Re: Nels Cline

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:25 pm

Maggieo wrote: I'm kind of worried, because in the last few boots I've heard, Nels' gitar has been mixed so low you'd think it was Lou practically mixing Bob Quine off of Legendary Hearts and Live In Italy.  Tweedy is notoriously fickle with his bandmates and I fear that he's tired of Nels.  Lets hope that's not true.
I think just the opposite, I think Jeff loves playing with Nels. Now, its been a little bit since the last show I've seen in person (I think April at Starland Ballroom in Sayreville NJ) but everything I've heard and read seems to indicate that Jeff is thrilled having Nels in the band. I think the "fickle-ness" was more about getting good but not progressive musicians (Coomer, Bennett) out of the band so they could go in the YHF/GIB directions. We'll see, but I think it'll be great.
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by donnyII » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:32 pm

lalalandstudios wrote:
Maggieo wrote: I'm kind of worried, because in the last few boots I've heard, Nels' gitar has been mixed so low you'd think it was Lou practically mixing Bob Quine off of Legendary Hearts and Live In Italy.  Tweedy is notoriously fickle with his bandmates and I fear that he's tired of Nels.  Lets hope that's not true.
I think just the opposite, I think Jeff loves playing with Nels. Now, its been a little bit since the last show I've seen in person (I think April at Starland Ballroom in Sayreville NJ) but everything I've heard and read seems to indicate that Jeff is thrilled having Nels in the band. I think the "fickle-ness" was more about getting good but not progressive musicians (Coomer, Bennett) out of the band so they could go in the YHF/GIB directions. We'll see, but I think it'll be great.
i agree, I think that both of them are stoked to be working with each other. Tweedy is a great song writer, and cline really brings a lot to the table as far as "icing" jeffs songs is concerned.
Behold, THE WIZARD

Ludger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ludger » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:52 am

flatfiver wrote: Nels Cline is the coolest.  His work on Mike Watt's "Contemplating The Engine Room" is great. 
His work on Watt's "BallHog or Tugboat?" is amazing too....as is that whole album......what an amazing line up!

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:38 pm

I've seen Cline play with Wilco and have always been interested in checking out his other material but I never know where to start. Any recommendations? By the way, one need not suggest his most accessible efforts - your personal favourites would be great...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:44 pm

batchainpuller wrote: I've seen Cline play with Wilco and have always been interested in checking out his other material but I never know where to start. Any recommendations? By the way, one need not suggest his most accessible efforts - your personal favourites would be great...
Definitely give Contemplating The Engine Room a spin along with The Giant Pin.  I really like all of the Nels Cline Trio records, too.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:54 pm

Definitely give Contemplating The Engine Room a spin along with The Giant Pin.  I really like all of the Nels Cline Trio records, too.
[/quote]

Thanks. I will definitely check those out. I remember a friend of mine playing an album of his called Chess? Chest? I really enjoyed it.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:36 pm

batchainpuller wrote: Definitely give Contemplating The Engine Room a spin along with The Giant Pin.  I really like all of the Nels Cline Trio records, too.
Thanks. I will definitely check those out. I remember a friend of mine playing an album of his called Chess? Chest? I really enjoyed it.
[/quote]

Yep, that'd be Chest, a NelsCline Trio record.  It's good stuff, innit?  Nels played a Jaguar on all of the NCT stuff.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Live Nels Cline with WILCO

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:12 am

NPR has an October 2006 Wilco concert up for streaming:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6262709

Nels-a-licious, people!!!

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:58 am

Oh wow - they should have released that show as the live album!  Thanks for the heads up, Maggie!  :D

Nels seems much more present than on Kicking Television.  I think Jeff sounds better vocally.  The new tunes sound great!
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:23 pm

flatfiver wrote: Oh wow - they should have released that show as the live album!  Thanks for the heads up, Maggie!  :D

Nels seems much more present than on Kicking Television.  I think Jeff sounds better vocally.  The new tunes sound great!
I was thinking the same thing!!  The new songs kick ass, big time and Tweedy and Cline have something really cool going on with their interlocking/dueling guitars!!!

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:27 pm

batchainpuller wrote: I've seen Cline play with Wilco and have always been interested in checking out his other material but I never know where to start. Any recommendations? By the way, one need not suggest his most accessible efforts - your personal favourites would be great...
Instrumentals is also a GREAT start, IMO. I honestly haven't found much  that I didn't like.

Justin
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

regimentle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by regimentle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:25 am

Nels is what Thurston Moore openly wishes he was, and I mean that with the upmost respect for both guitarists.  Saw Nels Cline play with Chris Corsano (aka best drummer alive) and Paul Flaherty (a sax legend) and it covered my body with goosebumps.  They should do twenty records together.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:29 pm

Maggieo wrote:
The Jazzy master of the Jazzmaster (and Jaguar, before 1997), he's the offsetter's offsetter!

http://www.nelscline.com

I'm a HUGE fan.  You?
He still uses the Jag with wilco i think, "hummingbird" i believe, i dunno he said it somewhere.
I prefer their older stuff.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:00 pm

aen wrote: He still uses the Jag with wilco i think, "hummingbird" i believe, i dunno he said it somewhere.
Yeah, I remember him saying that, too.  He likes it for its "spiky sound."

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:35 pm

Haha, we read the same issue of guitar player.  I got it because of the sexxxy Jazzmaster on the cover.
I prefer their older stuff.