Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:47 pm

^ One of my familiars told me about that too, but I fear it'll be more of an Oliver Twist than a Tim Cratchit Yuletide at Catalyst Apartments, so I'll probably have to make do with something less spendy from my self-Santa alter-ego and take cold comfort from opting out (to some degree at least) of the capitalist feeding frenzy the Feast of Stephen engenders.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:03 am

shadowplay wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:52 am
I was out for a walk in the woods and a friendly red fox informed me that Folklore Tapes are just about to release a vinyl version of the four calendar customs cassette boxes. It's not cheap but it's still decent value, I'm pretty sure it's less than I paid for all four tapes.

Rather pathetically is bought it as a happy Christmas to me and when it comes I'm going to have it wrapped. ???

The Folklore Tapes Calendar Customs Box Set
I'll be wanting the download of this when it's out. :ph34r:

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 am

Is it recent enough for Shadowplay not to mind the remastering?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 am

I think I’m late to the party, but holy shit, David, what a great post! We’ve spoken about our mutual love for Jacco Gardner, and I’m familiar with Hong Kong in the 60s, but there’s so much you’ve exposed me to I had no idea existed. Thanks so much!

Speaking of HKIT60s, do you know where I might find vinyl presses of their albums? I haven’t found much info, and what I have found doesn’t seem available in the US.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 am

Telliot wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 am
I think I’m late to the party, but holy shit, David, what a great post! We’ve spoken about our mutual love for Jacco Gardner, and I’m familiar with Hong Kong in the 60s, but there’s so much you’ve exposed me to I had no idea existed. Thanks so much!

Speaking of HKIT60s, do you know where I might find vinyl presses of their albums? I haven’t found much info, and what I have found doesn’t seem available in the US.
Let me second Todd's post and appreciation for David's first post!

I've listened to a couple of Jacco Gardner's songs, and he remings me a bit of XTC doing their Dukes Of Stratosphere and Barrett-era Pink Floyd. Is the generally the case for most of the oeuvre?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:24 am

Telliot wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 am

I've only got some sevens and a CD album. I've often thought that HKITS would be ripe for a catch all double vinyl release but no one as yet has tried.
Singlebladepickup wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 am
Is it recent enough for Shadowplay not to mind the remastering?
I generally don't care, well I do care when it's a cynical cash grab by some insatiable fat cat grandee but otherwise I fully support the majority of reissues (that you just can't buy anywhere secondhand). i don't collect records for their value, I collect them to listen to and it's neither here nor there to me if they are re-pressed or reformatted. I'm generally glad someone knows they exist.

I mean this turned up today (Solid Space - Space Museum), I've had it since 1981 as a cassette and I couldn't be more happy to see it officially out on vinyl (on Dark Entries). I fyou don't have time for the full record just listen to this;Solid Space - Darkness In My Soul

Btw Folklore Tapes have a 'Ritual Year Tape (Games, Traditions & Rites of Britain) ' tape and calendar out.

And again...another...HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ME!

D

P.S. I'm pleased folk got something out of this, thanks for the feedback and I'll try and revise it soon.
Are you loathsome tonight?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 pm

Dammit I think I'm going to have to buy their entire back catalogue, this stuff is brilliant
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:37 am

Okay, I know they didn't get much love when I raised their spectre earlier, but the new Tara King th. LP takes them into less '60s spy sountrack, more Kraut-cosmische territory some here might enjoy.

Taster: Tara King th. - Cosmoscillations

Album stream: Stellar Fantasies by Tara King th.

I'm curious to know if anyone can explain that "th." (for "theory") to me. Is it a French thing? A science thing? Anyone?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:08 am

The Heartwood Institute - Secret Rites fresh out on the most exalted Polytechnic Youth, so fresh, it's not even here yet but I'm posting it because they'll all be gone quick. Very much reminds me of Tales Of H​.​P. Lovecraft by The Duke St Workshop from what I've heard. The DL is pretty cheap if you don't want the record (which is also bargain priced at a tenner plus post).

Btw the Duke street Workshop just released a new digital only album. That's sounding great on first listen.

Okay, I know they didn't get much love when I raised their spectre earlier, but the new Tara King th. LP takes them into less '60s spy sountrack, more Kraut-cosmische territory some here might enjoy.

Taster: Tara King th. - Cosmoscillations

Album stream: Stellar Fantasies by Tara King th.

I'm curious to know if anyone can explain that "th." (for "theory") to me. Is it a French thing? A science thing? Anyone?
[/quote]

Sounds good thanks, I wish they'd get it out in a format I'm interested in but I still bought it.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:41 am

Heartwood Institute vinyl already sold out. Blink and you'll miss it.

Edit: just noticed the FB link, so we'll see....
Last edited by UlricvonCatalyst on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:45 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:41 am
Heartwood Institute vinyl already sold out. Blink and you'll miss it.
Not at the Polytechnic Youth Facebook. It's 9.99 plus post £14 all in sent direct to Dominic Martin at thegreatpopsupplement@hotmail.com

ROW details are; £14 | £17 | £19 for uk | eu | rest of world

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:03 am

^^^

He generally takes the FB sale down when they are gone so you should be OK. I had a bet on that I could make it to Friday without buying a record but sadly I caved on Tuesday.

I bought the digital for the high priestess of Coven Shadowplay to listen to in her carriage, she loves it, it's totally up her BOC loving street.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:21 am

^ Got it, thanks.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:54 am

Dollboy - Rites and Rituals it's tape only sadly but it's a cheap tape at £7 inc p&p inc download (which you can get on it's own)
Rites and Rituals is the new album from Dollboy (multi-instrumentalist Oliver Cherer).

The 12 tracks collected here are an alternately meditative and menacing journey down lonely country pathways, through silent woods and the ruins of derelict buildings. It's the sound of a world that has reverted to more primitive practices, inspired in part by Russell Hoban's post-apocalyptic novel Riddley Walker.

Ever prolific, the album follows hot on the heels of Cherer's The Myth of Violet Meek for Wayside & Woodland Recordings and (as Gilroy Mere) The Green Line for Clay Pipe Music in 2017. It's the first release on Modern Aviation, a new cassette and download label exploring folk and electronic music.
credits
released January 12, 2018

Dollboy is Oliver Cherer
Magickal stuff IMO.

I mentioned it before but Olivers Alias Australian Testing Labs Inc released one of last year highlights; Music For Aircooled Motoring on Polytechic Youth (just re-pressed). It's motorikking great.

Another relevant tape I just got is; Listening Center - Paths and Surfaces

D