Everything that is wrong with rock and roll is right here.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Everything that is wrong with rock and roll is right here.

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 17, 2017 11:58 am

Fuck I hate the AV Clubs cover series, I've complained about it here before. At the time I said that it was always some boring and ironic cover by bearded metrosexuals (does anyone still use that phrase) that never actually "rocked" and was always worse than the original version.

A soy latte compared to a boilermaker, if you will.

And I knew better than to watch this... but I like the Sweet, and I like this song, and I thought, maybe, you know? Just maybe.

I was unprepared for the horror of:

http://www.avclub.com/video/close-talke ... run-254976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Everything that is wrong with rock and roll is right her

Post by spacecadet » Wed May 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Larry Mal wrote:Fuck I hate the AV Clubs cover series, I've complained about it here before. At the time I said that it was always some boring and ironic cover by bearded metrosexuals (does anyone still use that phrase)
I think the preferred term these days is "hipsters".

And yeah, boy does this suck.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Hipsters, right. Overdose of beards, irony and yet too much earnestness. Awful "artisanal rock".
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Why that's Chet Gosling, Ryan's younger, more kyphotic and emotionally intimate brother, on lead vocals. He's trying to make a connection. Break the fourth wall...

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed May 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Awful as it was, I'm much more offended by the fact there's an official Fender Jazzmaster (or any any Fender model, honestly) with a stop tail and TOM in the world.
Last edited by Telliot on Wed May 17, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed May 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm not watching that. I'm just here to point out that the original is perfect, and that the best possible cover was already done by the replacements on "shit hits the fans".
This is an excellent rectangle

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 17, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm no clicking it because every peep someone has posted from that AV club has scored at least a 'Two Princes' on the Teenage Dirtbag scale. It's the dog that's the problem not the fleas, that AV club is a world centre of college rock shite and if it was somehow reincarnated as a car it would be a P T Cruiser, since it possesses that same geriatric beige with fitted commode, supposedly masquerading as rocknroll.

One of my kids recently asked me how anyone could have cast the dreaded Flea in My Private Idaho, view the footage and not cut his gurning fuckwit face out of it. Whenever I've seen anything posted on the av club I've thought something similar, how can such a lame dudebro abomination be allowed to live.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

brucer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brucer » Wed May 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Whoa. That's really awful. Talk about turning a total gem into poo! Hmmm. @#$! What else can be said? Lumbersexuals should stay away from the Sweet.
Blank.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 17, 2017 6:56 pm

shadowplay wrote:I'm no clicking it because every peep someone has posted from that AV club has scored at least a 'Two Princes' on the Teenage Dirtbag scale.
It's far worse than "Two Princes", which is at least fun, lightweight, and upbeat.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed May 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Euuugh.

A couple of things on this:

I think the first season or so of this was really nice. Just some solid bands covering awesome old songs from the early Alterna-rock era. There's some real good stuff in there.

The problem was that they quickly ran out of bands that were competent enough to A.) Pull off the covers in the quick turnaround time required to do the videos and B.) Were good enough musicians to make it worthwhile. This problem was especially evident in the long run of mediocre vocalists who, let's face it, white guy indie rock isn't exactly killing the game on. It made it increasingly hard to watch and way less cute. Ugh.

Now, if they were actually interested in doing something with the concept and not just having GWAR roll up once a season to "Save the day", this is what I'd do:

Instead of picking old shit to revamp and feed the Cover Industrial Complex that has apparently gripped the music press, maybe something to do would be to pick the best pop hits and "album of the year" songs from the immediate previous year and have people come in and do them. This way you're at least trying to make some new classics and not just roll out more shitty Weezer covers and the like. I wouldn't mind seeing people try their hands at some Screaming Females, Mitski, etc.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 17, 2017 7:02 pm

Full disclosure: As a young man, but not really young enough to excuse it, I paid actual money to see the Spin Doctors, and while I was high and drunk there's no getting around:

I saw "Two Princes" live.

That's why if people say I get angry on here, you know what, you can well imagine, motherfucker. I have to live with that every day.

Anyway, here's the antidote to the awful lumbersexual bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jNt7ZGCW-o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full disclosure part 2:

The bassist in the Sweet video above has probably the only embarrassing haircut that I have not also had in the history of the world.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed May 17, 2017 7:22 pm

They all look like members of Spinal Tap.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 17, 2017 7:29 pm

You mean the Sweet? I'd say other way around, right?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed May 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Well, yeah...there must have been a decade between them, right?

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 pm

This seems like an SNL parody skit. I would like to point out that Ace Frehley covered this song and it rocked.