Fun disco!

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fun disco!

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:00 am

There's often some discussion about whether or not disco is any good, I've always liked it so I thought we could have a thread on it. I was listening to an online radio station from Germany today, I play it for the kids on the weekends- "1000 Disco Hits". Anyway, it's a lot of the usual suspects but all of a sudden this twisted little thing came on that was new to me and I thought, hey, let's get some disco sharing going around because there's probably a lot more cool stuff that I don't know. For now, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5mtrWlv-n0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fun disco!

Post by shadowplay » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:09 am

I'm going dead in the heart of mainstream here;

Brian Reitzell feat. Debbie Harry - Tehran 1979 I thought this track from American Gods episode eight was a good effort if something of a pastiche. Incidentally the first ten minutes of this episode was pretty incredible TV IMO.

The thing is that there's always good disco around, it's a pretty elastic genre and IMO most of the best stuff came AFTER the disco craze.

More off the path is a lot of great stuff coming out my home city at this time;

AMOR - Paradise

And this sort of stuff

Golden Teacher - Love Rocket

Golden Teacher – On The Street

Pussy Mothers - Get From In Front Of Me

Pussy Mothers - When I Get It Right

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:06 am

I like that Pussy Mothers quite a bit!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:14 am

Larry Mal wrote:I like that Pussy Mothers quite a bit!
Cool, there's loads of groups doing that (broadly) post punk disco thing in Glasgow at the moment Sordid Sound System are another.

I remember you liking LCD Soundsystem and I wonder if you'd be into The Crystal Ark which was a group featuring LCD synth wizard Gavin Russom. Paradise is a classic, sounds like and old record but in a good way;The Crystal Ark—Paradise

Another super stone modern classic is; Lindstrøm & Christabelle - Baby Can't Stop (Aeroplane Remix)which has some pretty cool guitar too and is probably peak cosmic disco and goes really well with this comsmic scand- balearic epic; Junior Boys - Work (Prins Thomas Diskomiks) which has IMO classic disco lyrical subject matter of wasting away at work dying to do out dancing

another recent disco classik is Róisín Murphy - House Of Glass (Maurice Fulton Remix)

A really nice quirky old track from 1982 is Disconnection - Bali Ha'i (UK Discomix)which is a Rodgers and Hammerstein cover.

A classic modern disco album is Glass Candy b/e/a/t/b/o/x; Glass Candy - Candy Castle

I've not bought a lot of full on disko this year but Mr. Tophat feat. Robyn - Trust Me is a good one.

and to show Disco has legs and can travel how about a Pakastani classiK; Rupa - Aaj Shanibar

this is as fabulous as it is shameful; M. Ashraf & Noor jehan - Disco Dildaar Mera. Now that's a party I want to attend.

Disco spread all over the near and far eat and some amazing stuff came out the Anatolian scene like ; Nese Karabocek - Yali Yali. That tune really got about being reprised by Grazia and Googoosh.

These days load of great music for dancing comes out of Turkey and Israel in particular. It's not really discodisko butAutarkic - Asi Keta Ga is a classic that makes me think of some bootleg electro a taxi driver would have sold you on cassette in 1982 Tel Aviv.

this kinda makes me thing of how disco only really got quirky after the craze died down and you got classic fun tracks like Saâda Bonaire ‎-You Could Be More As You Are which came out in 84. I guess you could split hairs and call this an electro tendril but it's still disco to me

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:39 am

Hadn't heard The Crystal Ark before - I like! Thanks D.