Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Quincy Jones craps on the Beatles

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:06 am

Telliot wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:15 am
Macca doesn’t have very nice things to say about MJ after he cozied up to Paul and stole his songbook out from under him.

What's that Jacko? You bought a lot of Jesus juice, horse tranquilisers and toilets inspired by Tutankhamun with the Beatles royalties?

I think you could get a quick TV series out of Quincy, you play him some music and let him push out his thoughts on it.

Today...Quincy on Oasis; 'they are like the fly on the Beatles shit'

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 am

I read that article and I liked it, and my impression was that he was talking about the very young Beatles in the first days of their recording career, when they might have been a little unskilled at that point in Jones' opinion.

Regardless, who cares, it's an old and successful man talking about other old and successful men, not really all that hot topic stuff. I thought it was a funny interview, though, about a lot of things. A mixture of total honesty and total bullshit at the same time and he sold it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:33 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 am
I read that article and I liked it, and my impression was that he was talking about the very young Beatles in the first days of their recording career, when they might have been a little unskilled at that point in Jones' opinion.

Regardless, who cares, it's an old and successful man talking about other old and successful men, not really all that hot topic stuff. I thought it was a funny interview, though, about a lot of things. A mixture of total honesty and total bullshit at the same time and he sold it.
Absolutely. He's the kind of 85 year-old I'd gladly sit down with and just let talk, because regardless of how true it is or how strongly he actually feels about it, he definitely has an entertaining way of saying it.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:02 am

^ From what I've heard about him recently, he's also the sort of 85-year-old who would try to get into your teenage daughter's knickers. Doesn't strike me as much of a class act, when all's said and done.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:06 am
Telliot wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:15 am
Macca doesn’t have very nice things to say about MJ after he cozied up to Paul and stole his songbook out from under him.

What's that Jacko? You bought a lot of Jesus juice, horse tranquilisers and toilets inspired by Tutankhamun with the Beatles royalties?

I think you could get a quick TV series out of Quincy, you play him some music and let him push out his thoughts on it.

Today...Quincy on Oasis; 'they are like the fly on the Beatles shit'

D
:D

Apparently Quincy and I agree on Oasis.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 am

My father was saying shit like this 10 years ago (not about music, but everything else in the world).
It got worse and worse and then we discovered he had Alzheimer's and basically his brain/memory was fucked.
Q is way past the start line for brain disease and what goes with it.

And for the record I would rather assess Ringo's abilities and his feel for songs by listening to them that having some old Jazz guy tell me what I am listening to is not good.

These guys also concur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJTjjAXDZSY
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:13 am

Guy’s a nut. McCartney is an amazing all round pop musician. As good as it gets.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:26 am

Its Quincy, he was never one to hold his tongue as far as I can remember. The interviewer was stuck on his script and getting the interview he planed out the night before. I think Quincy was giving leading answers at times, a mix of irritation of tired old questions, his own amusement, and some attempts at coaxing the interview into more interesting (to him) areas , he was quite responsive when the questions were good and seemed to like the followups to those questions, but Mr Marchese did not seem to pick up on it and kept going back to his script.

Really makes me miss Dick Cavett.
And Gore Vidal.

We need more interviewers capable of listening and responding instead of just asking, and more interviewees who expect the interviewer to do more then hold up hoops to be jumped through.

Is U2 still making good music?
[Shakes head.]
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Quincy has now apologized after his six daughters kicked his ass over it. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/qu ... 162f21cd4e

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:18 pm

Bah.

Take it back, Quincy, take that apology back! Tell us you had your fingers crossed while you made it! Something!

Fuck Joe Jackson and his feelings. His abuse of his kids is legendary, as is his abuse of sidemen. My uncle was the J5's touring drummer for a couple of years, and Joe was a fucking asshole to him. Apparently my grandma and Kate Jackson got on famously and used to hang out, and she was very kind to my uncle, but he's got no kind words for Joe Jackson, just stories of that guy yelling berating him and calling him the "jew drummer" and beating his kids like rented mules.
This is an excellent rectangle

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 pm

Ah yes, the "I'm sorry to anyone I offended" non-apology. Why not just "I'm sorry"? Why is it always "I'm sorry if YOU took offense" nowadays? It's not somebody else's fault if you screwed up.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:22 am

spacecadet wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 pm
Ah yes, the "I'm sorry to anyone I offended" non-apology. Why not just "I'm sorry"? Why is it always "I'm sorry if YOU took offense" nowadays? It's not somebody else's fault if you screwed up.
How is expressing a dislike for a band screwing up? It is not his fault if he does not like every band someone might like.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:32 am

Did he really date Ivanka or did they just have dinner or...?

COLLIDES
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by COLLIDES » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:25 am

According to a friend of mine who has worked with him on and off for a decade or so, Quincy quit drinking a few years back and he’s replaced it with fistfuls of pills. Wildly entertaining interview, but I’d take it as just that... entertainment. Like bad reality television.