Liam Gallagher "As you were"

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Liam Gallagher "As you were"

Post by Arthon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:21 am

This osg wal is...

MY WONDERWAAAAAALLLLL!!!!
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:56 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:22 am
I think you can learn a lot from this interview; Amorphous Androgynous on Noel Gallagher: ‘He was too afraid to be weird’.
hmm...this sounds more like someone whining after being dumped tbh. Though it would have been interesting to hear this collaboration.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:32 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:56 pm
shadowplay wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:22 am
I think you can learn a lot from this interview; Amorphous Androgynous on Noel Gallagher: ‘He was too afraid to be weird’.
hmm...this sounds more like someone whining after being dumped tbh. Though it would have been interesting to hear this collaboration.
I read it more like someone frustrated that someone they respect isn't fulfilling their potential, not unlike the way some football managers get frustrated with players with flair not taking a man on.

Btw if anyone hasn't bought or listened to them I TOTALLY recommend Amorphous Androgynous/FSOL A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind' series of mixes. Anyone hearing these and not finding stuff they didn't know is either a psychedelic acid monarch or lying (i bought Heaven & Earth ‎a few songs into the first one).

I reckon I know my shit, though this is far from my areas of expertise and a couple of good friends have world class collections down this rabbithole but I found this both incredibly enjoyable and educational. Probably only Richard Norris of The Time and Space Machine could stand toe to toe with this.

I imagine the likes of Porkyprimecut and Ulrich will twist their kaleidoscopes in pleasure if they haven't already checked these out.

VA - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol. 1 - Cosmic Space Music by The Amorphous Androgynous (CD1)

VA - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol. 1 - Cosmic Space Music by The Amorphous Androgynous (CD2)

TRACKLIST

A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind - Vol.2: 'Pagan Love Vibrations'

TRACKLIST

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:01 am

Arthon wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:58 am
I always find the Oasis rant very funny
It is isn't it lol
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:26 am

Interesting thread.

On the North American side of the pond we got to view them without the social lense. I had no idea about football/lad/ned culture in the UK at the time. To me, they were a so-so band that had a few catchy songs (albiet with terrible lyrics) that loved the Beatles and seemed to be copping the Jesus and Mary Chain's attitude shtick.

Until Wonderwall hit - then my hatred for them multiplied.

I can't really see the parallels to the Foo Fighters to be honest. They kind of just evolved from a small club band into the ultimate dad-rock stadium band. I'm not a fan, but I have a lot of respect for Grohl as a person. Same can't be said about the Gallagher brothers.

Oh, I can't imagine anything worse than a Liam solo album. Oasis without "the talented brother"....yikes....

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:50 am

thedude99 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:26 am

I can't really see the parallels to the Foo Fighters to be honest. They kind of just evolved from a small club band into the ultimate dad-rock stadium band. I'm not a fan, but I have a lot of respect for Grohl as a person.
I can't see it either, I'm not a Foo Fighters fan - I've listened to a bit of their stuff but it's never grabbed me - but Dave Grohl seems to be a decent guy from what I've seen of him.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:08 am

^^^

It's not a sounding like thing, it's a making music aimed at a sort of born middle aged set, who were no doubt dressed in a Disko Sucks babygrow by Mummy & Daddy Classic rawk. They both sound exactly like you'd expect if you were looking to hit big in the conservative guitar music whistling along to the radio demographic in our respective countries. It's the musical equivalent of a burger or fish and chips, or pickup and Ford Fiesta. Cosy, familiar, conservative...dreary and yet everywhere.

D

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:53 am

I always found Oasis to be pretty boring for the most part. Like someone mentioned, over here there was no real cultural message, they were just another fairly plodding rock and roll band with big guitars and an arena ready sound. Maybe a little more English than some, sharper dressed and kind of assholes who thought they were better than they were, but otherwise not all that distinguishable from Peal Jam and Stone Temple Pilots and shit.

That's not to say that there weren't some good songs in there, "Morning Glory" is good and when I first heard it I thought Oasis might be interesting, and quickly found out that they weren't "Champage Supernova" is the fucking pits. "Wonderwall" is nice but wore out its welcome fast.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:34 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:08 am
^^^

It's not a sounding like thing, it's a making music aimed at a sort of born middle aged set, who were no doubt dressed in a Disko Sucks babygrow by Mummy & Daddy Classic rawk. They both sound exactly like you'd expect if you were looking to hit big in the conservative guitar music whistling along to the radio demographic in our respective countries. It's the musical equivalent of a burger or fish and chips, or pickup and Ford Fiesta. Cosy, familiar, conservative...dreary and yet everywhere.

D
That is very well where the Foo’s are now, but certainly not where they started. They started touring around in a van playing small clubs in the indie circuit. Certainly people were showing up to see the Nirvana guy, but the transition to Stadium Dad-rock happened later.

If anything, Grohl tried to avoid all of that and get back to his roots in the early Foo years.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:53 am

thedude99 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:26 am
Oh, I can't imagine anything worse than a Liam solo album. Oasis without "the talented brother"....yikes....
Well.. A Bonehead solo album maybe...
The Blues Cartographer

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:48 am

But seriously,

Oasis are the greatest Rock N Roll band that humanity have ever produce, and will never be surpasse. The take the better parts of The Beatles, Sex Pistols and the Stone Roses, but without their weekness.

Noel Gallagher is the greatest songwriter ever and the most intelligent men in the world, even if he dont like Jazz.
Liam Gallagher is the greatest singer/frontman ever and he is so handsome that is name should be placed under "mode" in the dictionnary, even if never have opened it.

Such superior beings cannot be placed in the same room for a long time; thats why Oasis split.

/end thread
The Blues Cartographer

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:32 pm

When I was a kid there was a free Oasis poster with some music magazine, so, ever the artist I sat down and spent a bit of time daubing the words "Die talentless scum" over in it red enamel paint. Wish I had a picture of it, would be nice for nostalgia. Maybe could get it framed and give it to my mum for her next birthday.

I don't get so upset by them nowadays, just amused. My friend regularly sees Liam traipsing around Tesco (HIghgate Village of course!) with his kid, looking fairly pissed off and after Crunchy Nut Cornflakes or something.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:37 pm

I disliked them from the get go, but more interesting to me is that I never hear their music now. Must be I live in a special corner of the universe, but it’s been years since I heard one of their tunes.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:03 am

Nobody listen to the Amorphous Androgynous - Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble mixes I mentioned a few floors up?

D

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:33 am

countertext wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:37 pm
I disliked them from the get go, but more interesting to me is that I never hear their music now. Must be I live in a special corner of the universe, but it’s been years since I heard one of their tunes.
i am jellous as hell. but in the uk, their music is still heard on every drama show aimed at 20-something idiots to try coming across as cool. which is a shame since i felt like oasis being a plot point/featuring heavily on one of my fave shows of recent years (my mad fat diary) was a point against it..... but i give it a pass since it introduced me to sharon rooney and i have a total crush on her.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'