Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 12880
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: east kilbride, glasgow

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFKf6A1UM74" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4-track demo version of remember me - the birthday massacre. sounds so much better than the album version. so much creepier.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 21818
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:01 am

sammynb wrote:Mere Women - Silver and Gold
David, I think you would like Mere Women, Sydney band, if you haven't heard them.
They have a new album Big Skies out on Poison City Records which worth the listen.
Thanks for a welcome headsup.

D
Low value person.

User avatar
fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2669
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:48 pm
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:45 pm

sammynb wrote:Mere Women - Silver and Gold
David, I think you would like Mere Women, Sydney band, if you haven't heard them.
They have a new album Big Skies out on Poison City Records which worth the listen.
i was just listening to them the other day. Getting a friend in Oz to look for a copy for me... ( shipping is very expensive if ordering from the label)

User avatar
NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1496
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:39 am

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by NickD » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Jazz grooves

Yusef Lateef - Psychicemotus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x0r2AFlSVM

And some new old and new new from Ghost Box people

Belbury Poly - Scarlet Ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hck89wOfil8
Focus Group - Medium in the Mirror https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJzhJnmvR_U

User avatar
sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1607
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by sammynb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:19 am

fakeplasticdreams wrote:
sammynb wrote:Mere Women - Silver and Gold
David, I think you would like Mere Women, Sydney band, if you haven't heard them.
They have a new album Big Skies out on Poison City Records which worth the listen.
i was just listening to them the other day. Getting a friend in Oz to look for a copy for me... ( shipping is very expensive if ordering from the label)
Where is your friend based? Poison City are Melbourne based so most decent shops there will have it.
Redeye in Sydney and Beatdisc in Parramatta have stock, they are also playing a show at Beatdisc this Friday so if your friend is local they can catch the gig.

Not sure about this, it's also on Poison City records, Batpiss - Rest in Piss.
Mere Women and another local fave, Zeahorse, are playing with them in a month's time so I'm tempted.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 21818
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 am

NickD wrote:'s's

And some new old and new new from Ghost Box people

Belbury Poly - Scarlet Ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hck89wOfil8
Focus Group - Medium in the Mirror https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJzhJnmvR_U
It was really great to see The Owls Map finally getting a vinyl release.

Total Leatherette - Faux Fox greasy, sleazy and dirty Glasgow EBM, that makes me pine for the nights I spent playing records for perby fetishists. An earlier Total Leatherette track was called 'Fist and Shout' says it all really.

Martin Jenkins - YourLoveIsCrawlingAllOverMe very early 90's UK techno al la B12.

Kara-Lis Coverdale - Grafts gorgeous, fluttering, mothlite glitch.

D
Low value person.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 21818
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 am

Seeing all the Twin Peaks chat had me digging out this cheeky Glasgow dance round The Pink Room.

Big Ned - Bad Angel

D
Low value person.

User avatar
rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2420
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 4:18 pm
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by rhythmjones » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm

My band opened for Wolf Alice last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71df68qLp0
- Mitch

http://www.electricorchids.com
https://soundcloud.com/electricorchids

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 21818
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:52 am

Secret Life - Witche maximum Belgian goth coldwave. OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!OW!

Years Of Denial - Here In The Gut definitely going to be reaching at least base camp on Mount Shadowplay's end of year lists. Colder than a Medusa glare. I posted Hashima before and every trak on this is monumantally brilliant.

John Bender - 42B4 Plaster beautiful woozy lo beam minimal waves pass right through your heart

Lali Puna - Grin & Bear had fun dancing with the kids to this.

Astaroth - Lady Of Moon my pal Long Playing Alan gave me this for my birthday the other year. I think it's a pretty rare 60's psyche seven along the lines of The Electric Prunes or whatever and makes you pine for more.

D
Low value person.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 21818
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:18 am

Shackleton with Anika - Endless Memento/Regression/Wading Through the Underworld Amazing fully berobed future medieval threnody. I can't get enough of this album.

D
Low value person.

User avatar
fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2669
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:48 pm
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:29 pm

sammynb wrote:
fakeplasticdreams wrote:
sammynb wrote:Mere Women - Silver and Gold
David, I think you would like Mere Women, Sydney band, if you haven't heard them.
They have a new album Big Skies out on Poison City Records which worth the listen.
i was just listening to them the other day. Getting a friend in Oz to look for a copy for me... ( shipping is very expensive if ordering from the label)
Where is your friend based? Poison City are Melbourne based so most decent shops there will have it.
Redeye in Sydney and Beatdisc in Parramatta have stock, they are also playing a show at Beatdisc this Friday so if your friend is local they can catch the gig.

Not sure about this, it's also on Poison City records, Batpiss - Rest in Piss.
Mere Women and another local fave, Zeahorse, are playing with them in a month's time so I'm tempted.
He's in Melbourne. I reckon there should be decent record shops there :)

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 21818
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:39 am

She Drew The Gun - Pit Pony proper little retrosound psyche stomper, with just the right amount of lip curl and a hip swingin' chorus. I wasn't that keen on a lot of the record when I bought, it was a mite orthodox but I like this.

D
Low value person.

User avatar
NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1496
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:39 am

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by NickD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:46 am

Keeping on my Sheffield synth theme, I picked this up on a seven inch at the weekend, for 20p!. This and the rest of their output had a release on VOD about ten years ago that I might search out.

The Naughtiest Girl Was A Monitor - Front https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY3Ee_kVpzw

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 21818
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:56 am

NickD wrote:Keeping on my Sheffield synth theme, I picked this up on a seven inch at the weekend, for 20p!. This and the rest of their output had a release on VOD about ten years ago that I might search out.

The Naughtiest Girl Was A Monitor - Front https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY3Ee_kVpzw
Well done you, that's a minor classic. I loved those singles back then, they had a real bedroom sound but under the covers they had big pop ambitions.

You can really hear it on So Far Away off the VOD record you mention, it's epic Kitchen Synth Pop.

I think it's amazing that a lot of the forgotten music from this period is so loved. Even folk I knew who were really into collecting records used to take the piss a bit.

D
Low value person.

User avatar
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1948
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:31 am
Location: South Eastern Australia

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by windmill » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:29 am


Post Reply