Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25498
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:00 am

There's several tracks on the new Exploded View record Obey that would fit in here, though tend to throw the metaphorical raincoat over everything so it's not 100% apparent on first listen. One thing for sure Anika's voice is now totally where it needs to be

Exploded View - Obey

D

Btw anyone who likes this should check out her collaboration album with Shackleton.
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin
Posts: 11477
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:18 am
Location: Swampland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:59 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 am
Not a record but 100% relevant to this thread since it's a bit of a background and influences cheat sheet for neophytes and seasoned travellers alike. I've already pointed my dowsing rod at the preorder.



The A Year In The Country: Wandering Through Spectral Fields book
I just got around to ordering this book, the fourth-last copy according to Bandcamp if anyone else is interested.

I also bought the digital versions of their latest album "Quietened Mechanisms" and the other three "quietened" releases. The ideas behind these are really interesting, the music is from various artists so some tracks better than others but all good so far.

The Quietened Mechanisms

The Quietened Bunker

The Quietened Cosmologists

The Quietened Village



UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:41 am
I've seen this song compared to Broadcast, and indeed I can hear little melodic similarities here and there as well as drumming from the school of Come On Let's Go. I think it's alright, if not as enchanting as the mighty Bs; see what you think.

Caoilfhionn Rose - Awaken
I like this, a bit more extroverted than Broadcast maybe. Apparently she's from Manchester and has collaborated with Vini Reilly previously. The album could pan out well.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6093
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 am

I see Beautify Junkyards are doing a couple of UK shows this month - in London and Sheffield, unfortunately for me, as I'd love to see them live.

That said, having lived with the new LP for a while now, it hasn't really 'taken' in the same way the first one did. I see from recent photographs that they appear to have lost a crucial member in multi-instrumentalist João Paulo Daniel*, which is a real shame and a probable explanation.



* Not his real name, I suspect.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25498
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:58 am

Anyone else buy the Vic Mars cassette on Clay Pipe that came out this morning?
Vic Mars - The Hospice
In 2016, BBC6 Music commissioned Vic Mars to create a soundtrack to Robert Aickmans 'The Hospice'. The story was read by Gideon Coe, and broadcast on his evening show at Christmas that year. It was later broadcast on Radio 4 in an Omnibus edition. The music has never been released on any format before. Thanks to Gideon Coe and Henry Lopez-Real and Antony Ryan.
I might have missed this since I assumed it would come out around 8am but I looked at my mail when running with the dogs this morning and saw the email was out at 7. She says she might be doing more copies but you can digital it.

I've got the file on that comes with the tape and it's lovely stuff.

Vic Mars - The Hospice

Image

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1736
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by sammynb » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:16 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:58 am
Anyone else buy the Vic Mars cassette on Clay Pipe that came out this morning?

D
I didn't see the email until 40 minutes after I received it and they had sold out!

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25498
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:06 am

sammynb wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:16 am
shadowplay wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:58 am
Anyone else buy the Vic Mars cassette on Clay Pipe that came out this morning?

D
I didn't see the email until 40 minutes after I received it and they had sold out!
Awwww fucker! Hopefully she'll get some more made up. much shorter lead time with tapes.

Claypipe is great but in an ideal world they'd do well to mimic Polytechnic Youth. I buy everything on PY and Dom always does it the same way; live at 21:00GMT with no favourites giving everyone a fair shake which is important since their releases run from 25-500 copies.

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin
Posts: 11477
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:18 am
Location: Swampland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:11 am

The Corn Mother by A Year In The Country

“In the early 1970s a folk horror-esque screenplay made the rounds of the film industry but remained unmade until 1982.

The story is set in the late 19th century in a rural British village and revolves around the folklore of the “corn mother” ..

The small closely-knit farming community’s worries about coming modernisation and the possible repeat of a blighted harvest that had occured earlier in the village’s history ..

A local woman is seen wandering amongst the crops alone late at night and word spreads that she was attempting to curse the harvest and to unseat and take the place of the corn mother, thereby controlling the village and its sustenance.”




Sounds right up this thread’s alley.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25498
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:46 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:11 am
The Corn Mother by A Year In The Country

“In the early 1970s a folk horror-esque screenplay made the rounds of the film industry but remained unmade until 1982.

The story is set in the late 19th century in a rural British village and revolves around the folklore of the “corn mother” ..

The small closely-knit farming community’s worries about coming modernisation and the possible repeat of a blighted harvest that had occured earlier in the village’s history ..

A local woman is seen wandering amongst the crops alone late at night and word spreads that she was attempting to curse the harvest and to unseat and take the place of the corn mother, thereby controlling the village and its sustenance.”




Sounds right up this thread’s alley.
Aye I have my eye on that.

Did anyone get the Heartwood Institute Barsham Faire / The Third Eye seven inch on Polytechnic Youth? If not they are long gone at 99 copies only but you can dance the early music hornpipe in digital form over at their bandcamp for a quid or two. All the family can gather in the courtyard and have a wee dance, at least that's how the Coven Shadowplay like to do it ( it is pretty similar to schiarazula marazula).

Btw being an utter ignoramous on classical music (or posh Medieval folk music or whatever) I found a fucking great tune when that dance video ran on and it's a must have.

La Garza Del Rio Henares seems a CD only sort of thing which is a shame since I wanna pitch it down.

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:03 pm
Location: Lanark, Scotland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by Straight6DOHC » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:36 am

Flo & Spicey
Highlights for me are Kiss Kick and Sweet Splits but it's best to listen to the lot.
https://floandspicey.bandcamp.com/album ... ys-tea-set

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25498
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:42 am

Straight6DOHC wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:36 am
Flo & Spicey
Highlights for me are Kiss Kick and Sweet Splits but it's best to listen to the lot.
https://floandspicey.bandcamp.com/album ... ys-tea-set
Weird I was going to post Kitchen Sunk off that in song of the day.

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6093
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:32 am

Not 100% sure this qualifies, but I'm not sure where else it would belong: The Music From Bagpuss

I'm sure David will have got there before the vinyl edition sold out, but I was late for the party, as ever. Might nip into Monorail later on the off-chance they have a copy. It'd sit well beside my Freddie Phillips LPs.

There's also Dust On The Nettles, "Balancing the familiar with the obscure", if you believe the blurb. I dislike Cherry Red quite a lot, personally, but the music's the thing.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25498
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:40 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:32 am
Not 100% sure this qualifies, but I'm not sure where else it would belong: The Music From Bagpuss

I'm sure David will have got there before the vinyl edition sold out, but I was late for the party, as ever. Might nip into Monorail later on the off-chance they have a copy. It'd sit well beside my Freddie Phillips LPs.

There's also Dust On The Nettles, "Balancing the familiar with the obscure", if you believe the blurb. I dislike Cherry Red quite a lot, personally, but the music's the thing.
I did though I thought it was expensive for what it was, there's a regular£16 vinyl edition and the 'shop window' one, there's still some SW ones out there though I can't say for sure that that shop has live stock.

Norman have one left as I type.

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6093
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:47 am

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I had no idea it was so expensive, just that it had already sold out. I'll probably pass at that price.

User avatar
aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 am
Location: Germany

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:56 am

Anyone into Le Fruit Vert?
Cerebral, delicate, francophone.
Their debut Cassette got a vinyl pressing earlier this year.
Le Fruit Vert- Canto de Lemanja

This is from their second album
Le Fruit Vert- Jour Nuit Jour
Le Fruit Vert - Vu du large
The label it's on, three:four records, is brilliant also.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25498
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:51 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:32 am


There's also Dust On The Nettles, "Balancing the familiar with the obscure", if you believe the blurb. I dislike Cherry Red quite a lot, personally, but the music's the thing.
That's a not bad in for people wanting to quickly sample a lot of groups. I think I've already got most of it and some of the song choices aren't the ones I'd have gone for but it's definitely solid.
aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:56 am
Anyone into Le Fruit Vert?
Cerebral, delicate, francophone.
Their debut Cassette got a vinyl pressing earlier this year.
Le Fruit Vert- Canto de Lemanja

This is from their second album
Le Fruit Vert- Jour Nuit Jour
Le Fruit Vert - Vu du large
The label it's on, three:four records, is brilliant also.
Never heard of them but I'm really glad I clicked and I've bought! Canto De Lemanja conjours images of Julliana Barwick and S. Mcloughlin & A. Cooper floating through the world of Witch Cults.

Thanks, much appreciated,

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

Post Reply