I should have listened to when I was a teenager:
Stooges - Raw Power
Wire - Pink Flag
Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk
Gang of Four - Entertainment
The Sonics - Here Are The Sonics
The Shangri-Las - Golden Hits of the Shangri-Las
Etc etc etc

These are all among my large pile of favorites.

Looking back now, my high school years were an astonishing mix of some of the best record ever and some of the worst records ever. I shan’t list the latter here out of profound embarrassment.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Some of the favourite albums, from a long list, are

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
We are the Sea - Departure Songs
Cadillac Hitmen - TriState Killing Spree
Slacktone - Into the Blue Sparkle
Penetrators - Locked and Loaded
Wes Montgomery - Grooveyard

The internet is a wonderful thing but it also means that we have access to just about all the music ever recorded. There is so much good stuff out there that it is difficult to connect with an album by just playing it over and over as you did in your youth.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 am

Here's another artist that got my attention after I was living a bit more of a grown up life. Still came out 13 years ago though. Saw them live on this tour and they were incredible. One of my favorite fall/winter albums of all time.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:38 am

Hmm I'm going to pick something new or at least newer than most records in this thread since it came out in September 2017. I'm choosing this because I really love it but mainly because I'm picking one and wanted to pick a guitar record.

I was going to do a thread on this record but I've dropped any notion of such things due to lack of interest.

Carmen Villain - Infinite Avenue I was really not at all fussed about her debut album but I adore this record and think it's the sort of thing 4AD might be putting out now if they hadn't gone all teeshirted indie rawk in the late 80's. On a more contemporary bent if I didn't know better I'd have thought Jonny Nash was contributing guitar to Red Desert.

It's important to look at this album as an ecosystem IMO and take in the 12's released either side of it and soak up the rather wonderful remixes from proper heavy hitters like Biosphere, Klara Lewis and Gigi Masin.

Carmen Villain - Borders​/​Red Desert remixes by Klara Lewis, who is incidentally the daughter of Graham Lewis from Wire and one of very few non dreadful children of pop artists and the great Geir Jenssen who records as Biosphere (and who everyone should really know). Btw anyone like Geir's old band Bel Canto?

Carmen Villain -Planetarium Gigi Masin Remixes

It doesn't sound like either of them really but it sits nice in an extended listening session with Penelope Trappes (another alternate future for 4AD) and Carla Dal Forno.
took the liberty of adding a link.

Yeah an important artist and F ingers and Tarcar her other projects are just as good and yet she works in a record shop, which just goes to show how hard it is to make a living doing your own music.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:36 am

I am enjoying these replies. We all have our different musical paths, but I tend to have a bit more respect for the people that have evolving tastes.

Some of my friends on Facebook (I posed this same question to them) just seem to like new bands playing the same style of music that they liked 20+ years ago [not much innovation going on in the world of garage punk, which generally eschews that sort of thing.]

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:52 am

Not sure what deems youth versus whatever I am now (lord, I'm not old am I?). These are all within the last 5 years for me.

Broadcast - both Haha Sound and Tender Buttons
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum
Black Marble - It's Immaterial
Bosnian Rainbows - Bosnian Rainbows
Flaamingos - Flaamingos
New Order - Low Life
Suuns - all albums, seriously

Lots of bands that start with a B.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:05 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Jane Weaver - Silver globe, Kosmology
Btw you heard the Jane Weaver/Virginia Wing* (whose last elpee I loved) cover collab? Whole clips seem to have been embargoed until last week. I've had the vinyl (it's a split with Death and Vanilla and Noveller) for a while but it required a blind buy and I guess some folk would want hear it first.

Jane Weaver And Virginia Wing - I Feel It Starts Again

and the OG for comparison; Suzanne Menzel - I Feel It Starts Again

D

*they have anew record out friday in collaboration with XAM Duo who are Hookworms affiliated and I can't wait until it arrives.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:20 am

Thank you David, for always finding fresh fruit for my ears, heart and mind.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:20 am
+1, you put it put better than I could ..

No I didn't know about the Weaver collab, thank you David!

Also thanks again for the Dal Forno intro a while back; the more I listen, the more her music seems like some kind of zen koan .. looked at one way it seems like there's nothing there and yet it's so brilliant.

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:05 am
*they have anew record out friday in collaboration with XAM Duo who are Hookworms affiliated and I can't wait until it arrives.
They had me at ".. A weekend escape in the frozen industrial district of Bradford", that's brilliant :D
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:51 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 am
jakeisjake wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 am

Matthew Sweet, Girlfriend
World Party
Soul Coughing
My three favorite acts of the 90's right there.
I'm surprised to see Soul Coughing being discussed on here. I bought El Oso when I was probably 10 then never listened to it in the past 10 years. I might have to give it a relisten.

Most of my favorite albums were albums I did not listed to in my youth, but discovered later. I think We ever Blue Album and Pinkerton are the only two albums from my youth that I still consider favorites.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:12 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:09 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:20 am
+1, you put it put better than I could ..

No I didn't know about the Weaver collab, thank you David!

Also thanks again for the Dal Forno intro a while back; the more I listen, the more her music seems like some kind of zen koan .. looked at one way it seems like there's nothing there and yet it's so brilliant.
Thanks Maggie and Jon, that's nice to hear on this cold and frosty morning. Music and by extension record buying has always been a social enterprise for me, it's all bit pointless if you aren't sharing and talking about it. It wasn't just last night that a DJ saved my life, it happens most days.
mezcalhead wrote:

You know that's often the sign to me that something is great, you can have all the technical ability and theoretical knowledge in the world but you could still absolutely lack any ideas. It's not unlike the fact that draftsmanship isn't art. I think music is art and mercurial and the muse is as likely to visit someone who hasn't even got through 'Play in a Day' as a virtuoso, possibly even moreso since there's more mitten wearing players than six fingered flying foxes.

You know the old joke 'how do know if someone's on the paleo diet?' 'Don't worry, they'll tell you.' Well I often get that feeling with folk with a lot of technical skill, they are seldom happy making the odd plink to suit the tune.
mezcalhead wrote:

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:05 am
They had me at ".. A weekend escape in the frozen industrial district of Bradford", that's brilliant :D
Jon; I'm really up for the Virginia Wing/XAM Duo record, just landed this morning and really liking it. I rate Virginia Wing highly due to their recent trajectory, it would have been easy for them to play up their old similarities to Broadcast now that's a sellable trait but they've gone all wonky dayglo fourthworld pop and it suits them. Virginia Wing - Sonia & Claudette is one of my songs of the year, short, sweet, beautiful...

Oh and Btw I noticed you mentioned Glasser, if you don't already know her may I point you towards the well stocked isle marked ;Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith.

Oh and apologies if I'm derailing this thread. :unsure:

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.