Rig Rundown: Warpaint

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rig Rundown: Warpaint

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 pm

If OSG has tort me anything...

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rig Rundown: Warpaint

Post by soggy mittens » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:01 am

That John guy sure makes it painful and a trying experience to watch these videos tbh. :fp:

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:49 am

I thought he was fine, i've seen worse. He mostly let the band members speak for themselves and i'll take that over a host who constantly injects his own opinions into the topic. Only dissapointing element was the fact that Jenny Lee wasen't there.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:15 am

He irks me also. His incessant yeahing is like nails on a chalkboard. He isn't a bad interviewer but his banter is poo.
This is an excellent rectangle

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:07 am

Had to stop once she started singing the praises of a mastery bridge (and tremolo) over the standard.
Yeeeeaaaahhhhh!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 am

mackerelmint wrote: He isn't a bad interviewer but his banter is poo.
Aren't they both crucial aspects of being a decent interviewer? This is pretty much my problem with so much internet video content, the bar is so fucking low because folk will apparently watch anything that's free and the bar for guitar related content is so low even that Chapman character has a following. I find those rig rundowns actually fucking painful, it's sub man on the street level. Maybe it's harsh but you'd think that holding a mike would attract silver tongued patter merchants with knowledge to spare and not folk that um and arr a lot and look like they've never held a microphone in their puff.

However, rigrundown could never ever be as bad as those plums that deliver cack handed and clueless 'reviews' of records to camera. :fp:

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:05 am

sammynb wrote:Had to stop once she started singing the praises of a mastery bridge (and tremolo) over the standard.
Yeeeeaaaahhhhh!
that was the straw that broke me and took away any guilt i might feel for posting a slagging comment about him. to say it was something they got wrong with the offset bridge/tremolo design from the start is fuking painfully ignorant. If I were his employer and had a shred of knowledge it would be enough for me to bench him.

Also when he segwayed into Theresa's pedal board after talking about her guitar for a whole two seconds, fuk off. Someone fire this jackass already ffs. :fp:

Saying all this Warpaint sound more like they like nice gear because it's good and not so much into knowing about it. Still love me some Warpaint though and enjoyed seeing them talk about their gear. :P

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 am

sammynb wrote:Had to stop once she started singing the praises of a mastery bridge (and tremolo) over the standard.
Yeeeeaaaahhhhh!
What's wrong with her preferring the Mastery bridge and trem over the originals?

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:42 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Yeeeeaaaahhhhh!
that was the straw that broke me and took away any guilt i might feel for posting a slagging comment about him. to say it was something they got wrong with the offset bridge/tremolo design from the start is fuking painfully ignorant. If I were his employer and had a shred of knowledge it would be enough for me to bench him.

Also when he segwayed into Theresa's pedal board after talking about her guitar for a whole two seconds, fuk off. Someone fire this jackass already ffs.

Saying all this Warpaint sound more like they like nice gear because it's good and not so much into knowing about it. Still love me some Warpaint though and enjoyed seeing them talk about their gear.
I like Warpaint, I like rigs, but even primed with the comments here about the interviewer's er...style(?) I made it about two minutes in before it was more run away than run down. Seriously, you'd think they could find someone who has a vocabulary expanded beyond "oooooooooowwsome" "wooooow" and "chyeah"

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 am

nanamour wrote:it was more run away than run down.
nice

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:44 am

thegumbootman wrote:
Yeeeeaaaahhhhh!
What's wrong with her preferring the Mastery bridge and trem over the originals?
Exactly, I prefer my Mastery bridge over the original, I'm pretty sure that doesn't make me a bad person. So do a significant number of offset players. I know how to set up the standard bridge too.

Standard trem is fine mind - nothing wrong with a Mastery trem, but I can think of better ways of spending the money.

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:12 pm

NickD wrote:
thegumbootman wrote:What's wrong with her preferring the Mastery bridge and trem over the originals?
Exactly, I prefer my Mastery bridge over the original, I'm pretty sure that doesn't make me a bad person. So do a significant number of offset players. I know how to set up the standard bridge too.

Standard trem is fine mind - nothing wrong with a Mastery trem, but I can think of better ways of spending the money.
For me it's like taking your original Dino 308 GT4 diff out and replacing it with a Ford 9" because someone told you it was stronger.
It each their own but as Soggy said it was made worse by the interviewer's response.

Mastery or not, I'm not a fan of Warpaint but I'm looking forward to seeing Stella drum for Kurt Vile next week.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:46 pm

sammynb wrote:For me it's like taking your original Dino 308 GT4 diff out and replacing it with a Ford 9" because someone told you it was stronger.
Except with 10 minutes and a screwdriver you can put that guitar back to stock with no loss in value. It's really not the same comparison at all, and I don't understand the problem here.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Yeah, I can't fault anyone for having preferences in equipment and then stating them in an interview about what and why and how they use that stuff to play.

I can sure as shit fault someone for sounding like a braying ass the entire time they interview someone, though. Man, I can't stand that guy. :squint:

If Rebecca Dierks left because she was tired of the "I'd fuck her" comments, maybe this guy will leave if enough women spam his rig reviews with "I wouldn't fuck him with a borrowed cunt" comments.
This is an excellent rectangle

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:25 pm

sammynb wrote:
NickD wrote:
thegumbootman wrote:What's wrong with her preferring the Mastery bridge and trem over the originals?

For me it's like taking your original Dino 308 GT4 diff out and replacing it with a Ford 9" because someone told you it was stronger.
It each their own but as Soggy said it was made worse by the interviewer's response.

Mastery or not, I'm not a fan of Warpaint but I'm looking forward to seeing Stella drum for Kurt Vile next week.
It's not as extreme as that. And a Dino diff is not a pita to set up with some acknowledged design flaws.

But back on to the interviewer - I didnt mind the interviewing style of the girl who used to do them, but the guy is terrible - so much so that I haven't watched one in ages and won't watch this.