Anyone play with compression on most/all of the time?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone play with compression on most/all of the time?

Post by RuffiansFC » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:08 am

my dod 280 is on all of the time. it is key to my sound. it is my clean tone. glassy, but still warm. optical compressors sound great to me, and are overlooked too much by guitar players. I have no problem having it before my od250 and Ge Fuzz Face. It pushes the od so well, and adds a little extra high end to make the fuzz face a big muff killer.

Splitcoil
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Splitcoil » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:49 pm

I used to play with a Morley Pro Compressor on all the time. Subtle, but good effect and the pedal itself is completely indestructible. Massive, die-cast tank of a pedal. It's in a box here, waiting to be sold someday, but I doubt there's much of a market for it these days as people seemed to have moved to much heavier compression for the most part.

murraythek
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by murraythek » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Yes. A Diamond comp. Tone and level @ noon with comp about 9-10. Very transparent.

rory
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rory » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:44 am

I really want the new TC Electronics Hyper Gravity. Anyone try one of these?

Really loving TC these days. Quality stuff for a good price.

borntohang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by borntohang » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:11 am

Not only did I used to use a compressor on all the time, but two compressors on all the time.

TC Electronics Comp (basically a rebadged Nova Comp) set to brickwall into the compressor on my ME-80 option set to pump. At the time I was playing through a 410 HRD in a single guitar band playing minimalist rock, and was obsessed with getting the 'cleanest' overdrive I could. I was basically shooting for a clean sound that reacted and sustained like an overdrive without the muddy frequencies. It sounded fantastic; I used a lot of modulated delays and if I hit the trem bar I could get this huge swoops of shimmering sound over the music. Lots of fun.

These days I use a cheap junky unbadged compressor that doesn't even have a footswitch. It sits on top of my amp like a beano boost would and I can wind it up and down depending on how I feel. Runs at 9-15v and has a ridiculous amount of squash by itself. I use it into solid state amps to get a valvelike feel to the compression.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:51 am

I do. I want to try one of those 'Diamond' compressors..sound like the thing for me. (goes to put a wanted ad up)

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:15 pm

eggwheat wrote:I do. I want to try one of those 'Diamond' compressors..sound like the thing for me. (goes to put a wanted ad up)
because of your recent gig with J.Marr? ;D

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:33 pm

I use mine a lot to encourage infinite sustain. so, it's a little heavy handed for some things and ill switch it off half the time - especially when I want to stab rhythms through a dense arrangement live.

I s'pose if I set it to be more natural in attack and sustain, I could possibly use it full time.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:33 am

OffYourFace wrote:
eggwheat wrote:I do. I want to try one of those 'Diamond' compressors..sound like the thing for me. (goes to put a wanted ad up)
because of your recent gig with J.Marr?
Haha yeh, but when I investigated it...it sounded like what I'm after, opto based, more transparent and like a studio rack compressor in a pedal. Wanna find one s/h so I can try.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:08 am

eggwheat wrote:
OffYourFace wrote:
because of your recent gig with J.Marr?
Haha yeh, but when I investigated it...it sounded like what I'm after, opto based, more transparent and like a studio rack compressor in a pedal. Wanna find one s/h so I can try.

yeah that sounds like the type of circuit I have in my older Carl Martin comp. it has a hard wired AC power supply and behaves more like a studio comp. man I've had that thing since the late 90's... I'm picky about compression but have never felt the need to change. although now I'm designing an all-battery powere board for some outdoor (way outdoor) gigs. I'll probably go back to the CS-2 for that.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

funnylittle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by funnylittle » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:19 pm

i got a vintage DOD 280 Compressor (Orange/Grey) a while ago to solve issues with the Jaguar sounding too thin during a couple of songs. i left it on all the time after a while but to be honest, i don't know, if it really improved the sound. the SCs were able to compete with the HBs in my Yamaha SG a bit easier. but apart from that ... i left it away during the last couple of gigs due to space issues on my pedalboard and it didn't matter that much

bgalizio
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bgalizio » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Got a Barber Tone Press compact for Christmas. Awesome compressor! I love the clean blend. Really makes it stand out vs some others I've used in the past.

rory
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rory » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:07 pm

Got the newish TC Electronic Hyper Gravity a while back. Still trying to figure out where and how to use it, although when I finally got in the band room and on stage it became much clearer to me since I had my amp above apartment levels.
Ended up rolling back the sustain quite a bit from where I initially had it and turned the attack to much slower. Blend at about 2 oclock (I guess like 70% wet). Really great for playing over top of your own loops and for getting some feedback that you might not otherwise get with just an overdrive on.

Keep it on almost the whole time when I brought the tele out since it's quieter than my Jazzmaster. Sounded very nice on fingerpicked parts.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:47 am

Finally. Yeh this compressor rules. Does exactly what I wanted.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:26 am

I use (first gen) Barber Tone Press, but primarily as a clean boost. I had been using a Fulltone Fat Boost but even at really conservative settings it was pushing the amp too hard. Use it mainly for when I switch from playing with a pick to fingers, but I've also started using it in place of switching on the OD for certain songs.

In a different musical setting I could definitely see leaving it on all the time.

I think being able to blend in the unaffected signal is really key.