A.C. Marias...who likes them?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

A.C. Marias...who likes them?

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 11, 2017 5:00 am

Probably a controversial statement but I have definitely listened to more A.C. Marias since One of Our Girls came out than I've listened to Wire* and it's a huge record in the cursed House of Shadowplay and among my friends. I loved the original A.C. Marias single Drop that came out 5 years before Just Talk and I was really up for hearing new material but the album just hit that sweet spot for me and The Shivering Man which came out not long after Just Talk.

I think they've also become something of a influence on some of my favourite modern artists like Tarcar, Carla DalfornoandEctoplasm Girls.

If you don't know them check them out, if anything they fit better with now than they did even then, they are menthol cool.

whole elpee on Spotify

a selection of tracks on Soundcloud

One of Our Girls has Gone Missing video

And A.C. Marias on the Other SIde of Midnight doing Just Talk. and the video for the same song.

Some other Angela Conway involved peaches.

Bruce Gilbert - Eline Cout II

He Said - Pump (only backing vocals but such a great song)

P'o

So who likes A.C. Marias?

D

*Dome, Duet Emmo, He said, Cupol, P'o and Bruce Gilbert too
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu May 11, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: A.C. Marias...who likes them?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu May 11, 2017 5:22 am

I like them well enough, but I've only heard a fraction of their output. Generally speaking I've preferred Bruce Gilbert's output to sock-mouthed Lewis's and up till Not To would've rated Newman's solo LPs the overall winners. As a pop kid at heart, AC Marias is an easier casual listen than Gilbert's typical fare, but The Shivering Man clearly has its time and place too.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 11, 2017 5:37 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:I like them well enough, but I've only heard a fraction of their output. Generally speaking I've preferred Bruce Gilbert's output to sock-mouthed Lewis's and up till Not To would've rated Newman's solo LPs the overall winners. As a pop kid at heart, AC Marias is an easier casual listen than Gilbert's typical fare, but The Shivering Man clearly has its time and place too.
Agree on Gilbert, he's my favourite member of One Direction. His solo stuff just seems more progressive. Can't really blame Wire for going back to quite straight ahead guitar music a while back (they are very good at it) since it became clear that their legacy had become MOJOfied in a way that really surprised me. All through the 80's most folk I knew were following their new stuff and not really fetishising the first three.

I liked the Edvard Graham Lewis alubms that came out on Editions Mego the other year.

Btw Lewis' daughters music is excellent.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 am

oh damn, one of our girls used to be a favourite back in the day. thanks for the reminder!
Nobody exists on purpose.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 am

Like UlricvonCatalyst, I've only heard a very little of their recorded material, and most of that long after they'd folded. I like it quite well, too. Another positive vote, I guess.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."