Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by NickD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:01 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 am
The new Belbury Circle (Belbury Poly + The Advisory Circle = Belbury Circle) elpee 'Outward Journeys' arrived at Castle Shadowplay today bourne on a ravens wing. Really brilliant stuff, with a couple of collaborations with the fantastic mr John Foxx.
A slight aside, but I got a copy yesterday and haven't listened yet as it was damaged/badly pressed, second Ghost Box in a row with issues :(

Hopefully my local emporium have put another aside for me and I'll be listening tonight.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:57 am

^^^

That's b;oody annoying. I bought a few for the family and I'll have to heck they are all OK.

Its a superb record, really put some sping into my day, so worth the wait.

Oh and I tell ya, John Foxx is such a don, he's never embarrassed himself like so many of his contemporaries. So classy.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:30 am

Yikes! Those Zebra pants are a little ZUBAZ to me. :unsure: Totally picking this up though. :ph34r:
shadowplay wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 am

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:27 am

it's been a long time since I posted but I came across this recently and thought it a good addition to this fine thread.

62 Miles from Space - Outside

I believe they are from Moscow, but I haven't done much research on them. Some Soundcarriers vibes and maybe a little Vanishing Twin.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:47 am

Slow-Pop wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:27 am
it's been a long time since I posted but I came across this recently and thought it a good addition to this fine thread.

I believe they are from Moscow, but I haven't done much research on them. Some Soundcarriers vibes and maybe a little Vanishing Twin.
Really good to see you around, you have been missed. That is a fantastic suggestion that I've just bought. :)

You might just have rode in and won the thread!

Not sure how I missed it since it's on Mega Dodo and I usually check out their releases but somehow missed this, so thanks.

D

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks David, I think the thread was won by you starting it! Always appreciative of your love of music and more importantly your love of sharing music.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 pm

Slow-Pop wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:27 am

More thanks for the recommendation - just ordered, and pleased to have nabbed the vinyl before it sells out for once.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:01 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:57 am

Its a superb record, really put some sping into my day, so worth the wait.

Oh and I tell ya, John Foxx is such a don, he's never embarrassed himself like so many of his contemporaries. So classy.

D
You're right, it's really good. I thought the 2 John Foxx collaborations were the high points on first listen.

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:39 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 pm

More thanks for the recommendation - just ordered, and pleased to have nabbed the vinyl before it sells out for once.
I think they are flying under the radar currently, glad you were able to pick one up.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:08 am

^I got one too!

This thread is so great. Keep up the good work and I will try and support all these artists as best I can (and the Royal Mail with all the international postage :wacko: ).

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Every time I open this thread it costs me money!

:)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:11 am

Virginia Wing and XAM Duo (stray Hookworms) - Tomorrow's Gift I'm a little confused as to whether this even goes in here, since it's roving the badlands around kosmische, jazz and concrete but it is at least TOP SHELF MATERIAL! A gorgeous record. I think this is going to get serious play.

I also want to put it out there that unlike some less well mannered record labels Fire have actually got my pre-order to me BEFORE it was available in the shops and they also released the bats on the download yesterday. Nothing more annoying than seeing a record available at Juno that you paid for months ago.

Label blurb.

Among slowly unravelling coils of oscillations and intermittent fragments of semi-formed loops, instruments both electronic and acoustic resonate gently against each other over an ever-evolving soundbed of textures. A meeting of minds and those exciting first sparks of inspiration soundtracked by celestial, otherworldly tones and free-flowing spoken word.

This was how Virginia Wing and XAM Duo spent two cold days at the start of January 2017. A weekend escape in the frozen industrial district of Bradford became an archive of improvisations that were later sculpted into an all-encompassing full length.
Within minutes of the four playing together for the very first time their ideas quickly grew into one single-minded theory; that of free-thinking, acting on instinct and each having the patience to allow even the smallest of initial ideas to grow organically into fully-formed pieces of music.

Condensed from 48 hours down to 48 intense minutes the group’s recordings create an all-encompassing new universe of sound with references from the mutated world percussion of Holger Czukay, the transportive saxophone of Pharoah Sanders, and the devotional music of Alice Coltrane.

Over the course of the album’s wide-eyed exploration, the group’s first ever steps of creative collaboration unfold in unexpected ways, whether it be on the inhibition-free wonderment of lengthy opener ‘Birch Polygon’, or the hopeful, throbbing ambience of ‘Good Roads Fair Weather’, with its minimalist piano and vapour trails of saxophone.

This overflow of collective creativity was captured live via half a dozen haphazardly placed microphones before being mixed dutifully and beautifully by close and trusted companion of the band, Misha Hering, who’s one-take, effect-laden sonic portraits were very much in keeping with the free-improvisation of the original session. With a few choice overdubs placed in and amongst to add further texture, the result is nothing short of stunning; meditative and warmly fluorescent, like a half-recalled melody teetering on the edge of a pre-cognitive memory. A spiritual record, perfect for a late-night diversion set to heal the souls of those willing to take it into their hearts.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:57 am

Not sure if this has already been covered or if they're even new(ish) releases, but fans of Death & Vanilla might like to know that Fire have reissued their Vampyr Soundtrack on double vinyl and also their alternative soundtrack for The Tenant.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:13 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:57 am
Not sure if this has already been covered or if they're even new(ish) releases, but fans of Death & Vanilla might like to know that Fire have reissued their Vampyr Soundtrack on double vinyl and also their alternative soundtrack for The Tenant.
Aye, I ordered The Tenant the other day.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:52 am

I was out for a walk in the woods and a friendly red fox informed me that Folklore Tapes are just about to release a vinyl version of the four calendar customs cassette boxes. It's not cheap but it's still decent value, I'm pretty sure it's less than I paid for all four tapes.

Rather pathetically is bought it as a happy Christmas to me and when it comes I'm going to have it wrapped. ???

The Folklore Tapes Calendar Customs Box Set

D