St Vincent - New York

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: St Vincent - New York

Post by shadowplay » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Harmoncj wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 pm

So what you're saying is that you think her fanbase finds her gender to be novel.
I can't speak about her fans I don't really know any, I'm talking about media and the way folk react to her on this forum. You dug me up for what I said, I absolutely refute any charge of sexism, I'm just not sexist and in any case there is more sexist stuff in this thread and in most other threads about her.

There's a thread right below this in a Samantha Fish and I feel it's infested with the same attitude about woman players being somehow novel. I can't recall many threads on the hundreds of totally ordinary male blues players doing the same ghastly material round the same circuits in the same style.

Imo what I'm saying is the opposite of sexist because i think it's a sign of how far we still have to go if it's still somehow novel that a woman is a fleet fingered guitarist. I'm sure I've even heard Annie herself complain about being judged as a female artist and not just an artist. You know while I think all award shows are a right load of shite and just lobbying contests, I'd love to do away with the gender classifications.

The last thing I want to do is offend anyone or appear like a sexist pig and if in any any I've come across like that I apologise. I'm just not like that at all.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:43 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 pm
Harmoncj wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 pm

So what you're saying is that you think her fanbase finds her gender to be novel.
I can't speak about her fans I don't really know any, I'm talking about media and the way folk react to her on this forum. You dug me up for what I said, I absolutely refute any charge of sexism, I'm just not sexist and in any case there is more sexist stuff in this thread and in most other threads about her.

There's a thread right below this in a Samantha Fish and I feel it's infested with the same attitude about woman players being somehow novel. I can't recall many threads on the hundreds of totally ordinary male blues players doing the same ghastly material round the same circuits in the same style.

Imo what I'm saying is the opposite of sexist because i think it's a sign of how far we still have to go if it's still somehow novel that a woman is a fleet fingered guitarist. I'm sure I've even heard Annie herself complain about being judged as a female artist and not just an artist. You know while I think all award shows are a right load of shite and just lobbying contests, I'd love to do away with the gender classifications.

D
I dunno well I stand corrected, I guess I took it out of context because it looked like a lousy comment to me! So you're making a comment on the toxic on this actual board, you might have a point because the material in that samantha fish video is very hacky.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:33 am

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:04 am

Well written piece. I think the writer was pretty sharp about the record.

And "Pills" is pretty damn impressive to my ears.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Straight6DOHC » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:42 am

Listened to all of her albums...........once.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:16 pm

I haven't listened to much of her material. What I have listened to, I've not enjoyed. Seems just mediocre to me and I don't really see the appeal.

Her signature guitar is kind of a neat concept though.

ifallalot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ifallalot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 am

I much prefer the Los Angeles song

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Her signature guitar is kind of a neat concept though.
I've played one; it's a great guitar. The neck is especially good.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 am

Anyone heard "Masseducation", the piano-and-voice re-imagining of Masseduction? I'm really enjoying it - I didn't rate Masseduction as highly has her previous few albums, but it's great to hear the songs stripped right down.

Here's Saviour, which was a high point of Masseduction for me, and this version is just fantastic IMO.
Kenny

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Yeah, I'm really liking MassEducation.
- Mitch

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:05 am

not my thing but i support what she's doing.

i think she's one of those songwriters who is actually doing interesting stuff right now. i see a lot of people compare her to lady gaga which i dont buy. she's more interesting than lady gaga thought she was during her heyday.

but yeah, it's weird that in the uk, she's not more well known.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:05 am

She's well known in the UK, well covered by all the broadsheets with multiple covers and album of the year awards, plus unprecedented newspaper coverage of her signature guitar. She's also a fixture in the fashion and gossip column pages and the Daily Mail celeb pages. Though in some ways her dating and celeb adjacent shoulder rubbing has has given her a profile with folk who probably don't buy her records.

D

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:17 am

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:05 am

She's well known in the UK, well covered by all the broadsheets with multiple covers and album of the year awards, plus unprecedented newspaper coverage of her signature guitar. She's also a fixture in the fashion and gossip column pages and the Daily Mail celeb pages. Though in some ways her dating and celeb adjacent shoulder rubbing has has given her a profile with folk who probably don't buy her records.

D
i dont hear too many people talking about her or even playing her records. but saying that, i avoid the gossip rags like the plague so what do i know? as i mentioned, the few times i've heard people mention her has been comparing her to lady gaga.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:41 am

I think the first time I was aware of "normal" people being aware of her was when one of my colleagues was complaining about the annoying song on the radio on her drive in to work - turned out to be Cheerleader!
Kenny