Anyone play with compression on most/all of the time?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Anyone play with compression on most/all of the time?

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:39 pm

i recommend the Seymour Duncan Vice Grip. It's the best guitar pedal compressor I've found. I used the CS-2 for years but i think the VG is better. I'm using it on synths, too.
The Dyna Comp is too squishy. The CS-2 is great but the tone started to annoy me, too midrangey (but that's also why it's great for some guitar styles).

To me, the VG adds to the tone and you can shape it with a 3-position toggle switch. The mix knob works great, keeps the feel alive.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Is the Vice Grip similar to the Barber Tone Press? It does the parallel mix thing pretty well. I love Barber stuff but found it lacking in the mojo department. I like my (your former :P ) CS-2 a lot! So glad To have that pedal back in the mix. The attack knob is just enough for some versatility.

I also use an old block logo Dyna Comp, which is squishy but really nice for certain sounds. It was the first one I got when I decided to delve into pedal comps and has been the one I used most of all.

Fwiw, a lot of times I will run my compressors after dirt. Totally different ball game. Might not be great for everyone, but I like running guitar, OD, comp, etc..., amp. Love that feel. Squishy doesn't have to mean dead and lifeless, tone wise. ;)
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:05 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:Sounds like I'm going to have to give things a go. I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap Dyna Comp to try this out on, as a lot of my favorites used it. Onward from there if it becomes a part of the "thing".

Thanks everyone

Good choice, a Dyna Comp set to "mild" is very safe place to start.

I've an even more simple circuit in place: Rain or shine, there's always a Pedalworx McSqueeze turned on with the knob set to around 10:00.
Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

BobFostec
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BobFostec » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:19 am

Hi folks,
I have played with a comp always on for about 10 years now and being the gear whore I am, have bought and sold countless comp pedals for this. The MXR Dynacomp was my fave but ultimately just a little too noisy, so I started to look for a quieter option. After trolling forums I came upon the chinese-cheapo-dynacomp-knock off by Biyang called the "Compress X". This is hands down the best comp I've had and have never really found a better "always on" pedal. I recently bought the new DOD 280 which is a very close second but not quite as transparent.
Just my 2cents, but the Biyang is stupid cheap and awesome.
These ARE the droids you're looking for

BolanRox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BolanRox » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:19 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote: Here's something I always thought was pretty handy (Bjorn always has a neat perspective as far as I'm concerned):
http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=276

when it comes to using or stacking effects in tasteful ways David (like using 3 different comps at different times on SOYCD live) has always been tops.

matbard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matbard » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:37 am

I play mostly 12 string electric, so my use of compressor is quite different and obviously I keep it always turned on.

Having used a Janglebox in the past(excellent) - and having a modded '68 Custom Deluxe Twin Reverb as my main amp - now I'm tempted to put one of these in front of that:

http://artproaudio.com/channel_strips_c ... /tube_mpc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BolanRox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BolanRox » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:42 am

I think that would nail the Byrds tone if thats what you are going for :)

Anyone else looking at the new TC comp (full tone print integration!) might be hard to beat

kkehoe11
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kkehoe11 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:51 am

I am saving right now for one of these two compressors. I Haven't decided which one yet. I think I'd probably end up leaving these on all the time.

http://proguitarshop.com/video-reviews/ ... r#?type=56

or

What do you guys think?
https://t.me/pump_upp

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:35 am

Depends... as always, ha ha. Probably not much of a help here, but I tend to use a compressor with cleaner tones only, e.g. on a few quieter instrumentals I have been playing lately. Sure helps a bit with picking/slide work. Using gentle settings: low ratio/sustain (a 2 in 1 knob on mine) and slow/medium attack. Can't see any use for switching it on/off mid-song... which might be due to the fact that I don't have golden ears or fingers, anyway. Sure a comp can also be used as a boost for lead work (where increased sustain [to@nz] might also be desirable), but I try to minimize FX stomping the best I can. Just an extra distraction to my clumsy efforts at playing. I rather switch to another pup or just pick somewhat harder, since the hands are busy anyway. For normal band use (meaning the rhythm section happily pumping away), I have to turn the amp (which is set up for early saturation and lots of sag) up a bit, meaning I have no use for the compressor in 'normal' band context. I find that the extra squash from the comp takes the life out of the signal when it's already OD'd as fuck. When playing bass, the comp stays on all the time. Using a Joyo, which seems to be some kind of Boss clone. Also owned a Dynacomp (used it on guitar and bass), and can't tell much difference between the two since I set them to just smooth out the signal somewhat, and not as an obvious effect. Blah blah.
Nobody exists on purpose.

burntumber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burntumber » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:32 am

my DOD Milkbox has stayed on since the day I got it.

sometimes I crank it and use it as an OD.

I don't really understand compression, but I know it just makes it all sound better to my ears.

Dan.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan. » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:56 am

I have a Mooer Yellow Comp that stays on all the time. I'm the only guitarist in my band and we occasionally use some fingertapping riffs, so I use it to keep everything at an equal volume.
s_mcsleazy: i'll stop following you on tumblr.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:35 am

kkehoe11 wrote:I am saving right now for one of these two compressors. I Haven't decided which one yet. I think I'd probably end up leaving these on all the time.

or

What do you guys think?
I haven't messed with either of these, but this is what I use:
http://www.yssound.com/compressor.html
It's SUPER quiet and just amazing.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:33 am

kosmonautmayhem wrote:Is the Vice Grip similar to the Barber Tone Press? It does the parallel mix thing pretty well. I love Barber stuff but found it lacking in the mojo department. I like my (your former ) CS-2 a lot! So glad To have that pedal back in the mix. The attack knob is just enough for some versatility.

I also use an old block logo Dyna Comp, which is squishy but really nice for certain sounds. It was the first one I got when I decided to delve into pedal comps and has been the one I used most of all.

Fwiw, a lot of times I will run my compressors after dirt. Totally different ball game. Might not be great for everyone, but I like running guitar, OD, comp, etc..., amp. Love that feel. Squishy doesn't have to mean dead and lifeless, tone wise.

I've never tried the Barber but I guess so... The CS-2 does a certain thing, that's why I still have one.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:41 am

Ha! I didn't realize you had 2 of them!

I've been eyeballing the RI DOD 280, it's supposedly optical, which is a type of comp I've yet to try. Inexpensive to boot!
On the more pricey end, I've always wanted to try a Bearfoot Pale Green or Forest Green Comp. :unsure: Maybe I should get out of this discussion before I start emptying my wallet. :ph34r:
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:11 pm

The one I sold you was being used for bass guitar but I replaced it with the Seymour Duncan Studio Bass. It's the same as the Vice Grip but tuned lower for Bass.