The joy of minimal effects

Everyone needs a stompbox.
idiotbear

The joy of minimal effects

Post by idiotbear » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 am

I've retired two pedals from my already stripped-down setup and I'm left with this:

The tuner and the AB box don't count so I'm down to three, just dirt and delay. I don't think I've ever been happier with a board.

Who else is keeping it simple?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The joy of minimal effects

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:21 am

Yep, similar here, but I added a volume pedal recently. I'm yet to use it in an ensemble setting so not sure if it'll stay.

Tuner->Volume->Distortion (x2)->Delay.

If/when I get motivation I'd like to construct a new pedalboard that'll fit in an average sized backpack.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:08 am

Went down from a Pedaltrain Mini to a Nano. 5 Boxes, soon to be less when I get a new amp that covers the Gainy sounds better.

I was watching the rooftop Beatles footage a week or two ago and it still blew me away how they were playing straight into those Twin Reverbs and just doing their thing. The sound was definitely raw, but you barely thought about it while listening to the tunes.

A lesson for us all, perhaps.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:13 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
A lesson for us all, perhaps.
Indeed yes. We could all spend less time sniffing cork, and more time thinking about tunes. I mean, fair enough obsessing a little more over sound if you're in the studio, but I've got £50 that says most people on here are playing in contexts where you can't tell a DS-1 from a Swollen Pickle, if they're playing out at all. I don't say that in a judgey way, just that I really regret my 10 years of gear obsession. I talked the fight, rather than doing the fighting, for far too long.

I really wanted to trade down to a Mini or a Nano, but I just can't fit my pedals on. They're big old enclosures, especially the Maxon and the EQD.

niemand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niemand » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:22 am

Last edited by niemand on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:38 am

My "working board" at home is still pretty big, but i've recording a batch of demos lately and simpler is working better. I've basically just dialed in a good sound on my Rat, and stomp on a mild reverb for lead-y parts. A few tracks get doubled with a big slashing fuzz to beef them up a little, but it's really just gilding the lily at that point.

It's impressive how far a Rat and a reverb will get you. And while I'm not selling my Fender Blender anytime soon, NOT thinking about tweaking tonez has definitely put the emphasis back on SONGS, and I've been writing much, much more since putting my pedal obsession on hold. It's a refreshing change.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:50 am

DocCarlson wrote: I'm becoming very sloppy, I'm sad to say...
Me too, I was always a little bit sloppy but the big change for me has been getting used to playing standing up again! I'm going to hitch my strap right up, I think - I'm finding my barre chords down near the nut to be quite hard work with the change in angle! :fp:

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:06 pm

what does "minimal" mean? ;)
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

Jacco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jacco » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Only two - reverb and delay. Though if all goes well there will be a Lovepedal Amp 50 on the board soon too:

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Ooh, Solemate - nice. If I hadn't bought an amp with spring reverb, I'd have been all over one of those.

amplituden
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amplituden » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:53 pm

I like it simple, Boss TU-2, Fulltone Distortion Pro, Fulltone Fat Boost. Occasionally I will put my Delay in the chain but usually not.

theslack5
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theslack5 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:06 pm

I've been stripping my board back lately as I was lugging loads of stuff around I wasn't using.Mine is now vox wah(only use it on one song), Nick Greer relic drive,Trex Alberta and Carbon copy.I have ditched my reverb,big muff, phaser and tremolo.I am the singer and only guitarist in my band so keeping things simple has become the best way for me, I had loads of trouble going from verse to chorus and having to switch a pedal off and two on all while singing.

hatbox_ghost
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hatbox_ghost » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:08 pm

There is truly nothing better than turning off all of your pedals and realizing your guitar sounds absolutely stunning, if not better, on its own.

Recently Ive' been running just my holy grail, hotcake and then memory toy in that order. There is something magical about reverb before OD.

Jacco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jacco » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:11 pm

idiotbear wrote:Ooh, Solemate - nice. If I hadn't bought an amp with spring reverb, I'd have been all over one of those.
Thanks! Yeah none of my amps have reverb. It's a clunky case and it almost didn't make my board, but I'm glad it's there now! Great reverb it is.

And indeed some songs just sound better with guitar and amp only.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Honestly, I could probably happily get by with just the amp - natural overdrive and reverb. I would miss the nasty glitch of the Hoof Reaper, though.