Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megagu

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 am

shadowplay wrote:
NickD wrote: A massive plus one to Ghost Box - I buy them completely blind now, the output is consistently excellent .
Even back when they were only doing CDR's it was clear they were establishing something that was really going to resonate with people. I'm pretty sure not many labels have had as great an influence on the records I buy.
I have to pick and choose a little more since I'm in the US, but yeah, me too. This is the ONLY current record label I feel this way about.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:33 am

What an amazing thread. Haha sound is one of my favourite albums ever and Man Is Not A Bird is quite possibly the best drum performance ever coupled with the best production on a song ever. Absolutely phenomenal band.

I know a few bands here but I'm very excited to listen to everything else.

An interesting broadcast "inspired" project was this 2014 album Ontario Gothic by Toronto/New York based guy Foxes In Fiction, a few of the songs are veerrrrrrry broadcast. Definitely my album of the year 2014, and he plays jags and jazzmasters which is a bonus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aV1mm4MAUg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 pm

I have to say I absolutely love your compilation threads, Shadowplay. They always provide a comprehensive insight into a corner of music it would have taken me ages to find and assemble on my own, and 4 out of 5 times also much to my taste. Cheers!
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 am

dylanafghjkl wrote:What an amazing thread. Haha sound is one of my favourite albums ever and Man Is Not A Bird is quite possibly the best drum performance ever coupled with the best production on a song ever. Absolutely phenomenal band.

An interesting broadcast "inspired" project was this 2014 album Ontario Gothic by Toronto/New York based guy Foxes In Fiction, a few of the songs are veerrrrrrry broadcast. Definitely my album of the year 2014, and he plays jags and jazzmasters which is a bonus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aV1mm4MAUg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Agree on the amazing Man is Not A Bird drums. IIRC that drummer had to leave because he couldn't afford to be in the band, which was a full on tragedy.

Thanks for the other tip, I'm definitely going to looking into them more. Quite dream pop sounding, with some more typically American guitar sounds and in some ways on a similar road to Strange Pleasure era Still Corners.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:42 am

Btw If you aren't from the UK and sometimes struggle with a lot of the themes and references on Ghost Box, have a look at A Year In the Country which covers everything from bucolic horror, to touchstone TV like The Owl Service and The Changes, essential film viewing from Wickerman to Duke of Burgundy to Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders , lots of label and Ghost Box stuff, to design, to the rediscovery of folk, to folklore, to paganism and even an excellent range of original music.

Year One Archive

Year Two Archive

Year Three Archive

Also in the unlikely situation that someone hasn't heard ofScarfolk Council (think Belbury* through an even darker mirror) check it.

*Belbury is a fictional town from the CS Lewis novel That Hideous Strength, where a small town is under control of supernatural fores masquerading as a government institute called NICE.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:54 am

Oh and BTW is anyone going to The Delaware Road* happening in Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear Bunker this weekend which is going to be like powerful convergence of hauntological ley lines. It's a real fucking trek to get there** but I think it's worth it.

The Delaware Road Album.

Live happening in a disused Nuclear Bunker. I'm really looking forward to trooping off in gang to see this.

Short promo film; THE DELAWARE ROAD : LIVE @ KELVEDON HATCH NUCLEAR BUNKER JULY 28TH 2017

D

*Delaware Road was the original site of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop

** we are coming from fucking Scotland but I have London pals who complain it's too far out.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:12 am

Ceylon wrote:I have to say I absolutely love your compilation threads, Shadowplay. They always provide a comprehensive insight into a corner of music it would have taken me ages to find and assemble on my own, and 4 out of 5 times also much to my taste. Cheers!
Thanks, I'm glad you have use for it. I must admit that while I own all the records and am a fan of a lot of the musical and cultural inspritations, my knowledge isn't on the same level it is with (loosely) post punk stuff and I wouldn't claim it was very authoritative, especially since I just posted from memory.

I'm lookign forward to hearing about any good discoveries anyone made in this thread.

D

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:19 am

shadowplay wrote:
dylanafghjkl wrote:What an amazing thread. Haha sound is one of my favourite albums ever and Man Is Not A Bird is quite possibly the best drum performance ever coupled with the best production on a song ever. Absolutely phenomenal band.

Agree on the amazing Man is Not A Bird drums. IIRC that drummer had to leave because he couldn't afford to be in the band, which was a full on tragedy.

Thanks for the other tip, I'm definitely going to looking into them more. Quite dream pop sounding, with some more typically American guitar sounds and in some ways on a similar road to Strange Pleasure era Still Corners.

D
I think the drummer on Haha Sound was Neil Bullock - hadn't heard he left because he couldn't afford it but if so that's so disappointing. I love all the other releases but Haha Sound was something very special and I'm sure Neil is a big, big part of that. One of my favourite music stories is how they went to a church and said they were a worship band needing a rehearsal space and just used the church to record drums.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:01 pm

So I've been clicking around the list for the past few days and nights, and I must say there are some serious gems in the list. I've really found myself drawn to The Soundcarriers; this was expected since there've been several posts previously about these guys, but I guess this was finally the kick in the ass to really give them a shot. Not disappointed in the least, and wish I would have done this sooner. There's something ethereally familar about them, but I can't finger it to anything in particular. Primarily listening to Entropicalia, each instrument seems to perfectly equally participate to each song, and each song perfectly to the album as a whole. Never too much, never too little. Very fluid, very nuanced, and very, very good.

One that I keep finding myself coming back to unexpectedly though, is Roj. I've really only listened The Transactional Dharma of Roj so far (album full streaming). I can't bring out a worthy description or even sort of gather thoughts on why I like it, it just sort of is. Just finished cooking dinner to it, and just really really dig it.

Coincidentally, both of these guys are on Ghost Box. I've never really paid much attention to record labels because I honestly thought they were worthless now with the internet and all. But I guess I'll start looking at labels for new stuff now.

Anyway, this thread for is probably going to be my favorite music thread for quite a while, and hopefully I'll get better at being able to actually "say" things about them instead of stumbling over my fingers trying to articulate exactly what is about this stuff that I like.

Addy Bart
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Addy Bart » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Good to see Sam Mcloughlin and Alison Cooper get a mention. Their Supernatural Lancashire album is an absolute gem.

Also... the album from Exploded View

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FO0ltD6NLR4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

debudavid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by debudavid » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Absoultely wonderful guide! Many thanks!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:48 pm

InLimbo wrote:So I've been clicking around the list for the past few days and nights, and I must say there are some serious gems in the list. I've really found myself drawn to The Soundcarriers; this was expected since there've been several posts previously about these guys, but I guess this was finally the kick in the ass to really give them a shot. Not disappointed in the least, and wish I would have done this sooner. There's something ethereally familar about them, but I can't finger it to anything in particular. Primarily listening to Entropicalia, each instrument seems to perfectly equally participate to each song, and each song perfectly to the album as a whole. Never too much, never too little. Very fluid, very nuanced, and very, very good.
Yes they are a great band, if you like them check out this album by a member;
Paul Isherwood & Wayne Burrows - Exotica Suite. I totally freak for the track The Sorceress.
Addy Bart wrote:Good to see Sam Mcloughlin and Alison Cooper get a mention. Their Supernatural Lancashire album is an absolute gem.

Also... the album from Exploded View
Yes Supernatural Lancashire is indeed....Supernatural.

I also really liked the Exploded View album, it's probably more a post punk ancestor to me but then again Lark Descending and Stand Your Ground certainly have relevant elements. There was a thread on the album a while ago.

Annika the Exploded View singer has done the vocals on Shackleton's amazing new album Behind The Glass.

D

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:20 am

Oh! Another Broadcast inspired project.
Melody's Echo Chamber
Melody Prochet and Kevin Parker (Tame Impala)

Melody's songwriting is absolutely beautiful and while I get easily bored of Tame Impala, Kevin's production and performances on this are incredible. Kevin makes effects that normally sound pretty shitty in untrained hands (heavily bitcrushed drums, ring mod etc) very, very listenable. Amazing album.

Basically all the parts of Tame Impala's Innerspeaker that I like but with the songs written by someone really into Broadcast (but more than that, really).

edit: There's a new album, and I've only heard one song of it but I didn't like it as much, will listen to it and maybe check back.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:00 am

I quite liked the first Melody's Echo Chamber record. I think we're drifting into psyche dreampop territory, which is fine, since the wider the scope the more music posted. More down that alley; if you don't know them check out Josefin Öhrn + The Liberation, especially the superb Mirage album and the split with the brilliant Gnoomes (their newish record Tchak! is great).

As for Tame Impala, I'd rather listen to Dungen, who they've managed to do that Jesus to John the Baptist thing with and I can't stand his horrible GeorgeHarrison voice.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks David - that's a lot of undiscovered country for me to traverse when I can find the time.

Can't think of anything to add particularly, but I did come across some stuff on YouTube by someone who compared a number of Broadcast songs with their supposed "origins". Some are inescapably right on the money, others require you to screw up your eyes a bit to see the similarity; nevertheless, investigating the "origins" can take you down some interesting byways.

Broadcast Origins Playlist