Faten Kanaan

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Faten Kanaan

Post by shadowplay » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:35 am

Her new vinyl only elpee; 'The Botanist and The Archaeologist' just arrived at House of Shadowplay (from the most excellent Polytechnic Youth* priced to sell at £11.99 :) ) this morning and I think it's time we tried to get a thread going on her before they all sell out (300 total with an A5 Cyanotype print unique to each copy). There's been a buzz building around her for a while and her record has not disappointed.

Listening I can imagine fragrant recitals in futurist drawing rooms. Her music evoking a stately minimal wave that's almost got an Emerald Web style classical twist to it (classical futurism?) and her voice has that hymnal head girl thing going that cordons of the rawk and hooks me deeply. I've seen her compared to Broadcast which is slightly awry but I think Broadcast fans might like her.

Only two tracks to check out until Juno get their copy and put up store samples.

Faten Kanaan - Viriditas

Faten Kanaan - Spy Films

She also got an excellent EP/tape and the odd stray track on her bandcamp

Some blurb to fill out the picture;

Next up on Polytechnic Youth is the beautiful debut full length from Brooklyn-based Faten Kanaan.
Following a hugely acclaimed cassette release (“EP”), Faten’s music was pointed the direction of PY by Listening Center’s David Mason (a PY label mate, who also mixed this record) and like many people, we loved it instantly.

Faten uses vintage synthesizers to slowly build songs inspired by cinematic forms: from sweeping landscapes and quiet love stories, to the patterned tension of 1970s horror film soundtracks. Focusing on bringing a human touch to electronic music that highlights the relationship between man, nature, and machine: the drifting of time, the dystopic grittiness, and the bittersweet (but hopeful) sense of nostalgia.

Here is what others have said about Faten’s music:

‘Noisey’ (Vice), written by Zachary Lipez

It's a subtle sound that could easily fade into the background in less capable hands, but Kanaan is working ably within a tradition that encompasses both early synth visionaries and Stereolab or Broadcast, so the hits, as it were, keep coming.

“When I was a teen I didn't know what sequencers and arpeggiators were, so I thought industrial/no wave music synth parts were all played manually,” she says. “I liked that music and taught myself to play like that, relying on classical techniques. I don't use any sequencers nor arpeggiators, I play all the parts by hand and loop them live”.

‘The Active Listener‘, written by Nathan Ford

It's refreshing to hear a female voice in a genre almost exclusively populated by men since the loss of Trish Keenan and with Faten Kanaan we may have found a worthy successor. Like the best Broadcast works, the pieces found here are much more than the mood-pieces proffered by most Hauntologists. Kanaan understands that the medium is a suitable springboard for much more than moodsetting and Radiophonic nostalgia, although both of those boxes are ticked here too.

All in all, “The Botanist & The Archaeologist” fits the proverbial “stunning debut album” billing. A beautiful record, containing an evolving array of styles and textures. It is equally pleasing on the eye, gorgeous sleeve art with a -unique to each copy- hand crafted (by Faten herself) Cyanotype print. Lovely stuff in special packaging….

Available 1st week of September.

D

*Dom also runs The Great Pop Supplement and Deep Distance labels,
Are you loathsome tonight?

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Faten Kanaan

Post by nanamour » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:16 pm

This is making big waves at the Nanamour manor, her VCO-FutureFugue minimal wave thing really hits home for me--I almost feel like I should be donning a powdered wig when listening. Like you put it, stately is a perfect way of summing it up...the Spy Films visual fits the music to a T.

I thought the album sounded more Baroque than Broadcast, but I think it might have some crossover appeal for the folks raving about the Stranger Things soundtrack even if it somehow manages to sound more nostalgic for the 1780s or 2080s than 1980s ;)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:52 pm

nanamour wrote:I almost feel like I should be donning a powdered wig when listening
:D Has anyone seen my breeches and stockings?

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:36 am

The digital is now out in the wild on her Bandcamp if anyone is interested. Right up there with the best of 2016 IMO.

D

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:26 pm

I am really digging this! The earlier releases are great too.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:18 am

I listened to this record when this thread was first posted a few months ago and did not like it. Since I had nothing good to say I stayed quiet.

Since she popped up again in the best albums of the year thread I thought I'd give it another try and I am really, really liking it? Not sure what changed. The mood is fantastic, with little melodies hidden all over the place. I am on my fourth listen all the way through. The Broadcast comparison (the reason I checked it in the first place) is completely off imo, and maybe that's why my first try was unsuccessful as I was primed for something that this is definitely not.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:36 am

shadowplay wrote:
nanamour wrote:I almost feel like I should be donning a powdered wig when listening
Has anyone seen my breeches and stockings?

D
:fp: Listening in battered work t-shirt and trackies, but the effect is not lost on me. Lovely stuff. :-*
Watching the corners turn corners

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 am

antisymmetric wrote: Listening in battered work t-shirt and trackies, but the effect is not lost on me. Lovely stuff.
:D

There's a collaboration with Pye Corner Audio coming down the pipe and a new album slated for release over the next couple of months. I really can't wait.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:27 am

The Pye Corner Audio/ Faten Kanaan sevenon Polytechnic Youth is up for pre-order a few places ( RT, Piccadillyand more). Was supposed to be available direct from Polytechnic Youth but they have all gone to shops, however 250 clear will be available direct in a few weeks if you miss this IIRC.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 am

New album Pleiade Hex 6 is out on the most exhaulted Polytechnic Youth imprint.
Faten Kanaan wrote:TPleiade Hex 6 is comprised of mostly instrumental 'suites' that are narrative in nature.
Cyclical patterns are central to the compositions: exploring harmony and counterpoint as they ebb & are reincarnated, shadows cast by silences and textures, and the perpetual return to the heart/core.

Loosely inspired by medieval canons/rounds and Baroque structures, the album hovers between ambient/electronic experimentations and semi-classical traditions.
Exceptionally 'lovesley' as my youngest is wont to say when confronted with anything with a sparkle sheen.

Listen/buy on her bandcamp or buy on 400 only bargain priced black format at your favoured record emporia (Juno has some) or from my deceased house clearance in the year 2050.

Polytechnic Youth are bundling it with the Hologram Teen (ex Stereolab keyboard lassie Morgane Lhote) album Between The Funk & The Fear for and egalitarian; UK/£24. EU/£2, ROW £30 (all including post), which is a bargain worthy of Aldi and IMO casts a real shadow of shame over all the bands who want more than that for just one elpee (not including post).

Faten Kanaan - Pleiade Hex 6 I am really swept away by Turning into Deer in particular.

D

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:02 am

This is great.

I'm not enough of an aficionado to be able to compare it to anything that's on my radar other than Pye Corner Audio.

I've listened to a lot of your recommendations in recent months, Shadowplay. You're a man of exceptional taste.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:00 am

guitarsammy wrote:
I've listened to a lot of your recommendations in recent months, Shadowplay.
It's a pleasure. It's pretty quiet in music these days and I don't post as much as i did so it nice to get some feedback.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:29 am

This is good stuff, she's maintained the high standard she set herself with the first album.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:36 am

After a slight delay with the pre-order I got the new Faten Kanaan elpee 'Foxes' this morning...

Short and sweet...it's beautiful, it's minimallyfuturemedieval, it's delicate as the first frost and you'll be up doing a courtly basse dance with your beau or belle, it's a must have!

'Foxes' by Faten Kanaan

D

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks for the well timed heads-up, had hex pleiade on more often than not this week, yet totally forgot about this after hearing the preview a while back :fp: .