Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am
This new Death and Vanilla album is currently floating my boat in a very good way.
I coincidentally just picked this up today

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am

Sharron Kraus has a new/old album out on Clay Pipe

Released on the 2nd of August is a repress of Sharron Kraus' long sold out 2015 Clay Pipe LP, which includes the new extra track Gwydion. Friends and enemies; Lovers and Strangers is a collection of songs inspired by the Welsh folk tales of The Mabinogi. The idea for the album was first realised while she was living in rural mid Wales

https://claypipemusic.greedbag.com/sharronkraus/

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:36 am

NickD wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am
Sharron Kraus has a new/old album out on Clay Pipe

Released on the 2nd of August is a repress of Sharron Kraus' long sold out 2015 Clay Pipe LP, which includes the new extra track Gwydion. Friends and enemies; Lovers and Strangers is a collection of songs inspired by the Welsh folk tales of The Mabinogi. The idea for the album was first realised while she was living in rural mid Wales

https://claypipemusic.greedbag.com/sharronkraus/
Mine came on Saturday, I have the first version but ponied up for the new song. Sharron is the real deal.

Btw if you don't know them check out her mostly instrumental records (actually cd dig only) Pilgrim Chants and Pastoral Tales and the companion piece Nightmare which are also from her time in Wales.

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:21 am

If you're in London in December:
In partnership with our friends at Eat Your Own Ears, Fire Records is very excited to announce a special day of music at Studio 9294 on 14th December in London! The Outer Limits will see performances from Vanishing Twin, Fenella (Jane Weaver + Raz Ullah & Peter Philipson), Death And Vanilla, Pictish Trail, Islet and more TBA.
https://fire-records.lnk.to/OuterLimitsShowbc
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:02 am

Direct hit in the centre of the hauntological dreamspace:

Scarred For Life, Kev Oyston and Memories of 1970s TV

Both a book detailing the impact of weird 1970s film and TV on an entire generation, and an album of original music inspired by it. Musicians contributing include Vic Mars, The Heartwood Institute and Keith Seatman, all of whom have been featured in this thread at some point.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:41 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:02 am
Direct hit in the centre of the hauntological dreamspace:

Scarred For Life, Kev Oyston and Memories of 1970s TV

Both a book detailing the impact of weird 1970s film and TV on an entire generation, and an album of original music inspired by it. Musicians contributing include Vic Mars, The Heartwood Institute and Keith Seatman, all of whom have been featured in this thread at some point.
Growing up in the USofA I feel like I'm on the outside looking in with this sort of thing. Yes, Dr Who made it over, and things got a little weird stateside, but nothing like the forces at work in the UK. I wish I had been able to see those shows (or the reruns) as a kid growing up (in the late late 70s and 80s) so it soaked into my bones a bit. Watching the links now as an adult doesn't really hit me the same way. Super psyched to hear the music though. 8)

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:25 am

We got a fair bit of it in Oz, maybe I got more than most as my mum was very keen on us watching British programs (a lot of Oz TV was brought in from either the UK or US). I've had a bit of an after-the-fact education from my other half as well.

There is a similar hauntological strand in Australian culture but more limited I think. Picnic At Hanging Rock is a good example of it, but it exists more in film and less in children's TV which tended to be brightly coloured and positive more like US kids' TV. You don't get very far back in Australian history before running into colonisation, Terra Nullius etc. and that hampers people's thinking in those areas I believe (and I also think this country is culturally sick as a result of that but that's a topic for a whole other discussion).