Everything that is wrong with rock and roll is right here.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Everything that is wrong with rock and roll is right her

Post by scottT » Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 pm

I suppose I deserved that for clicking on it.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Larry Mal wrote:Full disclosure: As a young man, but not really young enough to excuse it, I paid actual money to see the Spin Doctors, and while I was high and drunk there's no getting around:

I saw "Two Princes" live.

That's why if people say I get angry on here, you know what, you can well imagine, motherfucker. I have to live with that every day..
:w00t: Well if it makes you feel any better your pain provided some amusement. I tell ya that fuckimg song is as hard to shift as the clap. I saw some wrinkly bawbag wearing a washed out Spin Doctors tee shirt (He probably refers to it as...'vintage' :( ) recently and fuck me if it didn't take fucking hours for that musical stain to wash out my brain. As maddening as reports of tinnitus.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed May 17, 2017 9:41 pm

I saw the rolling Stones years ago, and the spin doctors opened.

We showed up after they had played and fucked off.

I guess what I'm doing is gloating about having dodged that bullet while Larry took it right in the ear holes.
This is an excellent rectangle

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Well, they deconstructed the shit out of that song, but not in a good way.

I was expecting much worse though.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Also, no Auto Tune so it's not everything that's wrong with rock n' roll.

ifallalot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ifallalot » Thu May 18, 2017 3:09 am

Aural AIDS

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu May 18, 2017 3:22 am

...and several hours later Two Princes is still in my fucking head...

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 18, 2017 3:25 am

NickD wrote:...and several hours later Two Princes is still in my fucking head...
Me too it's like a CIA black project.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu May 18, 2017 4:39 am

The mere mention of Two Princes is the Rickroll of rock and roll.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 18, 2017 5:08 am

So as I was having my beers last night, kids finally asleep, I was watching Sweet videos and avoiding sleeping myself, and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rftnB33goIg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always been a fan of theirs, and that's a fun video of some kids having fun. Fun, fun, fun. Music can be fun, if you let it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:19 am

Did you see the Regrettes version of it? Quite a bit better, but also lacking the original's pathos methinks.

There always have been, and there always will be, shitty bands playing shitty music and doing shitty covers. It will always be annoying and they will always suck. Decades from now some dope named Larry jr or Larrietta or something will admit that he/she saw Close Talker shit all over some stage before going on to liking more interesting music.

I still feel obligated to slog through the college-rock dreck in hopes of finding something I like. It reminds me of when I played in college in my shitty indierock band, generally as the opener, and had to sit through some shitty band I didn't like as I waited to get my band's cut of the door... usually like $20-$50. Seeing bad bands live is like my version of PTSD. I will never forget the burning desire for the songs to be better and for the fucking show to just end already. Every once in a while there was a cool band that I liked-- always a welcome surprise.

I have some allegiance to the AV Club, which came from the Onion, which originally came from Madison, WI. Right around the time I was in school there was when it really came into its own, and I have friends, and friends of friends that wrote and write for it, and they are all buddies on Facebook and stuff. Now they are based in Chicago, and Chicago's take on music has always been different than either of the cities on America's coasts. To my interpretation, it's inherently steeped in white guy ROCK music. That's not to say that they don't like women playing, or people with other shades of skin color, but it always feels like you have to understand the white guy rock language to get into that club.

It is so inherently midwestern Amuurican to me. (I know Larry lives in the midwest, and that there are plenty of people from there whose musical horizons span the globe). I can't see the AV Club ever appealing to a guy with tastes like Shadowplay. It's like a Maserati fan going to go to a Chevrolet dealership. :ph34r: :)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 18, 2017 6:52 am

Oh, I like the AV Club. I even like the idea of what they are trying to do here. I remember when they spun the AV Club off of the Onion, I was a subscriber to the Onion at the time and then I got this free bonus thing. I think the AV Club is great.

What I don't like, apparently, is whatever the fuck indie rock is at the moment. Or at least that version of it.

Frankly, though, and bear in mind that I'm an old guy and a father of two and I barely get to listen to much music anymore, but I've suspected for a long time that rock and roll has just run its course and the only reason it's still around is because its replacement hasn't fully arrived yet. It's old, there's no longer any counterculture element to it, there's no danger. And to rock and roll's credit, it was such a viable form of music for so long, and there were so many great artists who pushed the boundaries of it into almost all directions, and rock and roll has a huge lexicon of ideas and subjects, that it's really hard for anyone to stand out anymore.

I never see anything that doesn't immediately strike me as a re-working or re-imagining of a past idea. That doesn't mean it isn't good music, it always upsets people when I say this stuff. But it does mean that the genre is crystalizing.

And when I see crap like this stuff, it reassures me that I'm correct. Every now and then I come across something that challenges that assumption, though. I kind of suspected rock was dead at other points and then all of a sudden grunge happened, and while that was awful, all of a sudden rock and roll seemed to have some life it it left all of a sudden. Britpop might have been similar also.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 am

scottT wrote:I suppose I deserved that for clicking on it.
Hahaha, that's exactly what I thought too.

Also, I'm sad that offsets are being seen frequently in the hands of such acts, but I don't know how I'm "supposed" to act. Being upset that hipsters are using guitars I liked before them is itself so hipster that I want to punch myself in the face. But saying "I don't care what guitars hipsters are using, I'm doing my own thing...which happens to involve playing hipster guitars" ends up feeling almost as hipster.

I'll just go back to repressing these thoughts and enjoying actually-interesting music.

Also, I just realized something. These acts are basically copping the stage presence of bands that used to be strung out on heroin, minus the heroin. They looked the way they looked because they couldn't fucking tell how they looked since they were disconnected from reality. These losers are so preoccupied with looking like they don't care that it becomes a hideously obvious affectation.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 am

I am not concerned about where rock is, because I have never really been all that sure of what it is, or supposed to be. I just want to hear songs that I enjoy, and that is still happening.

I am a father of two as well. I don't have nearly as much time to chase after music, but I am still finding it despite having a very limited number of friends and acquaintances who share even a tiny portion of overlapping taste with me. Lately it's been getting a little more esoteric, but a song with a cool beat and/or melody will make me happy.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 am

Jaguar018 wrote:I am not concerned about where rock is, because I have never really been all that sure of what it is, or supposed to be. I just want to hear songs that I enjoy, and that is still happening.

I am a father of two as well. I don't have nearly as much time to chase after music, but I am still finding it despite having a very limited number of friends and acquaintances who share even a tiny portion of overlapping taste with me. Lately it's been getting a little more esoteric, but a song with a cool beat and/or melody will make me happy.
Same. I listen to KCRW (our local college radio station), and I make a point of going out and seeking new music, which I find all the time. I try not to let the mold set for too long before shaking it a bit more. The last thing I want is to be stuck in a certain era or time in my life, closed off to new music. There's tons of great music being made today, there's also tons of shit. Nothing new there. Actively being open to- and searching for- great new music is just as fun as it's always been for me. I love it.

[BTW, I'm not accusing anyone here of being 'stuck in a certain era', just saying I see it happen all the time. I'm sick of hearing 'they just don't make music like they used to...' I find that attitude to be lazy and pointless.]
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.