The non-stoner stoner/sludge/doom/psyche thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The non-stoner stoner/sludge/doom/psyche thread

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:37 pm

RuffiansFC wrote:I forgot to mention Kadavar. Talk about a refreshing throwback. late 60s/early 70s hard panning, not super fuzzy, very straight ahead. if you are into sir lord baltimore and stuff like that, this will be up your alley.

Great stuff.....love the sg .

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:50 am

FrankRay wrote:I don't know if it counts, but I saw Sunn 0))) live.
I suppose, if you were really persuasive, you could make some kind of argument for them being sort of vaguely some kind of a doom band in a sense, but it's quite a stretch....

I jest - "Sunn-Oh" as I like to call them because it winds up the TRVE KVLT-ists, are very much the embodiment of doom, and certainly a powerful experience when seen live. They're one of these bands that pushes what's possible within the confines of a genre, and have been relentlessly inventive as they've expanded their sound over the years. THAT SAID, I struggle to actually listen to them or enjoy them as anything other than an exercise in sensory deprivation/overload - my limit's about half an hour before I get bored.
Kenny

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:05 am

I went through disbelief, boredom, more disbelief, into a kind of cosmic anxiety into a hallucinogenic reverie when I saw them. Took about 3 hours. Watching hardcore fans jumping up and down and moshing to low frequency drones definitely helped. Context is everything.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 am

FrankRay wrote:I went through disbelief, boredom, more disbelief, into a kind of cosmic anxiety into a hallucinogenic reverie when I saw them.
Ha! This sound very much like my experience. They beat The Melvins at the "play one, long, dirgy chord forever" by about 15 minutes but were strangely compelling.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:11 am

Was out at the Red Fang/Torche show last night, which put me in the mood for some big riffs again. Today's choice is "The Sun" by Somali Yacht Club, who are Ukrainian. Not sure what to make of the name - comes across as a bit crass, but I'm liking the sounds they produce.
Kenny

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:45 am

Shadowplay mentioned Pharaoh Overlord, I think them and Circle are insanely good, they have just the right amount of chug vs motorik mix, and also a sense of humour, they don't take themselves too seriously. Saying this they make some of the most amazing drone and ambient field recording stuff, and often tip over into primal Progg, akin to blissful Trad Gras Och Stenar commune rock.

I think this track "Dark Star" is great, almost as if Can were a metal band, I love the idea of taking a really heavy riff and repeating it robotically like this and pushing the emphasis around.

Pharaoh Overlord - Dark Star

Love this track from Sweden's Horizont too, more of a classic rock sound but still really heavy:

Horizont - Visa Vagen

ST Mikael's vocals are an acquired taste, but some incredible fuzz rock to be found in these albums. Original Dungen drummer Fredrik Björling (he of the "Panda" drum intro!) and Reine Fiske on bass too.

ST Mikael - Mother is Calling
Last edited by mijmog on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Came across these blokes the other day.
They may be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_23PyBgKPY

It's 1972 all over again

:)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:31 am

The new Esben and the Witch elpee 'Older Terrors' ropes in some doom elements. Ignore any mention of it not being out until the 4th, it's in the shops now.

Sylvan

Making the Heart of a Serpent

The Wolf's Sun the most Doom flecked track. Though probably closer to Jesu, Nadja or Lycia (or in the words of my beloved; 'Doom All About Eve') than anything forked beard.

I probably preferred them before (like; Esben and the Witch - Hexagons II (The Flight) ) but I'm going to give it fair chance and thought it was worth sharing in less powerchord adverse company.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

tade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tade » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:02 am

Not really doom, but Oranssi Pazuzu deliver some kind of Psychedelic Black Metal or something that might fit in here.
Last time I saw them one of the guys was playing a Jazzmaster, if that makes a difference.

While you're there, you might want to check Dark Buddha Rising, with whom they share the drummer. More like drone, doom, dark psyche or whatever.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:39 pm

New Brant bjork is out...more stoner than doom..

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:47 am

No messing about...the first Terminal Cheesecake Album in 22 years just oozed under my front door, slithered through the house smothering pets and poor unfortunate children in it's self sustaining river of toxic ooze, before enveloping my Turntable in the sort of noxious acid dub rock that cannot be contained by burying in 2 miles of concrete. I just looked out the window a minute ago and it appears my postie died delivering it...RIP Tam.

Terminal Cheesecake - Dandelion Sauce of the Ancients.

I imagine the Porkyprimecut is rolling about in his own filth in pleasure listening to this...

D

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:56 am

shadowplay wrote:No messing about...the first Terminal Cheesecake Album in 22 years just oozed under my front door, slithered through the house smothering pets and poor unfortunate children in it's self sustaining river of toxic ooze, before enveloping my Turntable in the sort of noxious acid dub rock that cannot be contained by burying in 2 miles of concrete. I just looked out the window a minute ago and it appears my postie died delivering it...RIP Tam.

D
Good stuff - a few people in my circle of fiends have mentioned this recently, but I didn't realise that this line-up of Terminal Cheesecake includes Neil Francis (formerly of Gnod) and Dave Cochrane (Head of David, assorted Justin Broadrick, Kevin Martin collabs).
Kenny

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:05 am

^^^

Yeah it's definitely not a disgrace to their former glories. It's almost got a sort of crushing sensuality to it, it makes you move your hips for sure.

I knew the guy from Gnod was working with them, it makes sense to me, both bands being branches of the same unkillable ancient Yew.

D

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:54 am

shadowplay wrote:No messing about...the first Terminal Cheesecake Album in 22 years just oozed under my front door, slithered through the house smothering pets and poor unfortunate children in it's self sustaining river of toxic ooze, before enveloping my Turntable in the sort of noxious acid dub rock that cannot be contained by burying in 2 miles of concrete. I just looked out the window a minute ago and it appears my postie died delivering it...RIP Tam.

I imagine the Porkyprimecut is rolling about in his own filth in pleasure listening to this...

D

Oh My!! This is glorious...not so much downtuned battle axes smashing you, but the sky turned black with long bow arrows piercing your chain mail as you fall to the ground ...ordered!!!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:21 am

Anyone bought Sannhet - Young Death? It's instrumental kinda charred and charnel tourniquet tight Daydream Nation era SY or perhaps similar period Live Skull for want of a better description and in me induces a similar feeling as you get when you are half deafened by cold wind on a mountain. It also made we want to dig out

It's a collation of EP's and unreleased tracks.

D