Post The Greatest Song that No-one Ever Listened To...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Post The Greatest Song that No-one Ever Listened To...

Post by daemon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:01 am

I could actually see it going both ways. Stuff that you would've never heard years ago can often be found after a few clicks. However, the preponderance of music to listen to has grown exponentially, with the ease of recording and distributing. With only a limited amount of time in the day, there's only so much you can get to, so much of the obscure remains so. I'm constantly finding things that I've never heard of until now, and I'm pretty heavy into musical discovery.

So, I'll give two examples, one new and one old.
This one I just found recently, via my tried and true method of checking out anything and everything from a particular label, in this case Slumberland (Velocity Girl, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, etc.).
The Proper Ornaments - Now I Understand

The old is a band that never got nearly the attention of their label mates (a little band by the name of Verve), but who I think are phenomenally better. It's hard to say for sure, but maybe that's one of the things that led the lead singer, Ritchie Lee, to kill himself in 2001. Their brilliance lies in beauty through subtlety. Though they weren't afraid to turn it up, a-la Neil Young, they seemed to gravitate towards calmer waters that carried more weight than most of their peers.
Acetone - All the Time

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:02 am

daemon wrote:The old is a band that never got nearly the attention of their label mates (a little band by the name of Verve), but who I think are phenomenally better. It's hard to say for sure, but maybe that's one of the things that led the lead singer, Ritchie Lee, to kill himself in 2001. Their brilliance lies in beauty through subtlety. Though they weren't afraid to turn it up, a-la Neil Young, they seemed to gravitate towards calmer waters that carried more weight than most of their peers.
Acetone - All the Time
Yep. Acetone deserved better.

echobaseone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echobaseone » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:08 pm

^Acetone were great, I saw them open for Spiritualized a couple of times, I think around the time of Pure Phase.
Here's my entry:
Abecedarians "Soil"
https://youtu.be/kjRN5XVEifQ

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Kingston Wall: Two of a Kind

https://youtu.be/KjD0esVDz2o

Finnish psychedelic rock from the early 90s. One of my all-time favorite tracks. The drumwork (among other things) is just mind-blowing.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:50 pm

I don't know about greatest, but I think this deserves to be more well known--Cast Reflection by Vazz. This was one of about half a dozen songs from a very limited cassette only release in 1982 called "Whisper Not". What is fascinating to me is not only how it's very much a product of its time, but the uncanny way it looks forward to more current music like HTRK and Tropic of Cancer. It's also very much ahead of its time in that way.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:45 pm

scottT wrote:I don't know about greatest, but I think this deserves to be more well known--Cast Reflection by Vazz. This was one of about half a dozen songs from a very limited cassette only release in 1982 called "Whisper Not"..
Yeah, that's a great track and in case anyone doesn't know it's available on vinyl as a split elpee on Forced Nostlagia with the Italian band La Bambola Del Dr Caligari, who have this utter gem on their side of the coin.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:37 am

Furniture - Why Are We In Love trying to think of something that isn't the usual sort of less known minimal synth or post punk record I'd post (or lost folk or kosmische for that matter). Still broadly post punk but but a sort of romantic post punk jazz to tango with your honey in the sodium street lights to. There was a bit of a thing around this time where bands had ambitions beyond their budget and I guess this has it's eyes on the stars while struggling to get out the gutter. No real story, I was just totally captivated by rolling two stroke drums when I first heard it in 1983 and I've dropped it on mixtapes on and off ever since.

A pretty conventional song that more folk should hear is Agincourt - Dawn. Pretty obscure prog folk song that was probably dated in 1970 but...it's more relevant today and a genuine ramble in the mystic woods. Again no real story beyond seeing it in a box at a fair and buying it for the crappy/awesome mystik owl doodle sleeve. Again not really that obscure prior to reissue.

OK going household name....Olivia Newton John - Love Song. Amazing hauntologial echo ballad, head nectar for musical hummingbirds. It's not that far off Creatures of an Hour era Still Corners. I got this in a job lot of singles and on the surface it looked like the cuckoo in the nest and I nearly didn't play it but I did and I've been an advoate ever since.

This needs two links, one to hear the song properly and another for the mystic misty TV version.

Olivia Newton-John - Love Song

Olivia Newton John singing Love Song Opening scene from her first ABC TV Special in 1976

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:39 am

OK, if we're talking obscure then here's a track with great personal significance for me from a Brisbane band that I knew personally:

Dumpster - Cravin' Mild

Inspired song-writing, immense sound (engineered by Wayne Connolly!), vocals completely free of irony - for my money this and all their other output is at the absolute pinnacle of Australian 90s indie guitar, right up there with Big Heavy Stuff, Glide, Bluebottle Kiss, Screamfeeder, Died Pretty, You Am I etc. etc.

They sank without a ripple. All band members went on to lead blissful and virtuous lives as far as I can discover, so it turned out OK in the end.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:47 am

echobaseone wrote:^Acetone were great, I saw them open for Spiritualized a couple of times, I think around the time of Pure Phase.
Here's my entry:
Abecedarians "Soil"
https://youtu.be/kjRN5XVEifQ
Yea, Jason Pierce was an aficionado, and even dedicated a song to Ritchie. I'd never heard of the Abecedarians, but that's good stuff.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 am

Here are three of my favorite songs from Robert Pollard who is probably my favorite songwriter on all time. Many of you may know these but not a lot of folks I run into know about him.

John Strange School https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNi3KpsQz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

King of Arthur Avenue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REBN5R4y5tY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Feet's Trustworthy Existence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bKqEe0LAI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dillon Fence was local band that was active in my area of N.C. when I was in my late teens and early 20's. They did some good stuff and were an influence on my early attempts (and failures) at trying to write songs.

Collapsis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r22yu5aPK8I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll add one more that's completely different but it's one of my favorite songs ever and to me the finest example of drum programming I've ever heard from the MIGHTY Paradox!

Play Twice Before Listening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g9mVe95rNM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;