Liam Gallagher "As you were"

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Liam Gallagher "As you were"

Post by leokula » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:29 am

fair enough dude
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:11 am

leokula wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:23 am
I can't fathom the idea that to this day people still hate Oasis based on all the hype and bad media they got on the 90's.
I missed most of the Oasis hype in the 90s 'cos when they hit big I was travelling and/or mostly listening to electronica. I hate them now because their music is terrible.

OK, to be fair I probably hate them because their music is terrible AND I get it constantly shoved down my neck .. I'm sure there are thousands of terrible bands I don't care about one way or the other because I don't have to have anything to do with them.

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:02 am
the ghost of Jhonn Balance appearing at the bottom of my bed singing a Foo Fighers medley, while harmonising with a Nico formed from ectoplasm would change that.
You need to lay off the cheese before bedtime .. :D
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 pm

i've made my thoughts on oasis clear many times. i consider them to be the worst thing to happen to "guitar music" ever. shallow lyrics for neds to sing along to at open mic nights. i find oasis to be most the things i hate in music distilled into 200% proof bullshit.
laddish swagger: check
obvious classic worship: check
retro production: check
shallow fans who think their deep: big check
annoyingly overplayed ballad: well the only check that could be bigger is the one i'd get for every time i heard the fucking song in some dimension where i would get money for putting up with that song..... sadly we dont live in that world...... yet.
controversy/behind the scenes drama: check
annoying off stage personas: check
constant worship by journalists and media: yup.

as a person, liam gallagher could be the nicest guy in the universe...... but the issue is i dont know him as a person. i know him by his work which i find irritating at best and horrible at worst. some things sound better after a while. some things sound worse. this is a case where it sounds worse.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:09 am

leokula wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:23 am
... As much as anybody can hate Oasis, they are respected by all sorts of artists and producers who really knows them.

I can't fathom the idea that to this day people still hate Oasis based on all the hype and bad media they got on the 90's. It's so obviously a circus made by the media, it's hard to believe anyone buys this sort of shit lol
The bad media was and is based on what they were actually like. And they were really like that. I haven't seen anything that would change my opinion that they are both a pair of knobs. They are 'respected' by people who make them money. But honestly why should the fact that I, or other commenters don't like a pair of egotistical arseholes (who don't even like each other FWIW!) matter to you. If you think they are great, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I hate Oasis because the music is shite BTW, the personalities involved are secondary to that, and I haven't liked anything either have done since. I'll admit Noel can write a commercially successful & catchy tune, but that isn't where my tastes necessarily lie.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:30 am

I always found it strange that Oasis was signed by Creation. The Foo Fighters comparison is apt, even if Oasis is still a million times better.

I think Noel is OK though. He gives the best interviews. He has a new song out too.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:53 am

I dare say there are a large handful of their songs that, if played by other bands, wouldn't get anyway near the same kind of hatred & derision that Oasis get.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a super-fan or anything. I think their first 2 albums are good & there are a few tracks after that that I'll also rate. That's where it ends. I totally get the hatred of Liam & Noel. I know how irritating they are but happen to love their sense of humour & banter that flies out of their mouths.
I can also fully understand the hatred of their fans, the lager-lager-Citeh types anyway. Their other fans are no different to any other folk on the street.

Still, in my humblest of humble opinion I think they wrote some great tracks. Very catchy, unpretentious rock'n'roll.
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 pm
....i consider them to be the worst thing to happen to "guitar music" ever....
Hmmm, for my heavy metal (almost in it's entirety) takes that title. Easily.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:53 am

Their other fans are no different to any other folk on the street.

That's not saying much...thinking of the old Sid Vicious 'I’ve met the man in the street' quote. :D
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Very catchy, unpretentious rock'n'roll.
Ah that's the problem right there. :whistle:

It's funny I've long term heebie jeebies for band folk who use the term rock n roll past the black and white olde dayes of yore, it's usually a prompt to cross to the other side of the road safe or not. Liam Gallagher uses it more than any ape on earth.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:54 am

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:

Their other fans are no different to any other folk on the street.

That's not saying much...thinking of the old Sid Vicious 'I’ve met the man in the street' quote. :D
OK, nowadays there is a cunt on every corner but I'll give the rest of music-loving humanity the benefit of the doubt (and only because I got away from England for fairly long periods of time!)
shadowplay wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Very catchy, unpretentious rock'n'roll.
Ah that's the problem right there. :whistle:

It's funny I've long term heebie jeebies for band folk who use the term rock n roll past the black and white olde dayes of yore, it's usually a prompt to cross to the other side of the road safe or not. Liam Gallagher uses it more than any ape on earth.

D
I guess you could say it's either evolved or devolved. I'd argue the former & I'm guessing you'd be in the opposite camp. Nay bother :) It's all subjective.

Your description of rock & roll during the black and white olde dayes of yore reminds me of a great documentary on Neil Young. At one time, back in the early 80s (I think) his record company were getting fed up with him producing "non-commercial" albums. I think he'd just released Trans which was a synth-heavy album that fans hated.
Anyway, some bloke at the label obviously ruffled Mr Young's feathers, suggesting he produce a rock'n'roll album. Neil Young did just that, very much the kind you allude to in your above reply, and released an album full of rockabilly tracks, much to the annoyance of his label. I think they actually sued him over it.

In the documentary he says something like "Be careful what you say because you might just get what you ask for".

EDIT - this is the quote....

"...I think they wanted me to make a hard rock record but they didn’t ask for that, and if you’re gonna tell me to do something & yell at me & sue me, then you’d better tell me to do exactly what you want or you might get exactly what you ask for".

;D
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:28 pm

I wonder how much of the criticism comes from their political leanings--or some non-PC utterances? I confess, I don't know other than some things I heard Noel Gallagher say recently which could account for some heebie jeebies depending on one's own political bent.

I thought they were fine, but then I didn't have them shoved down my throat as it were. They were quite easy to avoid here in the states. I can understand how they could be pretty annoying with all the drama and over exposure. It did kind of surprise me when back in the '90s I was making small talk with a British girl and I asked her about Oasis and she told me flatly that she didn't like them. They were so big then.

The first time I saw them was on American television where they appeared with the Sugar Cubes (who I instantly liked) and the Godfathers. Oasis did Supersonic which I thought was great, but not enough to seek it out at the record store.

I do kind of like that style of clothing. It would work well on the gray and rainy Oregon coast.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:38 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:54 am
Your description of rock & roll during the black and white olde dayes of yore reminds me of a great documentary on Neil Young. At one time, back in the early 80s (I think) his record company were getting fed up with him producing "non-commercial" albums. I think he'd just released Trans which was a synth-heavy album that fans hated.
I remember he also said something like, "being told I wasn't commercial after 30 years of making records was better than a Grammy". ;D

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:57 am

New single "Wall of Glass"?

Wall of Ass, more like. I don't dislike Noel and Liam, I think they're good value and quite honest, even if it makes them look a bit brash at times. Liam certainly has a misguided taste in music and his quality control has suffered hugely due to his enormous sense of self-belief.

I liked Oasis at the time. Their music has not aged particularly well as my then 10-year-old taste has matured quite considerably.

Looking back, the Strokes bringing proper rhythms back to guitar music in 2001 after nearly 10 years of dull strumming along with open chords while an orchestra section plays some melodies was quite a revolution, in my world at least.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:22 am

scottT wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:28 pm
I wonder how much of the criticism comes from their political leanings--or some non-PC utterances? I confess, I don't know other than some things I heard Noel Gallagher say recently which could account for some heebie jeebies depending on one's own political bent.
Nah, that's just a reason to pat yourself on the back for merely hating the noise they make, I also disliked the Stone Roses intensely for many of the same reasons. If we rope them both in together, it's hard to think of many bands with more cringey and sycophantic fans.

I see snippets from them bragging about how they don't read books or hate anything impressionistic and it doesn't exactly make me want to move closer.

I think you can learn a lot from this interview; Amorphous Androgynous on Noel Gallagher: ‘He was too afraid to be weird’. Firstly I am a bit of a fan of FSOL and Blackhill Transmitter in particular and secondly they remixed Oasis to near acceptable to me in a feat that would have impressed Nicolas Flamel (naturally pushing Noel's singing to the side of the plate). When he starts really doing that honking Oasis thing in the fives I was close to reaching for the tone arm but once you get over that hump it gets better, but in all essence I'd just skip the a side and play the B side (parts3/4/5), if they'd just used the female psyche singer that takes over up in the teens (Alisha Sufit) it would have been pretty handy; Oasis - Falling Down (A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Mix). I actually own this record, admittedly I bought it secondhand for a farthing and mainly due to the Julian House sleeve but I did give it a go. I'm not so closed minded that I'd not admit something was good purely based on hating the band. Mrs S doesn't hate them in quite the same way as I do and she actually quite enjoys it, though she agrees that it would be better Noel free. :unsure:

I'd also say that Mezcalhead hit's the nail on the head when he talks about them being rammed down your throat, there's very few bands I'd 100% get up and leave due to no matter the fallout but Oasis is one of them. I was working for a bunch of Heritage obsessed arseholes at a big brand and I plum told them that the next time they put Oasis or any other Britpop shite on the stereo within earshot of me I'd be off and take my drawings with me.

As for someone earlier saying they are nice blokes, well Liam has a 20 year old daughter he's never even met and I at least give Noel the credit for having regular contact with her.
simonhpieman wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:57 am
New single "Wall of Glass"?

Wall of Ass, more like.
It was unsurpring to me to see this illustrated on youtube with Liam actually looking at a Wall of Glass, it's as literal as his compulsion to remind listeners that they are listening to a song by adding song to the lyrics.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:47 am

It was unsurpring to me to see this illustrated on youtube with Liam actually looking at a Wall of Glass, it's as literal as his compulsion to remind listeners that they are listening to a song by adding song to the lyrics.
THIS is hilarious! :w00t:

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:51 am

There is a lot of baggage that comes with Britpop, and especially Oasis, all the lads, lads, lads, lads, drink shite lager and puke all over the street culture that we sometimes do so well, but the music was always whiney bollocks and Liam is a grade A cunt. As said above, at least Noel makes an effort, the FSOL connection and Chemical Brothers track he did at least show an attempt to widen his horizons, but it still sounded like whiney Oasis vocals.

Oasis and Britpop ruined guitar music for me for nearly a decade, it was 1210s and repetitive beats for years.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:17 am

Total dad rock.