Ancestral Voices

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Ancestral Voices

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 08, 2017 7:28 am

Anyone like Ancestral Voices? I've loved everything Liam Blackburn has put out under the name (previous forms were as Akkord and Indigo)during the past couple of years and just got the new Divination record (3X12). I adore the humid jungle temple feel and the future-primitivism that pervades the music and it often reminds me of a sort of bass music David Toop or Paul Schutze or a charred Fourth World step, with ritualistic beats like slapping on teak, prowling throat singing synths and loamy skulking riddums.

I think there's some crossover appeal here for folk who might not buy a lot of electronic music. Using the Boards of Canada scale scientists have recently devised to stratify such things, I'd score it a 7.

New Elpee; Ancestral Voices - Divination

First elpee -Ancestral Voices - Night Of Visons - possibly the best place to start if you don't know AV.

Two more beat driven but nonetheless superb 12's

Yantra

Old Earth Voodoo

Epic remixes

Ancestral Voices - "Sleepless Ritual" (Samuel Kerridge Remix)

Ancestral Voices - Invocations (Abdulla Rashim Remix)

Thoughts? Possibly a long shot but I thought The Dandelion Set and Alan Moore thread would fly more than die, so perhaps fortunes will be reversed and jungle tendrils will creep over whole cities.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ancestral Voices

Post by scottT » Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 am

shadowplay wrote: I adore the humid jungle temple feel and the future-primitivism that pervades the music and it often reminds me of a sort of bass music David Toop or Paul Schutze or a charred Fourth World step, with ritualistic beats like slapping on teak, prowling throat singing synths and loamy skulking riddums.

I think there's some crossover appeal here for folk who might not buy a lot of electronic music.
I agree. Very accessible. Your description is right on. "Geomancy" sounds like a hazy, electronic Les Baxter recording as picked up and re-transmitted through the beeping of an orbiting satellite. This will make a great addition to my modest but growing collection of ambient/drone electronic music.

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Mon May 15, 2017 2:49 am

shadowplay wrote:Using the Boards of Canada scale scientists have recently devised to stratify such things, I'd score it a 7.
:D

I've enjoyed the odd track of his before, but soon forgot about them as with most things that disappear in the bottomless pits of my youtube playlists, only to be reviewed half a year later.

I've listened to divination in full a few times prior to dozing off in the last few days. It's brilliantly produced and i love the vision of it. It aligns very well with the sort of post-anthropocene dreams I have, built environment devoured by nature, détourné'ed pagan beton brut temples et cetera. I'm not well versed in this sort of music, but it reminds me of a much more unsettling Voices from the Lake.

The Dandelion Set and Alan Moore thread went past me unnoticed, I'll look into it later, thank you.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 15, 2017 3:16 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
I've listened to divination in full a few times prior to dozing off in the last few days. It's brilliantly produced and i love the vision of it. It aligns very well with the sort of post-anthropocene dreams I have, built environment devoured by nature, détourné'ed pagan beton brut temples et cetera. I'm not well versed in this sort of music, but it reminds me of a much more unsettling Voices from the Lake.

The Dandelion Set and Alan Moore thread went past me unnoticed, I'll look into it later, thank you.
Yeah, the whole Drowned World end of things. I've long had a thing for music that sits in an imaginary world of future primitism, I guess going right back to buying my first Jon Hassell but ramped up through the 80's with music like Clock DVA splinter T.A.G.C which lashed ethno philosphy and occult ideas to technology and also Zamia Lehmanni: Songs of Byzantine Flowers which I consider one of the best records ever.

I like Voices of the Lake too.
scottT wrote:
I agree. Very accessible. Your description is right on. "Geomancy" sounds like a hazy, electronic Les Baxter recording as picked up and re-transmitted through the beeping of an orbiting satellite. This will make a great addition to my modest but growing collection of ambient/drone electronic music.
Glad you like it Scott, that's an interesting idea.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon May 15, 2017 5:14 pm

shadowplay wrote: I like Voices of the Lake too.
I picked up the live VotL album I think you guys were talking about a while back, with the concrete architecture pic. It's great.

Will look at getting this as well. Good times for ambient music right now.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue May 16, 2017 4:56 am

Enjoying this, thanks David. Like a darker, more intense Forest Swords.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Really worth it in my opinion, it's really special and clever record that walks the lone between Prog and Pram.
mijmog wrote:Enjoying this, thanks David. Like a darker, more intense Forest Swords.
Yeah I can see that. This record really make me feel like I'm in my own film, exploring a cavernous obsidian futureprimitive temple in some distant forest world. It's properly immersive and epic.

D