Kosmischer Läufer...GDR...Olympic...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: Kosmischer Läufer...GDR...Olympic...

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:34 am

Thanks for the heads-up.

I remember listening to it when it came out!
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... c#p1012057" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:46 am

mackerelmint wrote: Part of my own fascination is rooted in hearing the DDR's ace national anthem at the olympics when I was a kid, part is just straight up awe at how fucking good the STASI were at what they did. As a professional, I have to tip my hat. I've also got a lifelong love of communist propaganda art. There's just so much there to enjoy.
Quoted for fact! I've a friend with relatives who were in the Stasi and they even went after their own relatives. There's also the genuine horror of what they did to their female athletes in particular and the records that still stand today, it's horrific but also fascinating.

You might be interested in the Soviet Bus Stops, either the book or I guess you might be able to find a lot of the photos in an image search.

I never went to the GDR but I went to the Soviet Union in the early 80's 'representing' my school at chess and I was roundly thrashed by young Russia and was once humiliated by a child who could barely see over the table. I left all my tapes with my new comrades, who no doubt taped over them, though I have often wondered if someone actually listened to the tapes and formed the coldest of coldwave (coldwarwave) bands using homemade synths made out of military surplus, instead of overdubbing them with Queen. I also left some clothes and stuff, mainly because my mum worked for Levi and it was easy come and easy go. I was also left with a bit of a life long love for Ballet, they took us to the Bolshoi and we got a tour and I'd never been to anything like it and I still go a few times a year but never seem to match those memories. All my kids dance but none of them fancied being a prima and it's a pretty hard life.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:58 am

Well I have to say thanks @shadowplay for making me aware of these albums. I'm really enjoying them. In fact I haven't listened to a guitar-based record for the last couple of days as a result. I'm really getting back into the elektronik.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:15 am

shadowplay wrote:
mackerelmint wrote: Part of my own fascination is rooted in hearing the DDR's ace national anthem at the olympics when I was a kid, part is just straight up awe at how fucking good the STASI were at what they did. As a professional, I have to tip my hat. I've also got a lifelong love of communist propaganda art. There's just so much there to enjoy.
Quoted for fact! I've a friend with relatives who were in the Stasi and they even went after their own relatives. There's also the genuine horror of what they did to their female athletes in particular and the records that still stand today, it's horrific but also fascinating.

You might be interested in the Soviet Bus Stops, either the book or I guess you might be able to find a lot of the photos in an image search.

I never went to the GDR but I went to the Soviet Union in the early 80's 'representing' my school at chess and I was roundly thrashed by young Russia and was once humiliated by a child who could barely see over the table. I left all my tapes with my new comrades, who no doubt taped over them, though I have often wondered if someone actually listened to the tapes and formed the coldest of coldwave (coldwarwave) bands using homemade synths made out of military surplus, instead of overdubbing them with Queen. I also left some clothes and stuff, mainly because my mum worked for Levi and it was easy come and easy go. I was also left with a bit of a life long love for Ballet, they took us to the Bolshoi and we got a tour and I'd never been to anything like it and I still go a few times a year but never seem to match those memories. All my kids dance but none of them fancied being a prima and it's a pretty hard life.

D
I also think that being born and spending much of my childhood Russia-adjacent in what used to be Russia, living in the ominous shadow of the USSR, as it were, gave the eastern bloc license to capture my imagination from a young age. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't nostalgic for the cold war days in a strange way. I've studied Russian and German in addition to Chinese... I speak commie, as it were. I even focused a good part of my study of economics on the soviet and chinese models, and their transitions to good ole capitalism. I'm not much for collecting physical stuff, but I've kind of decided that at some point in the near future when it's more feasible, I'm going to start collecting STASI things. I have some soviet propaganda posters, but there are a handful of space program posters I have decided are necessary, and a good STASI emblem up on the living room wall needs to happen as well. It's a shame I never had the chance to go to the ol' USSR myself when it existed, but you can bet that Transnistria is up toward the top of my list of places to go.
This is an excellent rectangle

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:19 am

Btw FYI Kosmischer Läufer - Volume Four came out a few months ago and I was reminded to post about it when playing it this morning.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 am

This is all very cool, thanks for the rabbit hole! ::) ;D
Watching the corners turn corners

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:22 am
Yeah, I was checking them out and I was a little sad that there are no women's shirts, just shapeless men's ones.
Apparently you have forgotten one of the major themes of the DDR's quest for Olympic glory. :ph34r:

Really good music!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm
Apparently you have forgotten one of the major themes of the DDR's quest for Olympic glory. :ph34r:
That's tasteless. But funny... :D
This is an excellent rectangle