Recommend me some fuzz

Everyone needs a stompbox.
benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Recommend me some fuzz

Post by benecol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:52 am

I've got most of the silicone end of Fuzz covered with my Little Big Muff and Dano French Toast, but I'm looking for a nasty, spitty geranium type fuzz (without spending the earth), has anyone got any recommendations? I'm tempted by some sort of FuzzFace clone, but have heard less than good things about the reissues (and the originals, for that matter). So, trashy 60's fuzz - anyone?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Recommend me some fuzz

Post by zhivago » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:28 am

Vexter Fuzz Factory....used, it should be pretty cheap
Resident Spartan.

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:34 am

Really? For that germanium feeling? Hope to get a Zoom Ultra Fuzz for Christmas, the poor man's FF.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:37 am

zhivago wrote: Vexter Fuzz Factory....used, it should be pretty cheap
+1

fuzz factorys use two matched germanium transistors, and are capable of the most insane nastiness.

in my experience most fuzz faces aren´t very nasty or spitty.
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:58 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
+1

fuzz factorys use two matched germanium transistors, and are capble of the most insane nastiness.

in my experience most fuzz faces aren´t very nasty or spitty.
and quite a few of the "demonic ones" usualy disappear in the mix of a band too.

The Way Huge Swollen Pickle is a great example of that, from what I hear :)
Resident Spartan.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:32 am

benecol wrote: looking for a nasty, spitty geranium type fuzz
???

Just kidding .. I think possibly the best bang-for-the-buck fuzzes might be the BYOC. You can make them yourself or buy them ready-made. They have a Tonebender clone which should be pretty nasty-sounding, although they don't say if it's germanium. Their fuzzface clone definitely is Ge though.

A Vexter FF is a good suggestion - very over the top noise potential. Two other fairly affordable fuzzes - the Tonefactor Huckleberry has mixed Si/Ge transistors. The MI Audio Neo Fuzz is Ge, and very tweakable, you should be able to get it to sound pretty ugly too.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:16 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
+1

fuzz factorys use two matched germanium transistors, and are capable of the most insane nastiness.
+2 on the Fuzz Factory.  Turn the STAB knob counter-clockwise and stand back!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:58 am

mezcalhead wrote:
benecol wrote: looking for a nasty, spitty geranium type fuzz
???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:08 pm

Maggieo wrote:
mynameisjonas wrote:
+1

+3 (or is it 4 or 5 or more now?)

pretty much every shade of fuzz you could ever want to muster!

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:22 am

mezcalhead wrote: Just kidding .. I think possibly the best bang-for-the-buck fuzzes might be the BYOC. You can make them yourself or buy them ready-made. They have a Tonebender clone which should be pretty nasty-sounding, although they don't say if it's germanium. Their fuzzface clone definitely is Ge though.
das musikding have a tonebender clone kit as well (with Ge transistors), much cheaper, but as i said in the other thread, the don´t come with a pre-drilled box.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:58 am

offsetwaistbody wrote:
Maggieo wrote:
mynameisjonas wrote: +1

+3 (or is it 4 or 5 or more now?)

pretty much every shade of fuzz you could ever want to muster!
+4 (or is it 5 or 6 more now?)  :D

I actually bought John's (original, not Vexter) Fuzz Factory off him. It was a bit too mental for me at the time - only using it at home. It's an AWESOME pedal, though. I had to get rid of it for monetary reasons: I honestly couldn't justify keeping it for the amount of use I was getting from it.

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:15 am

Thanks all - have wanted a FF for ages anyway, will have to generate some cash first, mind. Will try and build a tonebender clone too. Thanks again.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:15 am

Cheap: Boss FZ-series
Expensive: Frantone Sweet

Cheers, Michael
Nobody exists on purpose.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:09 am

The other guitarist in my band uses a Fuzz Factory occasionally.  It's quite tempermental and difficult to use live - either get's lost in the mix or makes dirty sounds when you''re not playing.  I tease him and call it the Fart Factory.

I just ordered a BYOC Ultimate Fuzz that has both silicon and germanium transistors to mix and match.  I'll report in when it's here.  I use a Big Muff, but it's often too gainy to be useful, and sometimes gets lost in the live mix even when loud.

Fuzz's are strange beasts.

-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:05 pm

jetset wrote: The other guitarist in my band uses a Fuzz Factory occasionally.  It's quite tempermental and difficult to use live - either get's lost in the mix or makes dirty sounds when you''re not playing.  I tease him and call it the Fart Factory.

I just ordered a BYOC Ultimate Fuzz that has both silicon and germanium transistors to mix and match.  I'll report in when it's here.   I use a Big Muff, but it's often too gainy to be useful, and sometimes gets lost in the live mix even when loud.

Fuzz's are strange beasts.

-J
I also noticed that my Big Muff often disappear when I play in my band..I think mostly it's caused by the insane bottom end of that pedal..so I find that the best way to hear the real Big Muff sound is to turn its tone knob all the way on the higs..and solve the consequent volume decrease cranking the level and the gain..in that way you still have the classic violin sustain but now you can hear it!!...now I've started thinking that cranking the tone knob  is the best way to use my pedals and obtain good and of course audible sounds..maybe it could work with yours..
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?