Iona Fortune -Tao of I

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Iona Fortune -Tao of I

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 30, 2017 6:44 am

I'm absolutely spellbound by this record, it's just so profoundly beautiful and I've played it repeatedly since getting it late last week. I guess it would appeal to people who like Coil since it's undoubtably a kindred instrumental orientalised Coil or maybe redolent of Zamia Lehmanni: Songs of Byzantine Flowers by SPK but I think it reaches out beyond that and into realms that people into minimalism or Laraaji or perhaps even into the more spare works of Dead Can Dance.

Iona Fortune - Tao of I Bandamp stream and also available on white vinyl on the Optimo Music label.

She also has a track on the the absolutley brilliant; Miracle Steps (Music From The Fourth World 1983 - 2017) on the same label.

She's from Glasgow and worth seeing live if you get the chance.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Iona Fortune -Tao of I

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:59 pm

I can only echo the sentiments, incredible record.
Another 7 announced is quite the feat, I've faith they'll live up to this.
Looking forward to when she plays out around here.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:19 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote: Looking forward to when she plays out around here.
I've seen her twice now, I took the family to see her support Molly Nilsson at the weekend. A non traditional live performance (Molly too), at least compared to the four bodies in a transit van model but really beautiful sounding and quite moving.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:32 am

Thanks for the heads-up David, I'd never heard of her before now, but very much enjoying. Definitely got that Coil feel to it. Interesting you mention SPK as well, because the bass progression on the first track instantly took me back to Graeme Revell's soundtrack to The Crow, albeit by way of John Carpenter.

It looks like I may a chance to nab the white vinyl edition if I manage to pop into Rub-A-Dub on the way home from work.
Kenny