Boss CE-1 Questions-NPD page 2

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Drill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Boss CE-1 Questions-NPD page 2

Post by Drill » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:00 pm

You could try the Waza Craft version of the boss ce-2, since it has ce-1 chorus and vibrato mode.

Gswearengin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gswearengin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:10 am

And now for something completely different...

Any of you guys try the Zoom MS-50g? Some of the guys over on TGP are saying its CE-1 emulation is as good as it gets...even better than the Retro-Sonic. It's less than 1/3 of the price, so I'm certainly intrigued...but it's also a digital multieffects thing, which is a definite turn off for my cork-sniffing olfactory senses.

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:14 am

Gswearengin wrote:And now for something completely different...

Any of you guys try the Zoom MS-50g? Some of the guys over on TGP are saying its CE-1 emulation is as good as it gets...even better than the Retro-Sonic. It's less than 1/3 of the price, so I'm certainly intrigued...but it's also a digital multieffects thing, which is a definite turn off for my cork-sniffing olfactory senses.
I have one, the folks on TGP oversell it a lot.

It's a good pedal, but I have several of the pedals it models and there is a definite drop in quality on all the effects. I can't do a direct comparison on the CE-1 though since I sold my CE-1 years ago.

Gswearengin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gswearengin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:27 am

Thanks for talking me down from the edge there, dude. No need for me to go chasing digital ghosts here...

I drove myself crazy last night comparing all the choruses I have against the Retro-Sonic in a looper with headphones on (it was late). It honestly didn't fare too well:

Mooer Ensemble King at 12v: the Mooer sounds warmer and deeper at 12v than 9v. Compared to the Retro-Sonic, the RS wins in every category, but it's literally 6x the price and the differences are subtle. The RS was both deeper and warmer, but the Mooer sounds pretty good. I'll keep it to use as my subtle/clean chorus.

Red Witch Empress: Short version, the Red Witch is warmer than the RS. I had to turn the voice knob way up to get the same level of modulation, which introduces a fair amount of noise, but other than that they sounded really similar...

MXR Stereo Chorus (reissue, 18v): has all the analog buzzwords that the RS is lacking...depth, warmth, lushness, etc. I was able to set it where it was almost indistinguishable from the RS. The depth was only halfway up and the intensity at about 3/4. So the MXR has a lot more to give, although not necessarily all useful. It also has all those EQ options available. The waveform is different...I find the RS a little more pleasing, but maybe it's just more familiar. I also tried to figure out if the MXR has any effect on the sound when it's bypassed. It might thin things out a little bit and/or add a little extra high end, but it's hard to tell and this is not my strong suit.

Anyway, I've written a book. Short version: the RS goes back, and the MXR is king. I will probably still seek to replace it long-term, just because I'm never satisfied. Maybe I'll look for an older RS, although it would be nice to be able to play it first. A real CE-1 is out of my league...

Thanks y'all,

Gary