St Vincent - New York

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: St Vincent - New York

Post by rhythmjones » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:43 am

https://pitchfork.com/news/st-vincent-a ... ss-listen/

Album- Masseduction out Oct 13. New song, Los Angeles out now. Giving Los Angeles a first listen now.
- Mitch

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:16 pm

rhythmjones wrote:https://pitchfork.com/news/st-vincent-a ... ss-listen/

Album- Masseduction out Oct 13. New song, Los Angeles out now. Giving Los Angeles a first listen now.
On first listen I like this much much better than New York -- it has a great chorus! The cover is also cool as well as the title (which is not Los Angeles by the way ;)
Last edited by mediocreplayer on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:24 pm

I like that a lot more than "New York". I love that she isn't afraid to not be a 'guitar hero' on every song just because she can.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:35 am

It's smart to put the words "New York" in your song. I have driven through New York. I have never driven through without hearing a Billy Joel song, or more lately, that Alicia Keys song. They simply love that shit. You have a built in audience.

I like the song. She's dumbed it down for me!
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:34 am

Official video released for Los Angeles. The verses and hook have a definite Kraftwerk vibe to them that I dig.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Pmg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pmg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:12 am

Great song

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:46 am

Telliot wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:34 am
Los Angeles.
Los Ageless, it got me too! Also everyone says "masseducation" when it's "masseduction" which also got me too.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:40 pm

I like some of her music. She's an incredible guitarist. She seems really manic all the time. Eyes wide open and very little expression in her face. She's like a female David Byrne (without a 'remain in light'). She kind of makes me feel unsettled. She seems a little more affected in interviews, but she still sort of has this constant odd psycho vibe.

Edit:
This comment on the video is priceless: "Annie gave us 3 minutes of rich white woman on hallucinogenics doing errands in Manhattan"
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:18 am

Some guests asked me if I liked her at the weekend and it really got me thinking. I think reactions to her are really quite strange and generally the first thing that comes out someones mouth isn't 'I love that song' but something more focused on ephemera and often along the lines of Scott's 'fascinating creature' epithet which was PURE Terry Thomas (21 seconds in).

It's like folk prefer to talk about her as an image or personality than her actual music. Lots of chat about her guitar prowess, her 'hilarious' spoof interviews, her celebrity pals, her getups** and her videos but not so many people loving her albums. I mean most artists resorting to puns, get short shrift but she gets called clever.

I wonder if there's some scientific formula that restricts musicians with mass market ambitions to a box where there's only so much room and the more you grow your image the smaller the musical interest gets.

I do think she's obviously pretty talented but hooking up with the dreary likes of Jack Antonoff, whose productions have the shelf life of a sliced loaf, isn't exactly playing to her strengths IMO. I wonder if with her media profile, which at least in the UK is bigger than her musical profile, might have given her the latitude to indulge herself with a more interesting producer with a taste of odd shapes, perhaps an Arca or some newer hotshot like Jlin (if she'd be willing).

This looks a little harsh, I was aiming at honest but this probably requires a more skilfull communicator than I.

D

*often feeling like it's some sort of gender novelty.

**one of a million with a Syren Garbo blouse ...I mean there's a few in our house and it's a pop star staple.
Are you loathsome tonight?

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:18 am
Some guests asked me if I liked her at the weekend and it really got me thinking. I think reactions to her are really quite strange and generally the first thing that comes out someones mouth isn't 'I love that song' but something more focused on ephemera and often along the lines of Scott's 'fascinating creature' epithet which was PURE Terry Thomas (21 seconds in).
This made me laugh. I recalled a Jay Leno monologue where upon seeing Jay's new girlfriend, his Dad asked: "and who is this lovely creature?". Jay then went on to wonder out loud in what universe was calling someone a creature flattering. "Oh, just someone I met in the Black Lagoon!" I'm a fan of old movies and mannerisms, and a word or turn of phrase frequently makes it into my vocabulary (much to my brother's endless amusement).

I do cop to being more intrigued by her persona than her music at this point. But that's o.k. I guess, as it's all part of the package for the entertainer.
BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:40 pm
I like some of her music. She's an incredible guitarist. She seems really manic all the time. Eyes wide open and very little expression in her face. She's like a female David Byrne (without a 'remain in light'). She kind of makes me feel unsettled. She seems a little more affected in interviews, but she still sort of has this constant odd psycho vibe.
I first became aware of her through image. Coincidentally it was a photo of her with David Byrne where they are both wearing prosthetics to distort their faces. I think you describe her very well. She seems to me the type who straddles music and performance art like Laurie Anderson, Annie Lennox, or David Bowie. I'm never quite sure how I would relate to them, so it was refreshing to (for ex.) see her at the Ernie Ball factory and listen to her talking about designing her signature guitar, and other times I have heard her speak in a down to earth way. There is a duality there that interests me.

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:00 am

shadowplay wrote:

you have dumb thoughts

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 am

Harmoncj wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:00 am
shadowplay wrote:

you have dumb thoughts
Why don't you explain my dumbness to me or at least give me the benefit of your obviously superior intellect comrade. If StVincent hasn't been treated as bit of a novelty on this forum which is after all the home of the patented 'Girls with Guitars' thread consider me incredibly surprised.

btw If you are trying to say I'm sexist you are barking up the wrong tree, far from it, I've five daughters and I've not got a sexist bone in my body.

D

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 am

I just dont get how this idea of "gender novelty" could be anything other than sexist!

Think of this, an artist like animal collective share the same amount of attention, album-of-the-year lists, headlining festivals etc yet they have no discernable talent, can't play any real instruments, bad singers, incomprehensible lyrics, barely rehearsed and no one remarks on their gender. Annie clarck you might not like her music but shes highly talented at both vocals and guitar, and well put together material (the 2 most recent albums especially) it is definitely sexist to suggest "gender novelty"

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Harmoncj wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 am
I just dont get how this idea of "gender novelty" could be anything other than sexist!

Think of this, an artist like animal collective share the same amount of attention, album-of-the-year lists, headlining festivals etc yet they have no discernable talent, can't play any real instruments, bad singers, incomprehensible lyrics, barely rehearsed and no one remarks on their gender. Annie clarck you might not like her music but shes highly talented at both vocals and guitar, and well put together material (the 2 most recent albums especially) it is definitely sexist to suggest "gender novelty"
No it's not sexist, it an observation along the lines of the very common things you see regarding female artists where folk feel the need to comment on the fact that they write their own songs, as if that's somehow surprising. She's female, she's a technical player, it shouldn't be a novelty but somehow it is and so many of the threads in here about her are choked with gooey eyed declarations of love for her and talk that has very little to do with her end product.

Look, I've posted about hundreds of female artists on here over years and years, I've had it out with folk slut shaming female artists, letching after them, talking about having a wank after looking at them and had it up to here with special threads on ladies who rock and other patronising shite. I 100% consider myself a lifelong feminist and I think my actions on here back that up over a long period if time. I'd bet my house I bought more records by female artists this year than anyone on here, not that I really care because I don't treat them any different.

As for the whole non musician thing which is a totally different thing altogether, I simply don't care if you can sing or play in some City and Guilds' measurable way, all I care about is that I like your music. I've said it till I'm blue in the face on here, totally Rudimentary 'musicians' or even non musicians can and often do make great music and virtuosos can and often do make shite music. It's art not academia, or should we bring in a system of mandatory piano grades on record sleeves?

D

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm

No it's not sexist, it an observation along the lines of the very common things you see regarding female artists where folk feel the need to comment on the fact that they write their own songs, as if that's somehow surprising. She's female, she's a technical player, it shouldn't be a novelty but somehow it is and so many of the threads in here about her are choked with gooey eyed declarations of love for her and talk that has very little to do with her end product.

Look, I've posted about hundreds of female artists on here over years and years, I've had it out with folk slut shaming female artists, letching after them, talking about having a wank after looking at them and had it up to here with special threads on ladies who rock and other patronising shite. I 100% consider myself a lifelong feminist and I think my actions on here back that up over a long period if time. I'd bet my house I bought more records by female artists this year than anyone on here, not that I really care because I don't treat them any different.
So what you're saying is that you think her fanbase finds her gender to be novel. Ok, well I can't doubt there are a portion of ignorant individuals in any large audience. I wouldn't be so cynical about it though, her music is actually pretty good, well written interesting arrangements there's no way to quantify and prove this and I don't expect to make you a fan, I'm not even a die hard fan but there are other high profile individuals like this who are getting away with murder how bad their albums are.
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm

As for the whole non musician thing which is a totally different thing altogether, I simply don't care if you can sing or play in some City and Guilds' measurable way, all I care about is that I like your music. I've said it till I'm blue in the face on here, totally Rudimentary 'musicians' or even non musicians can and often do make great music and virtuosos can and often do make shite music. It's art not academia, or should we bring in a system of mandatory piano grades on record sleeves?

D
Yeah I agree on this, 100%, I think were all on board with that, Im guessing a lot of us are even on this forum because of certain artists w signature offsets that are not technically regarded as "talented" singers ;) but the fact is they put a lot work into the craft of making good albums, so the idea of talented/untalented is semantics because they were able to sing well enough to make a stunning record. FWIW, when I can identify someone's honing their skills I think it is truly admirable because they earned it, but I'll agree it's worthless if the records not even good.