The Heliocentrics - A World Of Masks elpee

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Heliocentrics - A World Of Masks elpee

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:05 am

I'll keep it short due to probable minority interest but this is one for the heads and it's been a fixture on the turntable since it arrived.

I've really liked previous Heliocentrics releases but this is the one I feel could shake them loose from their space Jazz moorings and off out into the wider universe. Firstly they've got themselves a exotic shepanther of a singer in Barbora Patkova (who comes on like darkening Nicolette) and secondly the record is arguably more overtly song based. Sure we're still dealing in loose limbed astral adjacent exploration but it's definitely out to wrap it's kosmische tendrils round you in a tighter embrace.

The record is out on Soundway and Vanishing Twin admirers might have their interest piqued because drummer and producer Malcom Catto also produced Choose Your Own Adventure.

The Heliocentrics - A World Of Masks bandcamp

Heliocentrics - A World of Masks (Full Album on youtube)

The Heliocentrics - Made Of The Sun (Live in Italy)

So if my recommendation carries even a downy feather of weight check it out.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Heliocentrics - A World Of Masks elpee

Post by Bert Camenbert » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks, I'll check this out. The Heliocentrics did records with Lloyd Miller and Mulutu Astatke that are, in my humble opinion, quite good.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:11 am

Bert Camenbert wrote:Thanks, I'll check this out. The Heliocentrics did records with Lloyd Miller and Mulutu Astatke that are, in my humble opinion, quite good.
Yes the Lloyd Miller one in particular is a belter.

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:41 pm

I listened to the first few tracks before anyone else arrived in the office, it's good. There's a definite Billie Holliday vibe to the vocals on Time. I'd imagine the whole thing sounds leagues better when not piped through an iPhone speaker :D

In any case, it's gone on the list for my next order.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:23 am

NickD wrote:I listened to the first few tracks before anyone else arrived in the office, it's good. There's a definite Billie Holliday vibe to the vocals on Time. I'd imagine the whole thing sounds leagues better when not piped through an iPhone speaker

In any case, it's gone on the list for my next order.
Cool, I'm vibed up about this record and I think we're getting into a time where this might actually appeal to a younger/wider audience since some of the retrofuturist and hauntologial acts are letting in a bit more small j jazz these days but twinning it more of a motorik or dub sensibility. I'm old enough to remember the great Acid Jazz harvest of the late 80's and some of these guys have links back to that era but they've thankfully lost the jazz geezer about town angle and gone down a more cosmic ginnel. It fits in well with some of the records coming out on Buried Treasure.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:42 am

In the offchance any non communicators enjoyed this album, I can report that the most recent Heliocentics record is an absolute stormer. It's a soundtrack to The Sunshine Makers the film about LCD producers Nicholas Sand and Tim Scully.

It's kool because the mighty Heliocentrics look to have treated any dippy twee flowers in your hair rhubarb like it was fashioned by The Man himself.

The Heliocentrics - The Sunshine Makers OST IN BANDCAMPAVISON!

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:54 am

I'll be making a purchase, although I think that was a given. World of Masks has been a firm favourite over the summer.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:29 am

NickD wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:54 am
I'll be making a purchase, although I think that was a given. World of Masks has been a firm favourite over the summer.
Don't think you'll be disappointed, really great record and brilliant sounding as well. Quatermass is a proper studio.

More conventionally but still recommended is the Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus elpee, that came out the same studio.

D

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:42 am

This record has been getting heavy rotation in my house - love the last track "The Uncertainty Principle"

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 am

mijmog wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:42 am
This record has been getting heavy rotation in my house - love the last track "The Uncertainty Principle"
Yeah that's a cracking track, Pretitle off the new one is in that territory.

On World of Masks I was regularly freaking out on first listen like when it just drops into the skanking pit on The Human Zoo.

I'd love to hear Wolf People recording at Quatermass.

D

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 am

shadowplay wrote:I'd love to hear Wolf People recording at Quatermass.
Me too! That has been the subject of one of those "wouldn't it be great if..." conversations.

In hindsight I wished we had taken the plunge financially and gone to somewhere like that rather than do everything ourselves.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:36 am

mijmog wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 am
Me too! That has been the subject of one of those "wouldn't it be great if..." conversations.

In hindsight I wished we had taken the plunge financially and gone to somewhere like that rather than do everything ourselves.
It's a big financial punt to take so I don't blame you and your records sound great anyway.

Did you see this ? Inside Malcolm Catto and The Heliocentrics' vintage studion IIRC he talks about a bit of a slding cost scale and even hints he cuts tape costs on his own stuff but I imagine it could really run up.

D

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:49 am

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:36 am
mijmog wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 am

It's a big financial punt to take so I don't blame you and your records sound great anyway.

Did you see this ? Inside Malcolm Catto and The Heliocentrics' vintage studion IIRC he talks about a bit of a slding cost scale and even hints he cuts tape costs on his own stuff but I imagine it could really run up.

D
Yes I saw that, brilliant isn't it? I think his approach is fantastic and his use of pedals too - enjoyed the slow, artsy tracking shot of the Behringer Time Machine. Up yours cork sniffers.

Recording records yourself is great but makes it hard to listen afterwards, you can just hear the process rather than the music, I didn't appreciate it years ago, wanting to do everything ourselves, but now I'm really attracted by the idea of someone else being in charge. They can look at it objectively - and plus they tend to have more experience and therefore expertise to say don't do it this way, try this etc. I also now appreciate the concept of the remastered/remixed album - sometimes you feel certain songs weren't done the justice they perhaps deserved.

Catto's recordings are banquets for the ears, could get lost for hours - been really digging the "From the Deep" record too recently.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:04 am

mijmog wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:49 am

Catto's recordings are banquets for the ears, could get lost for hours - been really digging the "From the Deep" record too recently.
I agree, I was think about this the other day while contemplating and rapidly shelving the idea of a library music thread. I was into hearing folks faves and wondering where it all went wrong. I keep noticing this when I'm waiting to pick up cars and the likes of Wheeler Dealers is on in the waiting room.

It's clearly full of utterly shat out library music of a 'Like Nirvana Track Version 7' ilk or 'cliched 80's synth track version 14'' but a million miles from the sort of magic you'd get on KPM, Bruton, Themes International, Boosey and Hawkes or from 'The Workshop', where you could just feel the quality.

The reason I meantion this is that a lot of Catto's music reminds me of library music, break filled, funky and really crafted. Totally the real deal.

Btw did you ever hear the Dandelion Set and Alan Moore Album? I think it might be up your street.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 am

It's probably unfair to both artists roping this album in here but it's probaby a fools errand starting a new thread and I think that both records have enough common appeal that it's at least worth a try.

It's obviously less groovy, big bottomed and up and at 'em than The Heliocentrics but it's got similarly old bones, a few new tricks and that BOC super 8 dreamglo and it's a must for anyone who likes to fly near library masters like Alan Hawkshaw and Parker or who just loves beautiful sounds...it just sounds beautiful and right.

Multi talented UK Jazz Pianist Greg Foat has teamed up with Mercury Award nominated "The Bees" member and multi instrumentalist Warren Hampshire to collaborate on a new LP drawing on their diverse musical influences. Classic British library music, 60s Italian soundtracks & lost Americana combined with touches of modern classical, minimalism, Jazz and Folk. Featuring many members of Greg and Warren's previous bands and one of the U.Ks finest Jazz drummers, Clark Tracy, the LP also features an Edinburgh orchestra and soloists hand picked and scored by the boys. Recorded all analogue onto 2" multitrack in Edinburgh, mixed down by Mattias Glavå at his studio in Gothenburg, Sweden then mastered and cut in Helsinki, Finland, it's truly a European affair flying in the face of the brexit nightmare. Re
Hampshire & Foat - Galaxies Like Grains of Sand Bandcamp

I meant to post this a while ago and forgot about it until Mrs S adopted the record as one of her recent favourites, so don't blame me if you have to take your little piggie to the secondary market. There's a new record out ina few weeks called Honeybear that you can preorder.

D