Metal

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Metal

Post by Mad-Mike » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:26 pm

My Side
---------------------------
I'm into metal pretty big myself.  I got into hair metal first, and then dived into more and more out there and older stuff, like Maiden, Sabbath, Motorhead, Pre-Black Album Metallica, Lee Aaron, late 70's Scorps (sails of charon), and so on.  I still play quite a bit of fast metal stuff as well, here's a vid of me shreddin' on the Jaguar to a cheesy Digitech Drum machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorpKeycOfU

So far the stuff I was reallyinto was hair metal first, it was like the shirley temple of metal, for tweebs who can't handle it.  Then I learned some alt-rock/college rock/shoegazer/grunge/whatever for about 2 years, jumped into New Wave for awhile after that, got back into Hair Rock, then got into Van-Halen, and then I found the hard stuff.  First off was pre-black album Metallica, which is more aggressive and powerful than anything they put out in the last 15 years in my opinion.  Then I got into Pantera, and through reading about those bands as a late teen, I Discovered the older stuff: Sabbath, Maiden, Rhoads era Ozzy, Deep Purple, Motorhead, Dokken (though hair, a little darker than most hair metal), and the list goes on and on and on.

Out of my 2 offsets that I have now, the Jaguar is used more for the rhythmic stuff that needs to be REALLY Tight sounding, whereas the Jag-Stang works better for fat buzzy Sabbath, or Steve Vai type stuff.  I could see a Jazzmaster pulling off motorhead or sabbath really well, and the Jaguar really works well for maiden, and shockingly, Van-Halen.  Of course, I use an oddball setup, I crank the saddles high and crank the bridge low, then lower the bridge till it frets out on a whole step bend, and then raise it back up till it's clear enough.  Buzzes and rattles on my bridge don't bug me as long as they don't come through the amplification, though they seem pretty rare.
It's Me

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Naturality » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:33 pm

That vid really shows how versatile rhe Jag really is. If you use it right

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:43 pm

Finger-tappin' good!

:)

I liked the Tremelo Madness vid .. things Leo Fender never imagined someone would do with a Mustang trem.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:44 pm

I could see a Jazzmaster pulling off motorhead or sabbath really well
I can confirm this as a true statement! especialy sabbath with a bigmuff pedal. That's really cool not many offsets being played that way. I think the Jags short scale lends it's self to agressive playing, I can see why people put humbuckers in them.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:30 pm

I like (love slayer),decide,sepultura(max days),six feet under.Some Melbourne friends bands-belligerent intent,sufferkunt.These two would be Melbourne's "sickest" and fastest there is imo.i dont like the music much but had to mention it cause they're friends.lol
I actually have two songs that "border" on a metal classification so yea,its influences are set within me from long ago. :)