Now it's fucking Holger Czukay who died I swear to God...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Now it's fucking Holger Czukay who died I swear to God...

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:12 pm

http://www.avclub.com/r-i-p-holger-czuk ... lMarketing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I guess I gotta put up a Can song I like a lot but I don't want to keep doing this 2017...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZUCxG3I01I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Now it's fucking Holger Czukay who died I swear to God..

Post by Gavanti » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Yeah. >:( :(
Sometime in the mid-90s, hearing Tago Mago opened me up to a lot of new (old) music.
Paperhouse

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 pm

:o :'( :-*
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:06 pm

I usually don't chime in on these threads, but this one really hits hard. Truly a unique character and it's hard to overestimate his importance as a pioneer of sampling and tape looping. I can't begin to fathom the horizon-wide breadth of music his influence has touched.

I still recall going over for dinner to one of my parents' hippie friend's houses as a kid...at some point amidst an evening of insufferable jam band booze piping in from the living room Tago Mago came on and I'll forever remember literally freezing in unsettled awe form the first meandering notes of Paperhouse and that wonderment hasn't worn off to this day.

Whenever I'm frustrated at my lack of technical ability on an instrument I remind myself of a nugget of Holger wisdom:
Inability is often the mother of restriction, and restriction is the great mother of inventive performance
RIP to a true original.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:13 pm

^^^

Consigned, a huge part of my musical map for going on 40 years and still releasing great records very recently too. Definitely a huge part of where I went and where I ended up.

You did well to highlight his innovations in sampling and his playful misuse of dictaphones. Anyone who hasn't heard Boat-Woman-Song off the Canaxis 5record he did with Rolf Dammers will probably be amazed to learn it was recorded in 1969.

My introduction was actually pretty prosaic, I bought Ege Bam Yasi and Tago Mago secondhand. I can't 100% say why, I thought it might have been for the sleeves but since it was around the time Metal Box came out, it might have been a combination of Lydon mentioning them and me picking the records based on the sleeve. What is certain, is that bought everything I could find very quickly and it totally set me off on German music, something that never left me.

His recentish work as part of Bison is something of a joy.

Bison - Mandy (extended vocal mix)

The label it's on Claremont 56 did right by Holger, putting out a lot of records he'd been forced to edit by record companies.

Inevitably, all the journalistic weight will fall on Can, well meaning but largely ignorant. When I heard i immediately thought of the deepest beauty of Dark Moon off Moving Pictures from the early 90's. This seems appropriate.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:11 am

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 am

This is too much, first Jaki, now Holger. The afterlife has an incredible rhythm section.

Genuinely this has hit hard.
shadowplay wrote:Anyone who hasn't heard Boat-Woman-Song off the Canaxis 5record he did with Rolf Dammers will probably be amazed to learn it was recorded in 1969.
Yes!
nanamour wrote:
Inability is often the mother of restriction, and restriction is the great mother of inventive performance
This sums him up - what a a great quote - a musician who contributed to the whole rather than being a "bass player" or "guitar player" or whatever. An instant composer.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:21 am

ah man, i used to live next to the guy (not the same house, but real close neighbourhood). late 90s: gf & me arrived at the dairy cooler, she picked her favorite joghurt, i did the same, and holger was just standing there, totally confused, probably not knowing which dairy product to pick. gf & me giggled. along came holger's gf, almost yelling: 'you've been standing there for half an hour, would you happen to know what you want by now???'. the guy turned around, faced his gf with a real sweet smile and uttered something in the vein of 'mnwahdunno...', then he turned back again to stare at what probably was the most amazing assortment of dairy products he's ever seen. his gf stomped off, cursing. i said to my gf 'i guess he's a-trippin real good', gf responded 'that guy's been trippin for a hundred years, and he's drivin his gf nuts'. i guess she was right. somewhat later holger's gf dragged him out of the supermarket. she was furious. he didn't notice a thing. i told my gf i loved her. she gave me a kiss and said she didn't want to end up like holger's gf. she was right. rip holger.
Nobody exists on purpose.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:52 pm

:(

I learned of him through the collaborations he did with David Sylvian. What a lifetime of work!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:00 pm

mezcalhead wrote:I learned of him through the collaborations he did with David Sylvian. He left us with a lifetime of work to be proud of.
Same. I ended up learning about Can after those collaborations and worked my way forward. He was an amazingly inspirational voice in the music world, but criminally unknown amongst the general masses. I hope his contributions become more widely appreciated as time goes on.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:18 pm

I hate to quote a crappy movie but it seems appropriate: "We have reached the point where life has stopped giving us things & has started taking them away."

RIP. I love Can.
We are merely moving shadows.