Vanishing Twin - Choose Your Own Adventure

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vanishing Twin - Choose Your Own Adventure

Post by daemon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 am

Wow, lovely stuff. Some great influences here without sounding contrived. Have to see if my new local shop can get a hold of this.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:48 am

daemon wrote:Wow, lovely stuff. Some great influences here without sounding contrived. Have to see if my new local shop can get a hold of this.
Cool, they are great band and it's worth looking up the pre name change Orlando.

You might also enjoy The Heliocentrics new record which was hatched under the brood patch of the same producer.

I also super recommend TOMAGA who are the main project of Vanishing Twin drummer Valentina Magaletti. Their last EP Greetings From The Bitter End was incredible, as was their last elpee The Shape of the Dance.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:07 pm

shadowplay wrote: Cool, they are great band and it's worth looking up the pre name change Orlando.

You might also enjoy The Heliocentrics new record which was hatched under the brood patch of the same producer.

I also super recommend TOMAGA who are the main project of Vanishing Twin drummer Valentina Magaletti. Their last EP Greetings From The Bitter End was incredible, as was their last elpee The Shape of the Dance.

D
Duly noted, I'll seek those out as well. Ever since Trish from Broadcast died I've felt a void, so it's good to see others carrying the same torch.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:26 am

daemon wrote:
Duly noted, I'll seek those out as well. Ever since Trish from Broadcast died I've felt a void, so it's good to see others carrying the same torch.
I should probably start a thread on this but pretty much everything I'd put in it has already been posted by me already. Of course there's no direct replacement but there's a mass of kindred spirits, cadres and bands that came up inspired by the light Trish and James' shone on some lesser known acts and genres.

D

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:10 am

Late to the party here, but this sounds stunning. Lovely stuff, thanks for posting!
Watching the corners turn corners

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:59 pm

I like it! But I can't decide whether I truly like it, or whether I just liked Stereolab a lot 20 years ago and it reminds me of that.

Addy Bart
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Addy Bart » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:34 am

This is all right up my street so cheers for the heads up.
I remember watching Valentina play with Econoline when I was still living in London. Amazing drummer.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:00 am

shadowplay wrote:
daemon wrote:
I should probably start a thread on this but pretty much everything I'd put in it has already been posted by me already. Of course there's no direct replacement but there's a mass of kindred spirits, cadres and bands that came up inspired by the light Trish and James' shone on some lesser known acts and genres.

D
Please do! I think it was Mark who recommended Broadcast to me a few months back, and I've got their big 3 (haven't checked out their split albums), and I can't get enough. They're like Raveonettes for me in that they sound like an alternate version of a past era, something that's so familiar, yet never actually was. Anything like those bands, I'd personally be very interested in.

Side note: I need to frequent the Music subsection more often.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

jamietay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jamietay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:29 pm

excellent, very engaging!
can i scream?

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:22 am

I'm glad someone reanimated this thread and I got to belatedly discover this band. Currently streaming the Youtube yet again and looking forward to spinning the black circle when it arrives.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:17 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote: Please do! I think it was Mark who recommended Broadcast to me a few months back, and I've got their big 3 (haven't checked out their split albums), and I can't get enough. They're like Raveonettes for me in that they sound like an alternate version of a past era, something that's so familiar, yet never actually was. Anything like those bands, I'd personally be very interested in.

Side note: I need to frequent the Music subsection more often.
I think it was in the Jane Weaver thread.

I'll put some thought into doing a thread, need to establish some terms of reference that are neither too anchored, nor too unmoored and decide how many examples to post.

To be honest I worry it's stuck on to be a total waste of time, since I'll post very few bands that I've not posted already to no comment.

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:35 am

shadowplay wrote:
To be honest I worry it's stuck on to be a total waste of time, since I'll post very few bands that I've not posted already to no comment.

D
Maybe a compilation thread will be busier - I find on some of the single posts I will have bought something a couple of weeks later and the post has dropped way down. and I don't end up replying. It might encourage a wider group of posters to respond too, rather than the more limited cohort that do generally.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:23 am

NickD wrote:
shadowplay wrote:

D
Maybe a compilation thread will be busier - I find on some of the single posts I will have bought something a couple of weeks later and the post has dropped way down. and I don't end up replying. It might encourage a wider group of posters to respond too, rather than the more limited cohort that do generally.
Aye, I'd probably do that, I've got a long list of thirty for starters roughed out. I'll try and stick to more song based acts and perhaps give kindred labels their own entry and not cover the individual bands. Then there's the problem with kindred spirits who have similar ideas but not similar sounds like Moon Wiring Club and I guess that's another thread altogether, since once you go down that road you are heading to a fork with Boards of Canada highway and on into the more Super 8 goes VHS side of things.

Ideally I'd like to learn something myself or at least get a discussion going, the Forest Psyche thread was an example of a fantastic thread in music, filled with great posts by mijmog and nanamour, something I'd love to repeat, even if it's pretty unlikely.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:38 am

Btw, really glad there's interest in this band. I've just played the album, the EP and the Orlando Music for Video Games record and I just don't get sick of them. I think they totally rise above any casual comparisons, really feel like their own thing but at the same time I've lost count of the amount of records I went back to after playing the album, most recently Laika - Silver Apples of the Moon which you can youtube or Spotify if you care to.

Laika won't be in the list I'm doing, they fall outside the terms of reference and yet I think they are relevant.

D

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:11 am

still loving the vanishing twin record
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.