The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:24 am

Yeah that is a good cover, the cover of Requiem is good too. I used to have a particular hatred for She Sells (no mellowed), because I DJ'd in an alt club around the time of it's release and my face got sore saying I wouldn't play it (or pretty much anything anyone asked for but that's another matter). There's pretty much only one Cult song that's good to dance to anyway; Resurrection Joe.
Plumerai wrote:i hate most siouxsie covers,
The Nearly God cover of Tattoo is good, not as good as the original but decent. The very pop cover of Happy House by Ginger Ale (Angèle David-Guillou from Piano MAgic and Klima' old band). Sorry the is adistorted messbut you get the idea.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:26 am

shadowplay wrote:
Plumerai wrote:i hate most siouxsie covers,
The Nearly God cover of Tattoo is good, not as good as the original but decent. The very pop cover of Happy House by Ginger Ale (Angèle David-Guillou from Piano MAgic and Klima' old band). Sorry the is adistorted messbut you get the idea.

D
Totally forgot about Nearly God. I do like that one. I hated that Cleopatra Siouxsie tribute from the 90's.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:54 am

Plumerai wrote:I hated that Cleopatra Siouxsie tribute from the 90's.
These tributes are always populated by the sort of modern goth bands that buy their shit from OFFICAL Goth shops where the sell those big platform goth space trooper boots and call themselves The Stygian Tears of Anduryl or suchlike. Ironically the bands doing post punk influenced stuff that is decent tend not to bother with the fancy dress.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:34 am

Generally Joy Division and New Order should be off limits...I've talking to you Paul Young and Swans but....

Woven Hand - Truth

Gazelle Twin - The Eternal

Hannah Peel - Blue Monday

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:14 am

Golden Fable - Motorcycle Emptiness (not bothered about the original but guess it's their best song).

It's like something the head girl would play at assembly at a convent school and I mean this as a complement. Of course the nuns would be pouring over the lyrics for signs of impropriety.

D

whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whisperit » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:23 am

shadowplay wrote:Golden Fable - Motorcycle Emptiness (not bothered about the original but guess it's their best song).
A great one indeed!
(as for the original, that's the only MSP's song I really like).

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:41 am

Queen Adreena - Jolene (Dolly Parton) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNqYsozeLk4
Fever Ray - Stranger than Kindness (Nick Cave...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_50c8QZZyQ

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:43 am

shadowplay wrote:
my bloody television wrote:My Bloody Valentine's cover of Map Ref 41 N 93 W
I thought Titanias cover of Outdoor Miner was good, the rest of the Houseguests Wish was VERY poor though. I rated that they did it in more of a very sweet pop Bell is A Cup Style.

D
I like Lush's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACRvJLtIdCQ

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:22 am

Plumerai wrote:Queen Adreena - Jolene (Dolly Parton) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNqYsozeLk4

Not sure about that, it's a bit music played in a modern Goth shop (not that I have even been in a Goth shop).

I LOVE the Strawberry Switchblade Version, though Rose could sing anything and I'd give it a fair shake, it cute, hilarious and loveable like a kitten, the 12' is wonderfully ridiculous but their own songs are generally better. The video gains 100 extra catsuit points!

I really love Fever Ray but I don't think she tried hard enough really, when I bought the seven I mainly did it out of OCD completeism I was non-plussed but she really milked that album in general with so much spinoffage, it's probably my favourite Nick Cave song (though not written by him) so it's probably a tough mountain to climb.

I'm not slagging your taste, just talking to myself really. :)

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:28 am

taking on the untakeonable and winning!

Hollie Cook - Walking In the Sand

and the dub!

Doris - Whispering Pines epic Scott Walker style blow through the Bands song.

D

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 am

lately my inner goth has been comming out. my friend recomended jack of jill which lead me to this.
http://youtu.be/BL8CXTDPses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:09 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:04 am

Emika - Wicked Games I have heard a fair few shit handed runthroughs of this song but this one err...shines like a diamond.

x-tg - my only childthe whole album is a cover of Nico - Desertshore. It's all fantastic. Even the Sasha Grey track is mighty.

Sleep ∞ Over - I Want To Be Alone very pretty if very faithful cover of Vashti Bunyan

Talking Vashti

I really love Piano Magics cover of their own song Dark Ages which was originally sung by Vashti Bunyan.

Vashti Version

Klima Version

Brilliant song brilliant lyrics

The Klima cover of a Piano Magic song and making an excellent song fucking great (though the original trapped in a hundy gurdy version is good too). I'm pretty sure the original song is about her.

Klima - French Mittens

Piano Magic - French Mittens

Lindstrom & Christabelle - Let it Happen hypercosmic disco blow through of theDemis Roussos/Vangelis Balearic classic.

GLASS CANDY- miss broadway dayglo disco version of dance round yer handbags original. Belle Epoque is an awesome band name.

A.C. Marias - Time WasCanned Heat Cover with frankly astonishing Rowland S Howard Cameo

Led Er Est / A Darkness In My Soul a Solid Space cover which frankly gets full marks for even knowing who Solid Spacewere (cassette only post punk band)

Coil - Who By Fire amazing Leonard Cohen cover

Jewels of the Nile - Deathwishan early Christian Deathcover done in a churchy minimal wave style.

This immortal coil - The dark age of love. The original of this Coil song is super rare and not really that good, this is fucking amazing. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :

Mark & The Mambas - In My Room this is an archive TV version but it's great on the album. Walker Brothers cover

ADULT - 24 Hours of Fear Screamers cover, the Number of Names Cover on the Bee is really good too. Great music to jump about too

D