Equalizer Pedals

Everyone needs a stompbox.
batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Equalizer Pedals

Post by batchainpuller » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:00 pm

OK. So I don't use many effects. Russian Big Muff, MXR Phase 90. I however am invariably told that a good equalizer pedal is indispensable for being able to effectively customize one's tone. Am I missing out? Any brand suggestions?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: Equalizer Pedals

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:02 am

i´ve tried a boss and a MXR. they both did the job, but the MXR sounded a bit better, althoug it didn´t have an on/off switch.

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:29 am

Dano Fish'n'Chips gets HUGE amounts of praise over at HCEFX - I couldn't possibly comment though - I get in enough of a pickle just having the Bass, Middle and Treble knobs on my amp (I'd happily just have a single 'tone' knob).

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:20 am

I used to have the switchless MXR too...it sounded cool and gave me loads of tonal variation.

I have been told by experienced guitarists in the past that the best EQ for guitar is a parametric one, so a pedal like the Boss PQ-4 might be worth checking out.

they are discontinued, but available on ebay.

more info on the PQ-4:

http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/pq4.xml

:)
Resident Spartan.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:17 pm

I use a Moog Three-Band Parametric EQ which is amazing.  It's quiet, it can boost my levels tremendously, and just has so much tweak it's uncanny.  ...It's not a pedal though.  It's a rack piece.  I can run a remote on/off out of it though, so it sits on top of my amp looking cool until I turn it on and kill stuff.   >:(
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:46 pm

I have a Boss GE-7. I initially bought it to equalize the nastiness out of this Yamaha acoustic-electric I had years ago. It excelled in this application. I've also used it to compenasate for crappy guitars, as a line booster, and most recently before I got my TS9DX, as a way to overdrive my amp. Probably the most utilitarian pedal I own. I found out about a mod that can be installed to make it cleaner and stuff here. Never hard finding a used GE-7.
Pedal Pusher

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:49 pm

tremolite wrote: I have a Boss GE-7. I initially bought it to equalize the nastiness out of this Yamaha acoustic-electric I had years ago. It excelled in this application. I've also used it to compenasate for crappy guitars, as a line booster, and most recently before I got my TS9DX, as a way to overdrive my amp. Probably the most utilitarian pedal I own. I found out about a mod that can be installed to make it cleaner and stuff here. Never hard finding a used GE-7.
The Boss GE-7 is one of the few equalizers I've been advised to seduce. Cheers.

evoluzione

Post by evoluzione » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:32 am

I use a Boss PQ-50 Parametric EQ in my main rig. Mainy to balance out the differences (which are HUGE) between the Jazzmaster and my Travis Bean.
As Tremolite stated, EQ's are the most effective and utilitarian pedals around.
I have just bought a GE-7 too, not sure why..??? I was looking for a PQ-4 but the GE-7 came up at the right price.

Good, Good.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:58 pm

Bastards. Just when I thought my PAS was abating, you make me need an EQ.  :-\