Hate a band? Let's talk about it.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hate a band? Let's talk about it.

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:21 am

mackerelmint wrote:I love Macca, it's Lennon I loathe.
This. Macca probably had the most versatile voice. Imagine George singing Helter Skelter.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:02 am

budda12ax7 wrote:Sonic youth spin off bands....I can listen to Dust, but the others??
I'm so sad to say this, but I have to agree. I would say Sonic Youth is the most important band for me, it's the band I respect the most, it's what made me pick up the guitar, they're absolute legends together. I was always more of a Thurston guy, but Lee and the Dust are amazing and I can't give a shit about Chelsea Light Moving.

Heard that Kim Gordon is doing a show in Brazil with her project... went listen to the songs on YouTube, dear god... felt bad for her.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:15 am

Francer wrote:
MechaBulletBill wrote:Some of my posts here are in the vein of "this thing everyone thinks is hot shit is actually just shit" but I don't see a reason not to continue.

Savages are terrible. They're like a shitty local band at a shitty venue that you have to sit through before your mate's band. Jenny Beth is a bullshit Siouxsie impression dressed like Annie Lennox. The guitarist said in an interview that she only started learning just as the band happened and it really shows. That's not a musician, that's a fucking poser.
Hmmmm ... I'll be seeing them play live soon, but i must admit I'm not too sure about them. I think there's real shortage of decent guitar bands around at the moment - Norwich is a fucking desert in that respect. It's all quavery X-factor voiced solo singers, i guess at least the Savages are trying to be different to what's around at the moment, if not what's gone before, so we perhaps shouldn't shoot them down too quickly, you never know they might turn out something great in the future.
Well, I saw them in Norwich last night and I have to credit them, they are a great live band, really enjoyed the gig. Sad to see the venue (UEA LCR) was nowhere near full capacity, I guess they're not as popular as I expected. Given their current profile I had expected a bigger turnout.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:57 pm

i often see hatelists containing a few bands that made one or two good, or even amazing album then went REALLY bad. Feel like the following list may sum that up:

Arcade Fire
Interpol
Elbow
Sigur Rós
The Strokes
Spiritualized
Mogwai
Ride
Echo and the Bunnymen

feel free to add. The fact is that its usually the REALLY bad overplayed stuff that people know and i feel they misjudge.
(or maybe i just have bad taste, that said i probably wouldn't put on any of these on CD nowadays and not feel like i'm missing out on some better music instead, just that some were ok, maybe innovative, and good for a little while at the time compared to their later shite)

**Oh, and i almost forgot the bonus band: PINK FLOYD (....ooohhhh....its true though)

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:04 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
eggwheat wrote:Hard to think of a band I actually 'hate'...I'd have to think of a band that have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.. Nickleback immediately spring to mind..
it's weird. i dislike nickleback but if i'm being honest, i never got the hate. so the dude sounds like he's chewing a whole mars bar while trying to sing lyrics written by a 14 year old who desperately needs medicated and 90% of their songs follow the same structure. wait, what am i talking about. THEY SUCK. THEY PUT EMG'S IN A JAGUAR

I dunno, i feel like that hate is all because of the overplaying, like we are forced to listen....

....but nope, on second consideration, if i heard them busking very briefly for about 30 seconds and they weren't famous, not even famous enough to play inside a building, I may still be talking about how bad they were 15 years later.

But to another point, didn't they disappear like a decade ago or did i build up some kind of abscence seizure immune response to hearing their music?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:57 am

mackerelmint wrote:I love Macca, it's Lennon I loathe.
I was once unfortunate enough to encounter the head of Levis (this guy) he was ranting on about Lennon and fucking Bob Dylan, like it was still the 60's and he asked my pal who was close to shivving him; 'which of Lennon's big ideas mean most to you?' My mate stared mr presentation down and said 'proletarian revolution'. :D

I encounter guys like him all the time they are the self styled cool dads, who are in fact really fucking uncool.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:17 am

^^^

That guy looks like he got dressed in the garbage, my sleepwear is more put together than that slob is when he's trying to impress people. I realize that he's a denim kingpin, but he's speaking in public for god's sake. He couldn't even bother to drag a razor across his face.

Which is what John Lennon gets you. I wonder if somehow, he's responsible for the sartorial unkemptness of the last half century. I don't like him anyway, so I'll just go ahead and blame him. John Lennon is why people dress like reprobates.
This is an excellent rectangle

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:26 am

mackerelmint wrote:^^^

That guy looks like he got dressed in the garbage, my sleepwear is more put together than that slob is when he's trying to impress people. I realize that he's a denim kingpin, but he's speaking in public for god's sake. He couldn't even bother to drag a razor across his face.
We're like; 'make jeans like you used to (possibly still a low bar compared to the Japanese) and work from there'. He's like; 'let's talk about some classic rockers I've only a third hand experience of'.

OK I have an exceptionally low tolerance of the still ridiculous over-coverage and merchandising of the Rock of Ages but spare me it while I'm working at least.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:33 am

Btw I get some of the band hate here but who is actually bothered by Nickelback in their daily life? I'm fairly sure I've not heard them since they had that 'bottom of the bottle' song out. Where would you have to go to hear Nickelback?

I actually thought The Dave Matthews Band was a fictional band on Parks and Recreation.

I said I'm not joining in but this ( The Neal Morse Band 2016 "The Similitude of a Dream" ) came on as a yootoob roll on when I was posting a Imahran link and I can honestly say very little has made me want to put my boot through the screen more. I don't so much hate it as pity the folk who like it. That looks to be a private house, talk about neighbours from hell!

D

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:43 am

uggghhhhhhh everything from the last two posts is terrible
This is an excellent rectangle

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:09 pm

shadowplay wrote: We're like; 'make jeans like you used to (possibly still a low bar compared to the Japanese) and work from there'. He's like; 'let's talk about some classic rockers I've only a third hand experience of'.
Have you watched the TEDx talk you linked to? It's like a masterclass in drivel. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure shows more political and historical insight than this guy.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:38 pm

mezcalhead wrote:
shadowplay wrote: We're like; 'make jeans like you used to (possibly still a low bar compared to the Japanese) and work from there'. He's like; 'let's talk about some classic rockers I've only a third hand experience of'.
Have you watched the TEDx talk you linked to? It's like a masterclass in drivel. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure shows more political and historical insight than this guy.
Is it the one where he claps like Bono? Sometimes it's weird dealing with folk you think must be much older than you but who are actually not far from the same age. I guess he's successful and I'm not , so what do I know?

D

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:37 pm

jorri wrote:
s_mcsleazy wrote:
eggwheat wrote:Hard to think of a band I actually 'hate'...I'd have to think of a band that have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.. Nickleback immediately spring to mind..
it's weird. i dislike nickleback but if i'm being honest, i never got the hate. so the dude sounds like he's chewing a whole mars bar while trying to sing lyrics written by a 14 year old who desperately needs medicated and 90% of their songs follow the same structure. wait, what am i talking about. THEY SUCK. THEY PUT EMG'S IN A JAGUAR

I dunno, i feel like that hate is all because of the overplaying, like we are forced to listen....

....but nope, on second consideration, if i heard them busking very briefly for about 30 seconds and they weren't famous, not even famous enough to play inside a building, I may still be talking about how bad they were 15 years later.

But to another point, didn't they disappear like a decade ago or did i build up some kind of abscence seizure immune response to hearing their music?
Truth. I remember seeing Nickelback in the late 90's opening for other bands in Canada. They sucked as an unsigned opener back then, and I've been dumbfounded for close to 20 years as they just kept getting bigger, and worse.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:01 am

shadowplay wrote: Is it the one where he claps like Bono? Sometimes it's weird dealing with folk you think must be much older than you but who are actually not far from the same age. I guess he's successful and I'm not , so what do I know?
I had a similar thought while watching; that any opinion of mine would be discarded as irrelevant since he's immeasurably richer than I am. But good god, the utter rubbish he was talking, bringing up historical figures like Shakespeare with clearly not the faintest grasp on their significance.

Like, here's a guy who claims to be a massive Beatles fan and he labels them as successful because "they were doing the opposite of what everybody else was doing; everyone had short hair so they grew long hair, everyone played that kind of music so they played this kind of music" which totally misses the entire point that the Beatles were deliberately building on Presley, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Motown, etc. in search of their own sound, rather than trying to smash everything like punk.

Then he starts waffling on about moving from the unknown to the known and and what point did they become known and there are real English words coming out of his mouth in recognisably grammatical forms and yet there is no content there, not a single useful thought.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:32 pm

mezcalhead wrote:there are real English words coming out of his mouth in recognisably grammatical forms and yet there is no content there, not a single useful thought.
That's the secret sauce to succeeding in corporate 'management' right there...
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.