VAZZ - Submerged Vessels And Other Stories

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

VAZZ - Submerged Vessels And Other Stories

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:53 am

VAZZ probably mean nothing to no one if you don't come from Glasgow but since there is one other fan on OSG (scottT) I'll give this a go. They were active during the 80's and their records came out on Cathexis which was the child label of the tape only label Pleasantly Surprised who released the very first Cocteau Twins recording I ever heard in early 82' and I knew Robert who ran both labels well because it wasn't just a Glasgow label releasing music I liked it was a label from my part of Glasgow. Cathexis released some amazing records by Pink Industry (see thread) who I regard as not just one of the best Post Punk bands but simply one of thee best bands and also the brilliant Smurf in the Gulag record by Clair Obscur and of course the first Fini Tribe EP.

So...back to VAZZ. The first I heard of them was a tape release which has been conveniently been reissued on vinyl by Forced Nostalgia as a spilt with the wonderful Italian band Der Bambola Del Dr Caligari.

So a few years ago Fored Nostalgia put out a CD collecting old recordings and some late 80's EP and album tracks and now STROOM have released Submerged Vessels And Other Stories, which has a similar but not identical track list but this time it's on vinyl.

So if you like Dif Juz, the Cocteau Twins, a little AR Kane wooze, smidgeon of Josef K and, ACR and a tinkling of Sylvian and Sakamoto this might be up your street.

VAZZ - Submerged Vessels And Other Stories full stream and with the vinyl you also get a free CD of Hugh Small's piano recordings from 2014-16.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: VAZZ - Submerged Vessels And Other Stories

Post by scottT » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:15 pm

I got into this band a bit by accident. I had been looking for early Italian electronic music, and with David's recommendation I picked up a great double LP comp called Mutaziione: Italian Electronic and New Wave Underground 1980-1988. On there is a standout track called "Deep Skanner" by the aforementioned La Bambola Del Dr. Caligari. It was in searching for more by this band that I found the split LP "Whisper Not", featuring them on one side, and this band called VAZZ on the other. Needless to say, VAZZ knocked me out, so it was kind of cool the way that discovery happened.

I would love a vinyl copy of Submerged Vessels, but right now the shipping is prohibitive. What I am also really intrigued about are the piano pieces by Hugh Small which are being included. They sound beautiful--especially since solo piano is my favorite kind of music.