Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:32 am

Snapped Ankles - Jonny Guitar Calling Gosta Berlin oming on like a snotty 1979 sort of motorik.

Killing Sound - Eight Methods a masterpiece

Group Rhoda - At the Dark I really loved the two Group Rhoda elpees and every now and then I Google her to hek she's not got something out I missed and joy of joys she's got a new album Wilderless coming out next month on Dark Entries (smaple track Trespass) and I've just Pre ordered it. In the meantime I stuck on the other two records.

Group Rhoda - Dust

Btw...The Belbury Circle (Belbury Poly + The Advisory Circle = Belbury Circle) album with John Foxx is out in a out a month and it sounds terrific. The last one the 10' Empty Avenues was a belter.

Sally Shapiro - Skating in the Moonshine (Jon Brooks Remix)

Hologram Teen - God(d) Of Thunder Vs. Sukia

Bibio • ‘ Petals (Live Session)’ Mrs S thinks the original is an absolute masterpiece and showed me this version where he plays it live. It sadly lacks the heartspinning backwards coda on the original but it still a beautiful example of one man and an electric guitar. The other similar versions on yootoob are similarly wonderful;

Dye the Water Green (live)

Lovers Carvings (live) with beautiful Freddie Philips evocation

Virginia Wing - Rhonda cracking 3 track 12'

Blancmange - Running Thin a beautiful compact and bijo B side in such elegant shades of grey. A real cool down track after you wear out the floor to the A side.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 am

VAZZ - You Haunt Me gorgeously short and oh so sweet.

MYRKUR - Crown mighty northern wonders. Winter is coming.

Xerox Girls - Erase Me I've never really bought the story about them being an old band from 1979 and it being digital only probably confirms this. I think it might just be a Black dog prank and does sound a little 'post' but it is still Sheffield all the way through like a stick of stainless steel rock and really fucking good with it.

Patience - White Of An Eye a wee bitty derivative of a song I love dearly but still worth having.

D

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Wishing Well

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sometimes things pop into your brain after a couple decades. What can ya do?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:12 am

Boy Harsher - Pain Oh so does it for me. Not so sure about the new EP what i've heard is bit more evolved and less goth and not in a good way, I've got it on order but it's a step to far toward 'proper' music. This squelchy repetition and smoke mouthed khol chanteuse is much more my speed. I've been trying to buy another copy of this for one of my kids and fuck me if they aren't priced at crazy money...so it's a tough luck life lesson.

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - An Intention just arrived, I'm not many songs in but I'm liking it a lot. When Iisten to Kaitlyn I always wonder what happened to Glasser.

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith & Suzanne Ciani - Sunergy been playing this a lot becuase I was expecting the new one. Sublime,

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:37 am

Forest Swords - Congregate Recorded during the 'Compassion' album sessions. All proceeds go to ongoing and future aid work in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and Mexico following the recent hurricane and earthquake devastation. Digital only, only two quid for two tracks and for a worthy cause..

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd-C4gLo5oA

The Rubens - The Best We Got

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:02 am

Carla Dal Forno - We Shouldn't Have To Wait AMAZING

Burning Hearts - Folie a Deux obviously that bassline is like the bassline you are thinking it's like but it's still a good wee song.

Burning Hearts - Bodies as Battlefields

and live

Burning Hearts - Bodies as Battlefields - Live

Off World - Decamp super gelatinous motorik cocktail babble. The last album was a cracker and this one isn't disappointing.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:51 am

Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement ‎– Beyond The Yellow-Spotted Bamboo mighty forth world monsoon of a track.

Black Swords - The Arc Light Murders; Black (Stuart Argabright of Black Rain, Dominatrix, O13 and of course the mighty Ike Yard), Swords (Orphan Swords). Immense prowling electric praying mantis step that gives your ears a gentle sandblasting before disolving into feedback heave.

Ike Yard - Oshima Cassette one of the few bands that managed to keep the bedsheets shit free on their comeback album.

Ike Yard - Kino AMAZING when I heard it in 1982, still amazing today. Crackles with malevolent power.

Black Rain - Protoplasm immense hovering dream pop beadblaster. Reminds me of Scala.

Sixth June - Nebo moving almost into Viva Xmal territory, it's got that tender chill.

Pessimist - Spirals taken me a while to get round to this. Think slomo Source Direct in an industrial freezer

Lapalux - Phase Violet feat Carmela Lobo of Tropic of Cancer. Dazzling soaring Technicolor

Tarcar - Eija on a total Carla Dal Forno binge.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 am

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:48 am

shadowplay wrote:Mary Casio (Hannah Peel) - Sunrise through a Dusty Nebula. really lovely concept record that pays homage to female synth pioneers and colliery bands.

D
Bought this on Friday - brilliant - the record and the presentation.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:38 am

NickD wrote:
shadowplay wrote:Mary Casio (Hannah Peel) - Sunrise through a Dusty Nebula. really lovely concept record that pays homage to female synth pioneers and colliery bands.

D
Bought this on Friday - brilliant - the record and the presentation.
Aye, it's a lovely thing all round.

Maximum Joy - Silent Street / Silent Dub I already have this as a single but I still bought I Can't Stand It Here On Quiet Nights: Singles 1981​-​82 that just came out.; Utterly superb in every way

Bunnydrums - Too Much Time dark dancefloor classic

Xarah Dion - Sillage Et Caprice not a million miles from early Marie Davidson.

Blancmange - Holiday Camp

Autumns – No More Luxury iron fist post punk tech

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 am

Hot Chocolate - You Could've Been A Lady (live) stupefunky wedding dancefloor slayer. Where's my knee length boots? Absolutely spunky telecaster stroking

Btw the youngest member of coven Shadowplay has been reading the Hobbit and called the bongo player Tom Bongodil! Yeah his gear is yellow and not is boots but you know... :D

and the record I just played; Hot Chocolate - You Could've Been A Lady Primal Scream studied this intently

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:33 am

Agnes Obel - Stretch Your Eyes (Quiet Village Remix) I was listening to the new Tricky album and feeling...not very much and thinking that this is much more like it. Just a gorgeous reimagining of the original, all overlapping honeyed vocals, locked to a flickering clokwork pulse. A gorgeous must have 12'.

Colleen - Summer night (Bat song)
a beautiful song from a beautiful album.

Kuniyuk Featuring Anne Clark ‎– Between Shadow And Lights (Barnt Remix)

Anne Clark - Sleeper In Metropolis total classic

Jarboe & Father Murphy - The Ferryman off to see this collab tomorrow. Sounds pretty much as you would expect but not in a bad way. Sounds like SKIN.

The Radio Dept.: Swedish guns (Mythologen remix)

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCY9vIjx03o

The Mattson 2 - Chi nine ft. Ray Barbee

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:56 am

I didn't realise this split ten was out until it was nearly too late (175 copies only!) but in scenes reminiscent of Lance Corporal Jones giving it the full 'Don't Panic' I got one for me and one for the older girls to share.

Vatican Shadow - Monotheism And Zarqa starts off likes it's a sewer dwelling dub of Rasputin!

Ancient Methods - Immured In Supreme Beliefs wierdly this also has some cossack disko about it....well Cossack Disko if the horses were in charge of the beats.

D