Getting into Mixing

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Getting into Mixing

Post by leokula » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:34 am

Hey there guys, recently I've been starting to study how to mix songs. I've always thought I should mix my band's songs, but in the past I saw mixing as a mystery or something that a magician would do, something very distant with a steep learning curve, but lately I decided to delve into the topic and been reading a lot and watching tutorials here and there.

I'm downloading multitrack files as much as I can to try and practice. I'm doing everything with open source software (Linux, Ardour and Calf plugins), basically going on a low budget approach and trying to understand the basics before ever going to a more advanced use of stuff. So far using only EQ, some compression and reverb.

I thought I should ask If anybody has any tracks they want to mix or would want to see how a second person would approach it. I'd be happy to work on anything you guys send me. It's definitely gonna be amateurish for now, but I do believe a pair of trained ears can go a long way.

It's mostly for me to practice with some new stuff than anything else, but maybe we could help each other along the way. I think it's a long shot that someone would need that as studios really handle all the mixing, but even if I get to work on one song for a band, I'd be flattered :)
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Getting into Mixing

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:13 am

I would try to get a stand alone digital recorder for cheap, practice with the tracks you record old school style.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Getting into Mixing

Post by leokula » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:51 am

Yeah, I'm doing this as well. Also will be working on my band's current release in parallel with another guy whom we paid to mix it for benchmarking.

I'm also remixing Abbey Road :)
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)