Eight months later ("Four hours, three chords, no waiting")

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
optofonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Eight months later ("Four hours, three chords, no waiting")

Post by optofonik » Sat May 06, 2017 9:53 am

https://soundcloud.com/mickdavies/every ... ough-mix-2

This is it for the music. The bridge is done. What were the scratch vocals are going to stay, I like the mistakes. The rough mix will stand until I decide to come back to it (or someone foolishly wants to license it). For my purposes, it is, for the moment, done.

Of specific relevance to OSG is that the rhythm guitar tracks are a Squier VM Jaguar with stock pickups. The lead guitar track is the same Jag after I installed Fender Pure Vintage '65 Jaguar Pickup to replace the Duncan Designed pickups. The bridge guitar tracks are all using a stock Squier VM Jazzmaster.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Here's some "liner notes" for any novices who are interested...

I've worked with it a few days here and there for the past eight months. The sessions totaled about four weeks including researching the material for the bridge.

Writing sessions are the most drawn out because I'm not terribly good at instruments outside of voice so it takes me longer to find what fits than it does a seasoned performer. Once I find what fits I have to practice over and over before recording it, sometimes for a couple of days. Again, it takes me longer than a seasoned instrumentalist (to be clear any trained vocalist knows that voice is an "instrument" so I''m talking about the kind one plays using ones hands in some way or another). When writing a guitar or bass part, for example, I usually end up having to learn some new technique in order to accomplish playing the part, especially if something interesting happens by accident, something I'm not practiced at. When that happens I usually have to spend hours (or days) learning how to consciously perform the "accident".

Drums take the longest I think because I'm having to write and track them "by hand". I use two excellent programs that are, I think, as good as it gets without a real drummer. As good as they are, however, it is still an arduous task that can take several 12+ hour days. I fell asleep in my chair after about 20 hours during one drum writing session. A days like that impresses upon one to be mindful that creativity becomes a victim to diminishing returns at a certain point; technical capabilities take a hit as well. I would much prefer a real drummer.

The vocals are easier for me because that's what I was trained in. I record scratch tracks as I write the lyrics. In this case it was around 3am so I was forced to keep it hushed to avoid having that cops called for letting loose on anything. After an already long day I was half asleep anyway so belting anything out probably wouldn't have been in the cards anyway. The following day I planned to record a “proper” scratch vocal track but I liked how the restrained scratch vocal sounded. I practiced different phrasings in that “hushed” style but ended up liking the scratch track better, warts and all; better than any of the stuff I was doing wide awake in the middle of the afternoon.

Once a new part is recorded I live with it for a few days or weeks. If I can listen to it over and over in my car on on the rush hour commute from the L.A. foothills to, say Manhattan Beach, and not hate it I'll decide to write the next part and track it. Early on there were two synth parts in the bridge that didn't survive the drive.

I started writing the song shortly after an old friend and former bandmate, a guitarist passed away. For a time we were like brothers and, although we kept in touch, we hadn't spent anytime together in years. We had been planning our reunion but about a month before it was to take place he died unexpectedly. I felt I wanted to learn how to play guitar o honer his memory.

If I had to guess the total hours from inspiration to where it's at now it would probably work about to be about 160. I'm pleased that I decided to keep at it. The song progressed as the presidential campaigns were coming to a close, the election finished, and the new administration took office. I was really distressed (like many) by the circumstances surrounding the outcome as much as the outcome itself. Writing and recording, "Everything Is Going Strange", has been a healthy way to channel my feelings and deal with the stress; as songwriting does for many. I'm glad I was able to channel the negative energy into something positive and get it out of my system.

ImageSoundcloud - Everything Is Going Strange by M. D., on Flickr
Last edited by optofonik on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Eight months later ("Four hours, three chords, no waitin

Post by Larry Mal » Sat May 06, 2017 10:13 am

Your link isn't working... keep an eye on that with this site, it attempts to shorten the URLs and usually just renders it useless.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 am

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

optofonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by optofonik » Sat May 06, 2017 10:46 am

Larry Mal wrote:Your link isn't working... keep an eye on that with this site, it attempts to shorten the URLs and usually just renders it useless.
Thanks!

optofonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by optofonik » Sat May 06, 2017 10:47 am

And thank you as well, that was very nice of you. I copied this and put the "url" brackets around it.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sat May 06, 2017 10:54 am

optofonik wrote:

And thank you as well, that was very nice of you. I copied this and put the "url" brackets around it.
you're welcome! i enjoyed the song.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

optofonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by optofonik » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:28 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Like that

Congratulations, well done.

:)

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:49 am

Given how limited you say your guitar playing is, you've made a damn fine noise there. I like the fact that it's relatively free of embellishments, that suits the theme of the song I think.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

optofonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Eight months later ("Four hours, three chords, no waiting")

Post by optofonik » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:37 am