50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper's...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: 50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper's...

Post by Telliot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 am

StevenO wrote:I'm usually very protective about The Beatles (don't anyone dare put down Ringo's drumming, I'm prepared to do time in order to defend him), but this remix just doesn't offend me at all. I might even buy it. I already own the stereo and mono versions, so this could be like looking at the same scenery I've seen for my entire life, but looking at it from a different angle. I'm fine with that, just so long as the originals are still available. It's not going to be a George Lucas thing where if you want to see the originals without all the added shit, you have to buy the discontinued VHS version.
That's fair.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:04 am

øøøøøøø wrote:"Is nothing sacred?"

For some people the answer is "no." For others the answer is "yes."
øøøøøøø wrote:"What would you do if I sang out of tune?"

Metaphorically at least, it appears the answer is "use technology to fix it half a century later."
I think you are on a Quixotic quest. The above may be relevant arguments if the discussion was about destroying the mono mixes and replacing them with something else. It is not.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 am

What "quest" exactly? The subject of the thread is "what do you think about the idea of new remixes," and I shared my thoughts. Not sure how that qualifies as a "quixotic quest."

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:40 am

I agree, as long as the other versions remain available, I'm okay with new versions coming out, as long as they don't completely bastardize it. It's still better than most of the stuff made today, and if a new version/mix/whatever gets more people into them, I think that's okay. I had the stereo & mono sets, too, and enjoy them both. But there can be a "too far".

BTW, this one time, Ringo almost hit a drum at the wrong time...almost.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:43 am

øøøøøøø wrote:What "quest" exactly? The subject of the thread is "what do you think about the idea of new remixes," and I shared my thoughts. Not sure how that qualifies as a "quixotic quest."
Maybe i misunderstood, but all the comments are written as if the current release is replacing the original version, so in that sense they seem to be addressing a non-existing problem/issue/concern.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:27 pm

I think the only remix album I ever bought(20 years ago!) was the pet sounds sessions box set..as it had vocal only mixes of the songs and a new stereo mix..it was only ever released in mono and duophonic. I definitely enjoyed the stereo mixes..and hearing the vocals separated was amazing...especially 'wouldn't it be nice' and the outro to 'you still believe in me'..haven't listened to it for years though...Interesting and a great learning experience....did it improve on the originals?? No of course not!

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0r511_QZJc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reggae Sgt. Peppers....???

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:53 pm

StevenO wrote:don't anyone dare put down Ringo's drumming, I'm prepared to do time in order to defend him

When I had a wee guitar shop in a local market an old guy came in and started going on about how Ringo "couldn't read" (talking about drum notation). I'm not sure what prompted this: maybe it was Sounds of the Sixties on the radio at the time playing a Beatles song; maybe it was the picture of Ringo playing bongos we had pinned up outside.

Anyway, he started going on about how he'd been taught to drum by Andy White* (the Scottish session man George Martin hired to drum on the single version of Love Me Do) and how whenever he played people would say "Is that Andy White drumming?" (as if) because he'd been taught the correct way to drum by the acknowledged master of 20th century drumming. He then went on to rubbish Ringo for not being able to read the notation George Martin had supposedly written for Love Me Do and for being unable to drum properly like himself and Andy White.

I made it clear to him that dissing Ringo was frowned upon in my shop and asked him to leave.

* By the way, I googled "alan white love me do" in order to find out he was actually called Andy. Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:05 am

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Beatles could read music, at least not at first. They got quite an education from George Martin as far as music theory is concerned, but I don't know if that ever included reading. Ringo's drumming was so full of feeling and musicality that I don't understand how anyone could ever in good conscience discount his contributions to the band. Furthermore, I don't recall people even knowing who the drummer was in any band before the Beatles, at least not when it came to popular music. Ringo challenged that through his talents and dynamic personality, drawing attention without ever pining for the limelight.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:12 am

Ringo is pretty much my favorite drummer from a technical (and overall good taste) standpoint. I will defend his playing to the death.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:19 am

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Beatles could read music, at least not at first. They got quite an education from George Martin as far as music theory is concerned, but I don't know if that ever included reading. Ringo's drumming was so full of feeling and musicality that I don't understand how anyone could ever in good conscience discount his contributions to the band. Furthermore, I don't recall people even knowing who the drummer was in any band before the Beatles, at least not when it came to popular music. Ringo challenged that through his talents and dynamic personality, drawing attention without ever pining for the limelight.
I was speaking with a colleague and friend the other night about what I call the "Ringo litmus test." We agreed that, when someone does not understand that Ringo was a great drummer, it's a sure sign that their priorities in and relationship with music are so drastically different from ours as to be likely incompatible.

Ringo didn't play the drums. Ringo played the SONGS. For whatever reason, some people get so deep into their preoccupation with craft that they're unable to see that.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:01 am

Anyone, particularly drummers, who discredit Ringo has being stiff or overly simplistic in his drumming ought to sit down and try to play along to the Beatles albums, hit for hit and feel for feel. It can be surprisingly, and I say this as a drummer and a huge fan of Ringo, to match even some of the simpler stuff he did. Just an amazing push and consistency. And that shuffles, sloshy hi hat stuff he'd do? Oh Lordy.

:-*

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 am

I've not listened to this but I saw it when I was looking for something else and thought I'd point a finger at it for fans.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - I Was There

Adrian Chiles speaks to those who were part of the making of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:25 am

Just when you thought "It can't get no worse"....

To add insult to injury, you apparently have to register your email address to see the full collection (I never made it that far).

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:47 am

^^^

The sight of someone wearing that shit would fill my heart with girlish glee, I'd feel compelled to ask them to give me a twirl in full Bruce Forsythe style.
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:Just when you thought "It can't get no worse"....

To add insult to injury, you apparently have to register your email address to see the full collection (I never made it that far).
You ever seen the Sacha Baron Cohen Liam Gallagher anecdote. :fp:

D
Are you loathsome tonight?